From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 31 of 86

WOW, TODAY MY YARD HAD ABOUT 10 Cardinals IN IT. THE REDS ARE GREAT.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 86

@l483260l  Here in the Rocky Mountain foothills we have a similar springtime weather experience: anything goes, and we regularly get 4 seasons within a week. This makes me wonder where the birds go to ride out storms.  Here's hoping your robins return soon.

Speaking of weird weather causing birds to change locations, we haven't confirmed this with binoculars yet, but our old eyes insist that we saw a 50-bird flock of red-breasted mergansers Sunday evening in a trailside pond. They sure can (and do, I guess) migrate north through our locale, but generally migrate north following a path up the great plains. Anyway, we hope to get back out there for a better look.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-breasted_Merganser/overview

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 86
THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING- NOW I KNOW A BIT MORE ABOUT MY "ROBIN' SHE/HE ANN COMPANY HAVEN'T COME CLOSE THE LAST 2 DAYS- WEATHER HERE= A COLD SNAP/ HIGH WINDS, BUT THAT'S SPRINGTIME IN TEXAS. I HAVE FAITH THEY'LL BE BACK THIS WEEK AS TEMPS RETURN TO THE 70'S.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 86

@n566192lwrote:

EPSTER,

The pictures you posted are GREAT!!!. ANYWAY, THE NEST IS ON A TELEPHONE POLE. OUT IN THE OPEN. I WILL FIND OUT MORE. I WISH I COULD TAKE AND SEND PICTURES. I HAVE TO BE TAUGHT HOW TO USE THIS PHONE. NANCY

@n566192l  You are way ahead of me: I don't even have a cell phone. Smiley Happy

Locally osprey and other raptors use telephone poles (and those tall parking lot light fixtures) for nesting purposes. The powers that be have been constructing nesting platforms for them, trying to lure them off the utility poles. This is pretty successful, though there's still a pair of osprey nesting on a light fixture in a downtown baseball field. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 86

EPSTER,

The pictures you posted are GREAT!!!. ANYWAY, THE NEST IS ON A TELEPHONE POLE. OUT IN THE OPEN. I WILL FIND OUT MORE. I WISH I COULD TAKE AND SEND PICTURES. I HAVE TO BE TAUGHT HOW TO USE THIS PHONE. NANCY

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 86

Hi Nancy! @n566192l  Oooooh! Sounds like you may have spotted a bald eagle nest.  They typically build huge nests high in a tree. The nests are made out of sticks. It could also be an osprey nest. (Eagles sometimes take over osprey nests)

Here's a web page devoted to baldies. Scroll to the bottom to see a few pictures of bald eagle nests: http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/eagle4.html

Here's a video about eagle nests ... or, more specifically, the wildlife department's quest to build a nest in the perfect spot to help out a pair of baldies whose nest was destroyed by a storm.

And here are a few images of bald eagle nests. If the nest you saw is smaller than these, or lower in the trees, then it could be a different bird of prey species (raptor or owl, say) nest.

grantcollier's yellowstone eagle nest pic.jpgGrant Colliers Yellowstone baldie nest pic

nicolasdorys eagle nest pic.jpgNicolas Dory's baldie nest pic

bald eagle nest.jpgBald eagle nest pic found on the web

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 86

GREETINGS EVERYONE,

While driving through the now closed army base, Fort MONMOUTH, I looked up and saw a large nest. THE base is in New Jersey. I don't know what type of bird the nest is for. Or if the nest was man made or not. If there are any ideas out there please let me know. The nest is very large. Thanks Nancy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 86

@l483260lwrote:

FIRST BIRD I SAW OUT BACK WHEN I BOUGHT THIS HOUSE IN 2009 WAS A HUMMINGBIRD HOVERING AROUND THE BEAUTIFUL ORANGE TRUMPET VINE FLOWERS. TRUMPET VINE IS VERY INVASIVE HERE IN NORTH TEXAS. IT HAS SINCE  PULLED DOWN PARTS OF MY 6 FT. WOOD FENCE &  PRIED UP  SECTIONS OF SIDING ON   MY HOUSE. THERE IS A HUGE (3 FOOT DIAMETER) DRIED OUT TRUMPET VINE "NEST" ON THE BACK FENCE  (WHERE I SAW THE HUMMINGBIRD). WHEN IT DRIES OUT IN COLD WEATHER, IT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT NEST & THERE ARE STILL  BIRDS HANGING OUT  THER .  SO WHEN  I HAD THE FENCE FIXED, I REQUIRED THAT THEY CLEAN ALL UP, EXCEPT LEAVE THE BIRD HABITAT. SO GLAD I  DID, CAUSE THAT IS WHERE   "SARGE ANN COMPANY"( THE ROBINS) ARE HANGING OUT    HERE LATELY. AHH SPRING( MOSTLY-!) SO GLAD IT'S NOT  YET "SILENT SPRING"

@l483260l A case of 'if you build it --or in this case, leave it-- they will come', eh? Awesomeness! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 86

FIRST BIRD I SAW OUT BACK WHEN I BOUGHT THIS HOUSE IN 2009 WAS A HUMMINGBIRD HOVERING AROUND THE BEAUTIFUL ORANGE TRUMPET VINE FLOWERS. TRUMPET VINE IS VERY INVASIVE HERE IN NORTH TEXAS. IT HAS SINCE  PULLED DOWN PARTS OF MY 6 FT. WOOD FENCE &  PRIED UP  SECTIONS OF SIDING ON   MY HOUSE. THERE IS A HUGE (3 FOOT DIAMETER) DRIED OUT TRUMPET VINE "NEST" ON THE BACK FENCE  (WHERE I SAW THE HUMMINGBIRD). WHEN IT DRIES OUT IN COLD WEATHER, IT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT NEST & THERE ARE STILL  BIRDS HANGING OUT  THER .  SO WHEN  I HAD THE FENCE FIXED, I REQUIRED THAT THEY CLEAN ALL UP, EXCEPT LEAVE THE BIRD HABITAT. SO GLAD I  DID, CAUSE THAT IS WHERE   "SARGE ANN COMPANY"( THE ROBINS) ARE HANGING OUT    HERE LATELY. AHH SPRING( MOSTLY-!) SO GLAD IT'S NOT  YET "SILENT SPRING"

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 86

@l483260lwrote:
SAW MY VERY FIRST ROBIN OUT THE BACK DOOR THIS MONTH- BEAUTIFUL THING IS THAT A DEAR OLD FRIEND NAMED ROBIN( SHE COULD REALLY SING & "MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE") JUST PASSED AWAY, SO ' I'VE NAMED THE PROUDLY & LOUDLY SINGING,WHISTLING ROBIN IN HER HONOR-"SARGE" MY NICKNAME FOR THIS INCREDIBILE WOMAN WHO WAS A SERGEANT IN THE ARMY. THE ANSWERING BIRD IS "ANN COMPANY", AS IN 'SARGE AND COMPANY.'THEY'VE SANG BACK & FORTH FOR THE LAST WEEK PLUS, EXCEPT TIL THIS WEEKEND WHEN CRAZY TEXAS WEATHER DIPPED INTO 30'S- 40'S AGAIN!

That's such a lovely remembrance; thanks for sharing it with us. Smiley Happy

Robins are a chatty bird, aren't they? Here they like to hang out (and nest) in the juniper trees. Not all of them stay for our Rocky Mountain winters, but those that do like to eat the juniper berries after they are fermented. They seem to get drunk on them.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season