Take the IQ Quiz: How Prepared Are You to Avoid Scams and Fraud? Earn Double Reward Points!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 1 of 71

@n566192lwrote:

I JUST SAW ON THE NEWS TONIGHT, NEW JERSEY HAS A 17 YEAR-OLD OSPREY. I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THESE BIRDS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK. NANCY

@n566192l Wow! That's awesome. I didn't realize they could live that long. I guess fish is good for you. LOL. Smiley Happy

Last night we took a walk along an area of the river that as a lot of former gravel ponds (now reclaimed open space/wildlife habitat) along side. This section of river also sports 3 osprey nests.  There were birds sitting in all three nests and two birds perching on nearby poles (guarding, I think) while another was fishing the ponds. The one that was fishing took some half dozen dramatic high flying swoops toward the water, then came up with a 10" fish. Then it flew all around the other osprey, fish in talons, as if to say: "See what I caught? Yum, yum!"  It finally landed on a pole and ate the fish.

There was an osprey nest across the river from my place on the reservation (you know: many, many moons ago). I always enjoyed watching them. Like you, I'm happy to see their numbers increase.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 71

I JUST SAW ON THE NEWS TONIGHT, NEW JERSEY HAS A 17 YEAR-OLD OSPREY. I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THESE BIRDS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK. NANCY

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 71

THANKS EPSTER, I WILL PLAY NANCY DREW WITH THIS BIRD. I AM LEARNING SO MUCH FOR YOU!!!! Nancy

Message 4 of 71

@n566192lwrote:

EPSTER,

THANKS FOR THE VIDEO. I HAVE A QUESTION.... WHICH BIRD IS UP AT 4 am? I live in Eatontown, NJ. OVER THE PAST FEW MORNINGS, I FEEL LIKE I'M AT Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I may not be able to see the birds, but I sure can hear them.

Hi Nancy @n566192l. Hard to guess what bird is singing in the early morning there.  When we lived in northern California, there was a Western Kingbird that woke hubby up each day at 3:30. It would perch atop a 60' pine and sing non-stop until the sun came up. DH kinda hated that bird. LOL. But I doubt that's the species you are hearing.

I looked all over the web for a good collection of New Jersey songbird recordings, but didn't find one. So here's Wikipedia's list of birds in New Jersey. A place to start, maybe (though it is so long I think it would take about forever to figure out which bird from this list). Still, it certainly does show you what an impressive array of birds your state hosts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_New_Jersey

And here's a site dedicated to New Jersey birds. You can sign up to receive their free newsletter. http://www.newjerseybirds.com

Then I found this Facebook group, New Jersey Birders: https://www.facebook.com/groups/njbirds/about/  Possibly you can ask this group of birders to help you ID your early morning songbird. (My guess is American goldfinch, but that's a wild you-know-what guess. :0))

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Have fun with this! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 5 of 71

@l483260l  Yep; I've seen robin eggs that were a lighter blue, but mostly the ones I've seen are this vibrant almost turquoise blue.

I look forward to traveling around in retirement (think RV) so we can see birds from all over. Cardinals are on the list. I was thrilled by them as a child when they'd frequent my grandfather's property in the Arkansas Ozarks. Such beautiful birds!

I'm glad you are having fun with the birds local to you. Smiley Happy

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 71
CARDINALS HERE ALMOST EVERY YEAR- I NAMED THE MALE "BIG DADDY RED"& HAVE DECIDED HIS MATE IS KATHERINE- IN HONOR OF KATHERINE HEPBURN("RED") IN "PHILADELPHIA STORY". THEY SING ALMOST AS BEAUTIFULLY AS THE ROBINS OF "SARGE AND COMPANY".
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 71
THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION- THEY ARE REALLY BLUE, AREN'T THEY? ALMOST TURQUOISE.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 71

EPSTER,

THANKS FOR THE VIDEO. I HAVE A QUESTION.... WHICH BIRD IS UP AT 4 am? I live in Eatontown, NJ. OVER THE PAST FEW MORNINGS, I FEEL LIKE I'M AT Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I may not be able to see the birds, but I sure can hear them.

Message 9 of 71

@n566192l  Nancy, I found a video of a northern cardinal family on the nest. The parents are both tending the young.  Thought you'd enjoy it. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 71

@l483260lwrote:
THANKS FOR SHARING THE VIDEO- I LEARNED MORE. QUESTION IS ARE ROBIN'S EGGS REALLY(ROBIN EGG) BLUE? IF ROBINS GET "DRUNK ON JUNIPER BERRIES, THEN MY ROBIN IS IN GOOD COMPANY, CAUSE SHE LIKED HER BEERS!

@l483260l LOL! That's great about hte beer. Smiley Happy

Here's a video of a mother robin tending her hatching young. Enjoy.