Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 1 of 86
HAS A "BIRDS " TOPIC BEEN DONE YET ? HOW ABOUT "MOCKING-BIRD-YEAH" BY JAMES TAYLOR & CARLY SIMON:?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WM_R-6AKHE
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 86

EPSTER,

GREAT VIDEO!!!!. I WISH I COULD FIND A BIRD WATCHING GROUP BE ME. THANKS FOR SHARING, YOU ROCK!!!.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 86

Here's a video of a Bullock's Oriole for anyone interested. I think the female has the crabbiest, hardest-edged call. To me, she always seems to be complaining. But I like her anyway. Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIzUC7RW84

(Sorry about just posting the link, but I could not get the actual video to post.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 86

Bullock's Orioles are back!  We just heard (then saw) one in an American Elm that they'd previously nested in. This male, however, did not seem impressed with the tree and moved on. Hopefully, though, we'll again host a pair of (noisy) nesting orioles in that tree.

Here's Cornell's page on Bullock's Orioles: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bullocks_oriole

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 86

We took two birding walks yesterday and managed to see two new-to-us species. One we added to our life list, but the other we did not, because we failed to take our birding field guide and so were not positive that we'd IDd it correctly. But here's what we think we saw: a solitary Stilt Sandpiper.

stilt sandpiper.jpgStilt Sandpiper

Here's a link to Cornell's ID info for this shorebird: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Stilt_Sandpiper/id

We hope to be able to find this bird again and ID it positively. The other shorebird, though, we are certain was a Black-necked Stilt. Actually, we watched four of them feeding voraciously along the banks of a lake.

Here's a nice video of this species feeding and calling:

[video]

We also watched swallows gather mud for their homes, pelicans alternately fishing and resting, an osprey pair taking turns on their nest, grackles making a bunch of noise Smiley Happy; an avocet darting around eating bugs, tri-winged and yellow headed blackbirds singing from the cattails, and the regulars (Canada geese, mallards and gadwalls) looking a bit amazed at the influx of activity on what was a rather quiet pond this winter.

But we felt the best sighting of the day was a revisit with the great horned owlets we'd spotted a few weeks ago. They have lost their fluff and seem >this close< to fledging, as they completely take up available space in the nest. Indeed, they are overflowing the nest and so rather look like an owl themed cookie jar as they sit there silently waiting for what we call the parental food machines to return with a catch.

Here's a video I found of great horned owls from hatch to fledge. Hopefully we'll be able to see these northern Colorado owlets actually leave the nest soon. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 86

I wanted to suggest that folks who are interested in meeting birders and learning about local to you birds could look into local birding groups. There will be more posted, but at this moment, there are over 100 free and low-cost May birding events being offered in my area (and promoted by a birding group that keeps a master calendar).  These informative and fun events range from evening lectures and slide shows to all-day field trips to nearby birding hotspots and leisure 1-mile walks through local parks with birding experts. Hubby and I have learned a ton by attending such events.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 86

@bb24106734  Goldfinches have such a sweet song; I love it when they stop by to feed in our northern CO field.

I haven't seen a rose-breasted grosbeak, but since they are members of the finch/waxbill family, I expected them to have a lovely song as well. Yep. Here's a video of one singing:

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 86

goldfinches and more goldfinches.....the nj state bird.  Also saw my first rose-breasted grosbeak

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 86

I've been seeing great horned owls, great blue herons and osprey pritnear every day.

Each of the 5 local osprey nests we know of along the bike trail are currently occupied by a breeding pair. The numerous blue heron rookeries (also tending to be along the bike trail) are busy and the skies and waterways are practically teeming with heron activity. (this is only a slight exaggeration) And for some reason suddenly I have a weird ability to spot great horned owls hiding in trees even if I'm in a car passing them at 55 MPH. Lots of owlets in nests and mommas on perches out there. Apparently I have a new superpower: owl spotting. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 86

@n566192lwrote:

THE NEWS SHOWED A CLIP OF A FULL WING SPANNED HAWK. THE HAWK WAS CARRYING A SHARK WITH A FISH IN ITS MOUTH. CIRCLE OF LIFE SHOT.

@n566192l  What a great shot! I went a-looking on the 'net for it. Here it is for anyone who, like me, didn't get to see it on the news:

osprey with shark with fish.jpgAn osprey carrying a shark that has a fish in its mouth

Here's the story: https://gardenandgun.com/articles/osprey-carries-shark-carrying-fish/

Amazing shot. Thanks Nancy, for telling us about it. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views