Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Share your best fashion secret

AARP asked real women — from age 40 to 90 — to spill their fashion secrets. Read what they say are their secret style weapons.

Mix classics with bold unexpected surprises?  Love what you wear and wear what you love? Tell us--or show us--one of your own go-to style tips below! 

Bronze Conversationalist

I tend to coordinate my clothes, but most of my things work with everything else. I don't wear tight, tight clothes anymore because they are uncomfortable and they show more than I want to show these days. Earrings are a must, and a couple of rings, my Fit watch and a plain simple bracelet. 

Sir Granny Tracy
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Plain simple,  round neck, jewel neckline, to be worn with pearls/scarf, or simple chain. This could be a blouse or dress and can be worn with a sport jacket/sweater/or cardigan. Color choice navy blue, black, purple,  etc. You all have a blessed weekend!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Clean, neat, and appropriate for the occasion whether it be shopping, working out at the gym, or going out to eat at a restaurant.  If I feel comfortable with what I'm wearing in the environment in which I'm wearing it, then that's my "fashion statement".  I remember my mother used to say "dress for your age" or "you're too old to wear that".  I always thought that was nonsense, and now that I'm a 79 year old senior, I still think that's nonsense.  By the way, you should see my new running shoes!  

Contributor

Add bright colored (red, gold, sapphire blue) accessories (shoes, earrings, bracelet, scarf, necklace) with muted or neutral colored (black, beige, white, gray) clothes

🙂

Social Butterfly

I only wear a scarf if I am outside in the winter.  My go to style is my dark blue blazer! 

0 Kudos

I don't consider myself stylish, but when I need to look a little dressy I recommend scarves...preferably multicolored....that will go with plain tops or jackets.  Hope they never go completely out of style!

Trusted Contributor

I agree - so easy and so fashionable with the right scarf.
Trusted Social Butterfly

If you hold on to something long enough it will come back into fashion...Simple and classic styles out live what's in now...
Retired Community Manager

Great advice--that's so true, @jonibee!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Style ! What style ? I'm happy if my shirt and socks match !

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP