Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Bluebirds! Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 51 of 86

Bluebirds are back and heading to the high country!

We've heard from birders out on the plains that mountain bluebirds have been visiting their yards, but last evening during a hike in the Rocky Mountain foothills, saw a good sized flock for ourselves. They summer in the high country, though we do get to see them in the foothills, too, during the warmer months.

Also: we have spotted towhees in our yard again! Yay!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 52 of 86

I am here to tell you that Spring Migration is well underway along the Front Range in northern Colorado. We traveled around to a few favored farm ponds and saw northern shovelers, buffleheads, canvasbacks, lesser scaups, redneads, ring-necked ducks, American wigeons, mallards, Canada geese, common goldeneyes, gadwalls and northern pintails. All of these species were in impressive quantity, but the redheads were by far the most numerous: I think we saw two thousand all told. Plus we saw a rough legged hawk, American coots, a number of kestrels and ... two herds of buffalo. Bison, to be precise. One of the herds is genetically pure. (Story: https://www.thefencepost.com/news/csu-releases-herd-of-genetically-pure-bison-into-soapstone-prairie...) There's about 30 in that herd now. It was started 2.5 years ago with 12 bison. They lost a couple over the first winter, but the breeding program has been successful since.

The buffleheads were in mating dance mode, which always makes for a fun viewing, as they are such clowns. Smiley Happy

How about you? Are you seeing migrating birds now? What other birds are you seeing now?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 86

@n566192lwrote:

@bb24106734wrote:

Here in NW New Jersey I'm seeing red winged blackbirds and more bluebirds at my backyard feeders.

In Central New Jersey, I see Blue Jays, they are nesting in my yard

@n566192l  That's fun! Jays are often thought of as noisy birds, but the blue jays are so pretty, I personally never mind the noise. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 86

@bb24106734wrote:

Here in NW New Jersey I'm seeing red winged blackbirds and more bluebirds at my backyard feeders.

In Central New Jersey, I see Blue Jays, they are nesting in my yard

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 86

@bb24106734wrote:

@bb24106734 Enjoy these colorful visitors!

We're in the Rockies and had a handful of red winged blackbirds hang out all winter (it was mostly mild weather-wise) but yesterday on the bike trail we saw and heard hundreds of them. It seems they decided to come back early. A birding friend who lives a out on the Colorado plains reported bluebirds in his yard yesterday, so perhaps we will have an early spring. Smiley Happy 

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 86

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 86

A funny thing happened on the way to the bike trail today. We heard about a super-rare-for-our-area bird sighting. A solitary Red-necked grebe was ID'd feasting in a nearby pond. So. Off we went to find this Colorado visiting bird that usually winters in the ocean and summers in Canada.

See it we did. While mallads and Canada geese asked passersby for handouts and American Wigeons played on the ice, this far from home grebe spent its time diving, feasting, resting, repeat, all over the pond in the middle of the city.

Here's the Cornell overview page for Red-necked grebes: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-necked_Grebe/overview

And the Cornell ID page for the Red-necked grebe: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-necked_Grebe/media-browser-overview/65057141

Here's a public domain image of the Red-necked grebe:

public domaine red necked grebe.jpgRed-necked grebe

Tomorrow we bike. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 86

How about everybody else? What birds are you seeing now?

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 86

Bird number 215 on our life list today: Harris's Hawk!

We didn't get photos, but one of the local birding club members posted a bunch of pictures he took this week of this particular bird:  http://coloradobirder.club/m/photos/browse/album/Running-Deer-Natural-Area-Fort-Collins/

This picture from Wikipedia doesn't show the white band on the tip of the bird's tail, but that, of course was instrumental in our ability to ID it.

Harris's_Hawk_(Parabuteo_unicinctus)_3_of_4_in_set.jpghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris's_hawk#/media/File:Harris%27s_Hawk_(Parabuteo_unicinctus)_3_of_4_in_set.jpg 

Unbelievably, for Harris's Hawk is a southern Texas and southern Arizona residing bird, this hawk has been reported hanging around an open space park here in northern Colorado from 7:30-9 AM for a couple weeks. We learned of it yesterday through birding friends and braved the freezing fog and 27F to go up and walk through the park.

And we were rewarded: the adult Harris's Hawk perched in a large cottonwood tree while we excitedly watched him through binoculars. A fellow birder from down Denver way arrived moments after we spotted the hawk and offered us use of his scope. He has over 500 life birds on his list. While he'd seen the Harris's in Arizona, this was the first time he'd seen it in Colorado.

We were treated to an aerial display, for the hawk clearly needed breakfast. Up and down the field it flew, eventually leaving the environs toward the south. 

Here's the Cornell page for the Harris's Hawk: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Harriss_Hawk/id

And here's the Audubon page for the Harris's Hawk: http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/harriss-hawk

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 86

So it turned out to be a good idea to go birding today. While we were not treated again to flocks of various species, we did spy a small group of greater white-fronted geese mixed in with roughly 3,000 Canada geese and 2 dozen snow geese. They'd congregated at a group of gravel ponds. The snow geese seemed integrated into the Canada geese community, some of them taking flight along with the Canada geese, while others remained in what appeared to be a family group.

The greater white-fronted geese were clearly less at ease but still part of the congregation. Both snow and white-fronted geese are supposed to be uncommon here, though we see snow geese every year. This is our first positive ID of greater white-fronted geese. (yay!Smiley Happy)

gwfg_gt.jpgGreater White-fronted Goose

More on the greater white-fronted goose here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Greater_White-fronted_Goose/id

Kudos
Views