Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

REVITALIZATION

Revitalization

A recent flare up of arthritis in my hip has made my routine walks unduly unpleasant. But yesterday, I had a welcome respite during my last two laps around the block. At one point, I saw a young woman holding a baby next to a tree limb. The youngster was reaching out at some white caterpillar-looking flowers. The closer he got, the more he giggled in anticipation. I didnโ€™t stop long enough to see if the woman let him actually touch or grab onto the flowers, but what I had already witnessed uplifted my spirits: such innocent delight, such simple pleasure. I hardly noticed the discomfort in my hip as I strode on.

A few minutes later, as I turned on the boulevard facing the mountains, I was inspired by another compelling life-affirming sight, a spectacularly vivid double rainbow. How alluring! It completely blocked out any residual pain that lingered in my hip.

Since that day, I have in my mind frequently revisited the bubbly infant and the radiant rainbow. I can identify with the 19th century Romantic English poet William Wordsworth who once wrote of similar exalted memories that he famously phrased as โ€œemotion recollected in tranquility.โ€  Or I could just say Hip, hip hooray!

schlomo
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP