Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

WAIKIKI MUSINGS

Waikiki Musings

During the past two weeks, I have encountered on my walks a few unsettling situations: a menacing disheveled old man muttered incoherently and almost bumped me off the sidewalk; a well-dressed young man leered at me and wildly proclaimed that God will just as easily **bleep** me as save me from the snares of Satan; a group of bitter apartment residents behind a screened-in-porch exchanged venomous obscenities as they argued about the unfairness of life. They tremendously disheartened me.

By comparison, I have recently observed that animals can be more affectionate than people. A couple of days ago while I was walking in the neighborhood, a woman holding a small poodle said hello to a female friend of hers who then started to walk toward them. Immediately, the dog jumped out of its ownerโ€™s arms and deliriously encircled the friend, jumping as high as it could and yapping with delight. What sheer joy! It was inspiring.

Today on my walk, I was heartened to see some intimate, life-enhancing camaraderie between people.

This afternoon, I observed a young woman who gently, repeatedly, and rhythmically patted her boyfriend on the butt as they waited to cross the streetโ€”he certainly didnโ€™t complain about getting such attention; later I witnessed a middle-aged man give a heartfelt pat on his wifeโ€™s behindโ€”she responded by slightly wiggling her rear end.

These endearing redemptive moments make me yearn for my wifeโ€™s return from Cancun. It canโ€™t be soon enough: While I was leaving the restroom at the Elks Club earlier in the day, a provocatively dressed woman passed by me. As she did so, she grinned and said โ€œHello darling.โ€ Whoa!

schlomo
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP