Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Wearing jeans @ the age of 80?

Message 41 of 84

@ph8322 - Just remember this important fact: "old" ALWAYS means 10 years older than you are .. no matter how old that is! Smiley Wink

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 84

ASTRAEA wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

The thread about looking your age started me thinking about the wearing of the jeans!  And for how long you can get away with wearing them. 

OK, I decided to start back at the original post with this one: What exactly IS someone 80, 90 or 100 SUPPOSED TO look like?! There are some very obvious things people probably wouldn't wear, but how much different are 80-90-100 from 70?!

My grandmother was 74 when I was born, and back in the 1950s she had the typical "little old lady" grandma look .. and I know women in their mid-80s now, who look & dress like she did .. or are more stylish .. than when she was 10 years younger!

I'd say that anything that isn't too extreme is fine, if it's comfortable, easy for the person to put on & take off, and isn't a high-maintenance garment.

I love to see the older ladies all dressed up.   I just hope I will be up to doing the same,  well only got 10 more years   

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 43 of 84

ReTiReD51 wrote:

Became blue jean mindful in about 1966 when I bought my first pair of 28-30 Levi’s for $6. Today I pay $45 for a 38-30 pair of Levis. Like the way they fit and look so much I’m going to have them bury me in a pair. Hope they’re still making them when I’m 90.

Yes, I remember the Levi's in 1966,  I only paid $4 from J.C. Penneys,  They were mens jeans, so we immediatly took home, washed is the hottest water,  dryer and if still were not tight enough actually sewed in the seam.    I forgot what size I bought.   

These days I find Gloria Vanderbilts stretch jeans work good   Although did find a pair of Levis, stretchy,  and really soft material.  All come in different colors.  I really like... 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

Seems to me after a certain age many women let their hair go gray. Perhaps it is hard to get away with dying your hair after a certain age w/o looking brassy or contrived?  I am thinking that I will continue with the hair dying indefinitely.  Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

Some of my hair had started to turn gray when I was early 30's. I used a "natural looking" (brunette) hair color for many years to hide the gray. Then one day, I decided to go extreme, and bleached it out to an ash blonde color. Oh my! It looked like straw, and the texture felt about the same! I finally colored it back to brunette, and kept it that way until my mid-40's, and then let it go natural. By then it was a nice salt n' pepper. Now it's a lot salt, with a little pepper! 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

I am not one to judge people's clothes very much, unless I find something to admire. Heaven knows I wear the strangest garb at home in the summer.  I was thinking about this because of being snubbed at the senior center.  It hurt my feelings in spite of my wishing to shrug it off.

omg @LaDolceVita  you think they shunned you for the way you dress.. boy that is mean.  Is it a really special senior center?  cause the one I have seen, well, nobody would be able to talk about anyone else. 

Diane, everyone is usually friendly, when they glance up from their smart phones that is!  This woman sat next to me for over an hour during a bus trip & tried to even avoid looking at me.  She was quite friendly to all others.   She still looks past me whenever she sees me.  Weird, but I can attribute it nothing else than my appearance. 

@LaDolceVita - You're right about the phones, of course! Sometimes it's hard to have a conversation with anyone these days.

It's hard to understand why some people are like Ms. Snubb, or why there are people who judge others by appearance, and whether others meet their personal "dress code". I wear what makes me comfortable, and I figure others can do the same. But this reminds me of a story my daddy told me about a local car dealer.

One day a man came into his dealership, and was having a look around. He had on faded jeans, a work shirt, an old straw hat, and work boots. The dealer suspected he was looking for something on a budget, and was showing him the lower range cars. Then the man told him no, he would prefer something bigger and more comfortable. He walked over to the top of the line cars and pointed to one and said "like that one". The dealer was astonished, but showed him the pricey cars. The man picked one out and said how much. The dealer told him $$$$. The man then paid him with cash, in full, and drove off in the new luxury car. The next day he came back and bought one for his wife! The dealer promptly counseled his sales people to never, ever, judge any customer by how they looked or how they dressed, nor were they to ever assume for what type of car they might be shopping!

Message 46 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

I was watching Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey last night and I was reminded of this topic.  My husband made a comment to the effect that she looks so young.  Yes, she moves like a young woman, wears all kinds of nice clothes and is quite thin at 71. Her face does not look like she had any cosmetic procedures. She also keeps her hair light blonde. 

Seems to me after a certain age many women let their hair go gray. Perhaps it is hard to get away with dying your hair after a certain age w/o looking brassy or contrived?  I am thinking that I will continue with the hair dying indefinitely.  Anyone feel strongly one way or another? 

My hair has been highlighted for many years now, and it just periodically gets varied from more light blond to more darker lowlights. I remember the reaction I got at a charity event where I didn't know anyone, in my mid-50s shortly after I retired .. I became of no interest/use to the people (both male & female) there doing business networking!

So except for saving a lot of money by not doing hair color anymore, I can't imagine that going gray would be of any benefit to me whatsoever! We can complain all we want, that our "value" shouldn't be based on age or work status, but until everyone's on the same page with that .. I'm not going to look older than I have to! 

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 47 of 84

nyadrn wrote:

LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn  HAHA, Diane, you make a terrific champion. Woman Very Happy

I just read on another thread that you will be headed to Hilton Head.  I visited there once in July.  It was so beautiful but hot!!! 

😀

@LaDolceVita  yes  vacations now snowbirding later living later.  It is beautiful. The whole coastal area is beautiful. Summer months are hot and popular with the beach and boating lovers. I prefer the other seasons esp when it is cold and snowing here.  

Ps. I think you would need some jean shorts hahaha

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 48 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

I just read on another thread that you will be headed to Hilton Head.  I visited there once in July.  It was so beautiful but hot!!! 

😀

yes  vacations now snowbirding later living later.  It is beautiful. The whole coastal area is beautiful. Summer months are hot and popular with the beach and boating lovers. I prefer the other seasons esp when it is cold and snowing here.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 49 of 84

I was watching Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey last night and I was reminded of this topic.  My husband made a comment to the effect that she looks so young.  Yes, she moves like a young woman, wears all kinds of nice clothes and is quite thin at 71. Her face does not look like she had any cosmetic procedures. She also keeps her hair light blonde. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 50 of 84

LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn, @gatorgorilla, @ASTRAEA  I do have a good friend at the senior center and we laugh about this woman just as if we were kids!  As to speaking to the snubber, well frankly that is a low priority right now.  Woman Happy 

Glad you and your friend enjoy yourselves. Smiley Happy