Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

STRANGERS ENHANCE MY LIFE

Strangers Enhanced my Life Last Week in Oahu

While I was plodding along on my daily walk, I saw a robust young woman approaching me in the opposite direction. As she did so, she gave me an affectionate smile. I don’t think that we had ever met before. Even if we had, I was not easily recognizable wearing my mask and a hat. This young person was just being welcoming, a trait instilled in so many people of all ages in Hawaii.

A young delivery man placed a large bulky package from Amazon at my front door condo unit at Leisure Heritage Apartments.  Then he kindly helped me lift the box through the entry way. My wife and I thanked him. Instead of just nodding or mumbling your welcome, his response was strikingly genuine and gracious: “It is my pleasure.”

At Wet ‘n’ Wild Water Park during the day, I was walking toward the entrance with a bunch of towels and a satchel. A middle-aged man who was exiting flagged me down. He said locker number 310 was now available.  This stranger wanted to make sure that I had a place to store my stuff. I was so taken aback at his solicitous gesture that I had no time to thank him as he rushed to his car.

Near the end of the Chief’s Luau that my wife and attended that same night at Wet ‘n’ Wild, the inspirational Chief emphasized the importance of Ohana, the all-embracing Hawaiian word for family. Then he dimmed the lights and asked all of us at the luau to hold hands for a few moments with our Ohana. I of course reached out to my wife. But unexpectedly, the middle-aged woman seated next to me, someone who had not looked at me or said a word to me throughout the luau, firmly held my other hand in solidarity.

Ohana is not a theoretical construct: it intimately and ultimately includes everyone. It is the mirror image of the Aloha Spirit.

schlomo

When I meet Strangers and they show up and show out . One example in the store and Strangers say get what you want I’m paying is all a Gift from God…… Blessings 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@schlomo  Beautiful!  Thank you that kindness is being demonstrated where you live, and share that. More important than ever before.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

The kindness of strangers is always a nice surprise!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

amen

schlomo
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP