Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 71 of 86

Hi, I am seeing chickadees, house finches, goldfinches, cardinals, sparrows, nut

hatches, downy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, blue jays, juncos, and when the snow comes the grackles like the suet. Very early mornings you can here an owl, but yet to see one.  Oh can't forget the doves. They are regulars!  I live in Northwest NJ where i also see in back woods, red tailed hawks.  A week ago i saw a bald eagle near the Delaware River!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 86

@jl74436857  I bet your backyard birds have come to rely on your gracious feeding. Keep it up (and thank you!) Smiley Happy

Try to stay warm.  

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 86

We got about 3" of snow on Xmas eve, and it's been very cold. Highs will be in the low-mid teens or even single digits all week and weekend. A little more snow expected today and tomorrow.  Amazing that these birds can cope with it. I'm sure they use the seed in my feeders to help them stay warm inside!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 86

@ip3285 wrote:

The  barn owl is back in his box and sits in the doorway and watches me as I go down to feed the goats in the morning.  I always wave to him.  The hummingbirds are back, too.  When I was watering some plants that are under the bird feeders that hang in front of the bay window, a hummingbird hovered in front of my face for several seconds.  The huge crows are back in full force, as are the mourning doves.  Then there are sparrows by the hundreds, it seems.  It's fun to have a place that's "for the birds"!

@ip3285  Indeed, your place always sounds like paradise. Smiley Happy

I'm glad you haven't been affected by the toxic smoke from the So Cal fires.

What variety of hummingbirds do you get?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 86

@jl74436857  Forgive me: that's right, you're in Illinois.

Yep: nothing like a bird of prey for clearing a 'room'. Smiley Happy The mergansers and buffleheads we saw were swimming on a lake whilst freezing fog lifted from the surface and drifted to the western banks, covering the trees with ice ... truly gorgeous. They all flew away when the bald eagle came over. The Canada geese bunched together, but otherwise didn't try to get out of the eagle's way.

We get the black-capped chickadees too, but the mountain variety only come to this elevation when it's super cold up at the Continental Divide. I enjoy their song. To me it sounds like they are laughing. Smiley Happy

Do you have much snow at your place? Ours wil be all gone today: we're forecast high 40s. So we might see different birds here in the next few days.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 86

The chickadees are the black-capped ones.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 86

I'm in Illinois, northwest of Chicago (seeing the purple finches, dark-eyed juncos, sparrows, chickadees and cardinals. Before winter, also saw goldfinches and doves. We had a hawk perch for a couple hours on my balcony several weeks ago, and while there, no smaller birds came around, of course.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 86

I

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 86

Waaaa: our birding trip was a bust. All we saw this afternoon were Canada geese. But there were hundreds. Smiley Wink

Yesterday we did see a bald eagle and about a dozen common mergansers plus a handful of buffleheads. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 86

The  barn owl is back in his box and sits in the doorway and watches me as I go down to feed the goats in the morning.  I always wave to him.  The hummingbirds are back, too.  When I was watering some plants that are under the bird feeders that hang in front of the bay window, a hummingbird hovered in front of my face for several seconds.  The huge crows are back in full force, as are the mourning doves.  Then there are sparrows by the hundreds, it seems.  It's fun to have a place that's "for the birds"!

Kudos
Views