Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Pied Piper of Pastry Vindicated

Recognized Social Butterfly

At about 7:30 A.M. yesterday, I happened to walk past Waikiki’s iconic Leonard’s Bakery. It had just opened for the day.  At other times when I have passed by this mecca for sweetaholics, I have seen fairly long lines. But yesterday was a revolting revelation: there were at least 200 people (tourists and locals) congregated over two blocks—all salivating to get their morning sugar high. The aroma from the pastries was seductive, but I refrained, faithfully adhering to my medically supervised sugar-free diet. How easy it was for me to feel superior to these lemmings, now that I have at least recently contained my own life-long addiction to sweets.

The procession didn’t seem to move at all. The sidewalks were so crowded that I had to walk on the main road to get to my nearby lab appointment. Just before I crossed the street, I saw a young man and a young woman lovingly exchange bites of two different pastries, Leonard’s patented malasadas. I don’t know how long they had to wait in line for this uninhibited delight, but they were thoroughly enjoying themselves.

I soon forgot my earlier stiff-necked dismay at so many people deliriously suckered into sweets. This admittedly romantic scene between the couple reminded me of my newlywed son and his bride who joyously fed chunks of wedding cake to each other at their reception almost two months ago.

When I arrived at the clinic, I found out that it was closed for President’s Day. I was disappointed. However, my outing had a redeeming moment: the engaging couple sharing their festive malasadas with complete abandon.  And who knows? Perhaps I will find it easier not to sneer at anyone who dares savor a luscious dessert.

schlomo
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP