Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The love for elevators: Yes there is a hobby

Conversationalist

The love for elevators: Yes there is a hobby

Not much people realize but there is a hobby that some people do have.  And that is there are some who likes to ride elevators and escalators.  Many of us could recall the days when the elevators had gates rather than doors.  I for many, many years cleaned these things.  There are some people with video cameras these days would not only go out and ride the elevators, but would also film their rides on them.  And these guys post their videos on YouTube.  Really for those who want to be in the hobby, all you need is a video camera and a YouTube account and you are set.  The downside to the hobby is that some people has gotten into trouble with security at high rise buildings.  Security officers at these high rise buildings sometimes use 9/11 as an excuse for banning photography and videotaping.  The truth about these places is that just about all your highrise buildings are private property.  Nobody is perfect.  There has been some issues where a guest would film a ride on an elevator and the security officers would tell them to leave if they didn't stop filming.  I myself may be one of the oldest members of the "elevator community" due that I am 57 and about to turn 58 pretty soon.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a great discussion, however, I have a bit of clostrophobia so I have a love for stairs.  I actually saw a set of stairs I want to climb that you can see from the highway and are lit up.  I pulled over and there were in a hospital but I couldn't get access to climb them 😞  Still trying to find someone who works there so I can climb those stairs.  What is your favorite elevator ride?  

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I really adore the old gated kind.  And some I really adore are the ones that were manually driven.  To me any elevator that was installed in the 1960s at the latest are my favorite.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP