Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

STRANGERS ENHANCE MY LIFE

Strangers Enhanced my Life Last Week in Oahu

While I was plodding along on my daily walk, I saw a robust young woman approaching me in the opposite direction. As she did so, she gave me an affectionate smile. I donโ€™t think that we had ever met before. Even if we had, I was not easily recognizable wearing my mask and a hat. This young person was just being welcoming, a trait instilled in so many people of all ages in Hawaii.

A young delivery man placed a large bulky package from Amazon at my front door condo unit at Leisure Heritage Apartments.  Then he kindly helped me lift the box through the entry way. My wife and I thanked him. Instead of just nodding or mumbling your welcome, his response was strikingly genuine and gracious: โ€œIt is my pleasure.โ€

At Wet โ€˜nโ€™ Wild Water Park during the day, I was walking toward the entrance with a bunch of towels and a satchel. A middle-aged man who was exiting flagged me down. He said locker number 310 was now available.  This stranger wanted to make sure that I had a place to store my stuff. I was so taken aback at his solicitous gesture that I had no time to thank him as he rushed to his car.

Near the end of the Chiefโ€™s Luau that my wife and attended that same night at Wet โ€˜nโ€™ Wild, the inspirational Chief emphasized the importance of Ohana, the all-embracing Hawaiian word for family. Then he dimmed the lights and asked all of us at the luau to hold hands for a few moments with our Ohana. I of course reached out to my wife. But unexpectedly, the middle-aged woman seated next to me, someone who had not looked at me or said a word to me throughout the luau, firmly held my other hand in solidarity.

Ohana is not a theoretical construct: it intimately and ultimately includes everyone. It is the mirror image of the Aloha Spirit.

schlomo

When I meet Strangers and they show up and show out . One example in the store and Strangers say get what you want Iโ€™m paying is all a Gift from Godโ€ฆโ€ฆ Blessings 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@schlomo  Beautiful!  Thank you that kindness is being demonstrated where you live, and share that. More important than ever before.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

The kindness of strangers is always a nice surprise!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

amen

schlomo
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP