Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

SNIPPETS FROM WAIKIKI

Snippets from Waikiki

During my walks this week, I have witnessed a potpourri of oddities. Just when I was thinking of buying some free-range chicken, I heard a cluck. Turning around, I saw a rooster strutting along the sidewalk. Whoa! A day later, just as I was musing about how much I need a haircut, I observed a woman hovering over a man seated on a stool: she was shaving the hair on the back of his neck. What a coincidence!

Ahead of me on the main drag, a nonchalant young man for a few moments was expertly standing on his bike as it sped along a downgrade. Nearby, huddled in a corner, an older scruffy, spaced out man had a fistful of dollar bills. He separated them on the pavement. Then he began to intently stare at one of them. After I walked further on, I looked back at him: he was still in an altered state, fixated on that enticing, entrancing dollar bill.

Conversely, two other men whom I especially noticed this week couldnโ€™t stay still. One of them was spastically pulling on his fingers as if he hoped that this ritual would alleviate some sort of anxiety. Another man a block away was hugging a pole with both of his arms. While doing so, he began to thrash the rest of his body while somehow being able to simultaneously cling to the pole and not hurt himself in the process.

I am perpetually intrigued (whether entertained, appalled, or enlightened) by the people who unselfconsciously do their own thing in Waikiki.

schlomo
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Tis stranger than fiction..Is this called "stopping to  smell the roses thus seeing what is around you and not being oblivious to all that is around you...I found your observations interesting if not entertaining...

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP