Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Wearing jeans @ the age of 80?

Message 61 of 84

MaVolta wrote:

I used to travel a lot when I worked, and the modern synthetics are great for that. We don't travel as much now, but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!

OK @MaVolta an @retiredtraveler  

You are going to have to tell us more about your travels!  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 62 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

I am not one to judge people's clothes very much, unless I find something to admire. Heaven knows I wear the strangest garb at home in the summer.  I was thinking about this because of being snubbed at the senior center.  It hurt my feelings in spite of my wishing to shrug it off.

omg @LaDolceVita  you think they shunned you for the way you dress.. boy that is mean.  Is it a really special senior center?  cause the one I have seen, well, nobody would be able to talk about anyone else. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 63 of 84

retiredtraveler wrote:

"... but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!....".

No tennis shoes? I read that one can spot the American tourists as so many of us (yeah me) wear them. Those are my everything-but-hiking shoes.

Yes, that's correct! Tennis shoes, or athletic shoes, are considered taboo except for exercising, of course.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 84

"... but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!....".

I wish I could travel that light. I do hiking, so I take hiking gear (boots, pack, emergency gear, first aid, extra layers, poles, canteen).  But yes, the rest is synthetic.

No tennis shoes? I read that one can spot the American tourists as so many of us (yeah me) wear them. Those are my everything-but-hiking shoes.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 65 of 84

retiredtraveler wrote:

Ok. For my usual counter-posting. Why wear jeans? They're stiff, hot (as in too warm), and they absorb moisture.  Because we travel, and especially walk and hike, they're useless. We don't own them.

We wear clothes that don't absorb moisture. I will wear something like Dickies for street wear at home, but for all traveling, it's nylon microfiber or other new materials (high tech) that repel or don't absorb water.  

I guess that just makes me weird. Have not worn blue jeans since my teens. And I've never owned a pair of shorts other than for gym class.

@retiredtraveler - I don't think that makes you weird, it makes you practical! Smiley Happy

I used to travel a lot when I worked, and the modern synthetics are great for that. We don't travel as much now, but last trip to Europe, we took wash and drip-dry clothing. We had one large duffle bag for the two of us, and no jeans or tennis shoes made the trip!

Message 66 of 84

retiredtraveler wrote:

Ok. For my usual counter-posting. Why wear jeans? They're stiff, hot (as in too warm), and they absorb moisture.  Because we travel, and especially walk and hike, they're useless. We don't own them.

We wear clothes that don't absorb moisture. I will wear something like Dickies for street wear at home, but for all traveling, it's nylon microfiber or other new materials (high tech) that repel or don't absorb water.  

I guess that just makes me weird. Have not worn blue jeans since my teens. And I've never owned a pair of shorts other than for gym class.

@retiredtraveler Not weird at all. Or maybe that should be we're both weird, as all summer I lived in spandex/lycra capris and cycling tights. But for street wear (when I bother to change out of cycling apparel) I wear jeans. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 67 of 84

@retiredtraveler - We dress for different occasions; I wouldn't wear jeans in the heat of the summer, or on a hike .. but they can be fine for other casual activities. And if you like, wear & wash a pair regularly, they're no longer stiff & uncomfortable .. some start out "weathered" and comfortable from the get-go. When I walk in cold weather, I have a Gortex suit.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 68 of 84

@retiredtraveler  I find them comfortable in all but the warmest weather.  They make me feel good. 

@WebWiseWomanI agree with Diane, the 80s mom look was funny. 

@ASTRAEA

I wasnt necessarily thinking of the blue haired old lady look, I was thinking of the pants many worn by women over 60. Pants which do not change as fashion changes. Pants made of something a bit stretchy, kind of wide legged but not too, usually with a stretch waist. Very comfortable. Please note that I am not criticing this. I just do not like to wear pants like that. Shoes with perhaps an inch of heel usually of a dark color. The blouse is never tucked.

Now as to what what we are supposed to look like.  Well, there are some current pictures of Cher that defy the laws of gravity and all other rules.  No one wants to aim for ridiculous. Woman Wink

I am not one to judge people's clothes very much, unless I find something to admire. Heaven knows I wear the strangest garb at home in the summer.  I was thinking about this because of being snubbed at the senior center.  It hurt my feelings in spite of my wishing to shrug it off.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 69 of 84

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 70 of 84

WebWiseWoman wrote:

Female probably longer than male; saw Paul McCartney in jeans with tucked in shirt; UGLY.

Wearing maybe a Hawaiian shirt outside might have been okay; men just don't look good when they look the 80's mom look...

Just saying

@WebWiseWoman  ok  this was really funny  "  men just don't look good when they look the 80's mom look..."  !