Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

PENPALS

Please post a reply if you would like to be penpals.

thank-you-glitters-34.gif

Contributor

Hello Joseph,    I see that your post is the most recent, compared to all the other ones I see.  I say this because, I figure that people who posted a long time ago, they already have "enough penpals" and therefore won't bother to answer.  Well, I'm won't write a lot here, since I don't even know if you'll get this and/or respond. But, I'll just say that I'm retired and living in southern GA. I'm a huge animal lover and I enjoy reading and cooking.

Best Wishes,     Vicki

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi, I'm new to this PenPal thread.  I'm a 63yo widow living in Washington State with my dog.  I'm an avid walker & hiker, avid reader, love most music, normally a dancer, theater goer and love local events but like everyone else I'm sticking pretty close to home these days.

Sue

Info Seeker +

• Hi Sue, I’m 63 as well but don’t feel it.  I love to read, bake, cook, and go to theater (good old days, classic films, etc. Have lots of interests.  Also have two cats that think their human.  Not sure how to connect but if you like talking about shared and new interests, let me know.
  • tori
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Tori, it is a pleasure to hear from you.  I also enjoy cooking and reading and am an avid walker.  I'm not great at screen time but have many movies I do enjoy when I've the time to watch.  I have a border collie/aussie mix that is a very active girl.  Before COVID we made hospital visits to Children's Hospital and had just gotten approval for another children's hospital closer to where I live...we didn't even get to get a visit in before those visits were closed down.  We go out to the off base ranges and do off leash runs at least once a week.

I look forward to hearing from you again,

Sue

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sue,

I hope you are well.  Much of life is mental.  I lost everything twice, including the family farm. I finally imagined myself like a survivor of Auschwitz.  I lost it all but my clothes.

And yet, I kept my life.  Some days I think it is worth more than other days.

I wish you a good Monday,

Tom

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Tom,

I've had a great Monday, thank you.

Surviving is the key to the best in life and it sounds like you've got more experience in that than most do! Hopefully fair winds and following seas ahead for you.

Good night,
Sue
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks Sue,

Life is mote about how you feel about something than how it is

One of thr worlds great psychiatrists was a prisoner at Aushwitz.  He stayed mentally ok by watching a green plant grow outside the prison

Tom

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello,

I am looking for some new and reliable (that means that they respond in a timely manner, preferably via email) "penpals".  It seems like a great way to occupy one's time during this stay-at-home a lot pandemic time.  I am 67, an educated, retired professional & live in an upscale suburb of Memphis.  I am healthy, read a lot, enjoy good conversation on a variety of topics.  I have a German shepherd named Gracie and I love dogs.  I used to be a musician.  Divorced.  Not looking for a "date" or anything like that -- just friendship.  - Alan

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Alan,  Just saw your posting done on 9/5, so you may have tons of penpals by now, since today is Oct. 23rd. But, if you don't, let me say that I too would like some RELIABLE penpals, preferably via emails. And, I too am not looking for a "date." You mentioned that you love dogs and reading. Well, I'm a huge animal lover and I love to read, with my preference being non-fiction. I must say that I'm a bit envious that you live in a big city like Memphis. I say this because I live in a small, behind-the-times town in southern GA, and it's pretty boring here !  Well, since I don't even know if you'll respond, I'll "finish" for now.   Best Wishes,  Vicki

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hey, to one and all, I am also looking for PenPals to communicate with through electronic messages.

Real quick; living in east-central NC, with a small zoo of rescued fur-babies, which keeps me moving even with my disabilities.

Hope to hear from someone, helps pass the days and I get to learn new things all the time.

Fingers crossed you and all those you love are healthy, happy and safe. Good luck and best wishes,

Joseph...

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello --- I saw that you posted your msg. just yesterday (10/23), so I'm thinking that you'll be checking-in to see if anyone responds -- as opposed to people who posted a long time ago and (probably) don't "check-in" as much as they use to. Well, God bless you for caring about animals, and having that "small zoo of rescues."  I too am a HUGE animal lover and I just love to hear when other people are !  I live (almost) alone in a small town in southern GA. I've got 2 grown daughters who live far away from me, and therefore life tends to get a bit lonely --- so I'd love to have a penpals.        Best Wishes,    Vicki

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Allan,   This is a test ---  before i send a msg. I want to see if this goes thru

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Alan,  I too am looking for RELIABLE penpals -- preferably via emails. And, I'm also not looking for a "date." You say that you love dogs and reading. Well, I'm a huge animal lover and I just love to read, with my favorite type of books being non-fiction. I see that you live in Memphis, and I must say that I'm a little envious. I say this because there must be so much going on (so much to do) in a big city like Memphis ! I live in a small, behind-the-times town in southern GA, and the town is a "bore-fest. Well, since I don't even know if I'll be getting a reply from you, I'll "finish" for now.  BTW --- my name is Vicki 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Alan!

Nice to hear from someone here.  How long have you & your shepherd been together?  My BC/Aussie & I found each other as she was turning 1 and in November she’ll be 6.  She is my walking & hiking buddy.  

What genres of reading do you enjoy most?  I like historical fiction, fantasy & non-fiction myself.

I have been retired since 2015 but have recently gone back to work because so many of he things I enjoy doing are currently shut down.  I live in Tacoma, WA which is between Seattle & Olympia.  It is a port town & I drive cars that have come into the port.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Sue

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@SusanW120761 Welcome 🙂

Contributor

Hello, i would love to pen-pals"" sign me up.Welcome..

0 Kudos
Contributor

hi herman, my name is georgiann, i am looking for pen pals i am 66 years old and had a fall last year, had surgery and now i am home bound, i do hope to walk again one day,  i am a  christian, sometimes very lonely for communication even though i have caregivers.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi, My name is David and like you looking for a pen pal.
Tell me more about yourself. I am an open book.
David
David Eig
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi David,

I am of the older generation and very active doing all the things I wanted to do but had little time. So it's been rather nice not to fill rush with the projects, that had been put on the back burner. Recently been reupholstering some pieces to update a change in a room. Not the serious redo chair thing, but cushions on benches and stools.its nice to pop a color to add interest.I have a dog I walk everyday at a dog park and enjoy meeting the new folks and their dogs.I have an art studio and really need to get back up there and start something new but that's for later.

So David tell me about yourself.

claudia caudill
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hi everyone, I love reading the creative ways folks are trying to connect during the quarantine time. Pen pals are a great way to find connection and talk about our favorite hobbies, sports teams, etc. I have even seen some senior center sponsoring pen pal programs for their members. Sadly, though, as your resident fraud expert, I must add a few safety precautions. As much as we want to assume everyone looking for a pen pal is an honest, upstanding citizen, from my 20 years in the fraud business, I know they are not always. Scammers will try any method and tactic to steal from you. They will create a fictional persona to be-friend you to gain trust and then ask for money or personal information. A few things to keep in mind. Do not give any personal or identifying information they could use to steal from you or create an Identify theft situation. Do not give your address, specific date of birth, anything too personal. Here are some other red flags your new pen pal might be a scammer.

• They will ask for money to help with an emergency. Do not send money, ever!
  • After building a friendship, they might ask for nude photos. Seems crazy right, but it happens more than you would think. They get you to send these and then try to extort money from you with threats of sending them to your work, church or friends.
  • They will claim to be from the United States but stuck outside the country on a work trip that was interrupted by the travel restrictions or they are on a mission trip. There are many mission trip “doctors” who had their wallets stolen in foreign countries recently and only their new friends can help them. Cough, Cough, of course these are not doctors but scammers trying to steal from you.
  • They ask for prepaid gift cards, wire transfers, cash or for you to open a bank account. Do not ever send money. If they ask for money ignore the request and stop communication with the person.

If you have any gut feelings that something seems off. Listen to that feeling, it’s usually correct. Also, report any suspicious request to the AARP Fraud Watch Helpline at 877-908-3360 we are here to help.

Contributor

thank you so much for the advice.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Good evening Everyone

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

My name is David and Married.

Looking for a pen pal since we are spending
so much time close to home.

I follow the Steelers and will talk about anything

A strange moment in American History.

What will be the new normal??

Me, I am staying close to home,
and looking for some new friends.

Be careful, Stay safe.
Please answer to
[personal email address removed from public view - please use the Private Messaging provided on the community]

Thanks, David

David Eig
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello everyone

Spoiler
Spoiler
My name is Jackie I am 56 years old separated. I live in Connecticut I am looking for pen pals getting to know. People from different States would be nice.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

My name is Jackie I am 56 years old separated. I live in Connecticut I am looking for pen pals getting to know. People from different States would be nice.
My name is David, We live in New York
<email removed to protect your privacy>

David Eig
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Jackie, My name is David and Married and we live in New York. Close).
Happy 4th of July??
Looking for a pen pal since we are spending so much time close to home.
A strange moment in American History.
Me, I am staying close to home, and looking for some new friends.
Be careful, Stay safe.
Please answer to
[personal email address removed from public view - please use the Private Messaging provided on the community]

Thanks, David

David Eig
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.

Please do NOT reveal personal details such as private email or postal addresses on the community.

The threads are not private, and can be read by anyone

We provide the Private Message function for people to contact each other in private.

The correct etiquette is to invite someone to contact you via Private Message.

To send a Private Message to someone, click on the username of the person you want to send a message to, in the right rail find Quick Links and select "Send Private Message".

Even then, you should be very careful of sharing private information with people you do not know.

Quick Links | Send Private MessageQuick Links | Send Private Message

Periodic Contributor

Hey Jackie,

Maybe I can be your Pen-Pal from North Carolina?

A quick bio: 60, widower with 2-adult children living in central North Carolina. I am disabled so have a lot of time, my head still works, full of knowledge from computers to energy management and renewable resources. Just waiting to build my cyborg so I can transfer my brain into a new super body.

Hope to hear from you? Best wishes of good heath, happiness and luck for you, your family and friends during these trying times!

Take care, Joseph.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello everyone!

My name is Trisha. I’m here to look for a pen pal or a few. A little bit about me, I am almost 30 and from Oklahoma. I am also a librarian; who loves to read! I enjoy cooking, baking, gardening, and puzzles. 

I look forward to hearing from you all! 
Have a great weekend! 🙂 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hey Trisha,

I too am looking for Pen-Pals as I am a writer at heart, 40+ years of business correspondence, writing documents, specifications and procedures, even tried producing short stories so greatly enjoy exchanging messages.

A quick bio: 60, widower with 2-adult children living in central North Carolina. I am disabled so have a lot of time, my head still works, full of knowledge from computers to energy management and renewable resources. Just waiting to build my cyborg so I can transfer my brain into a new super body.

Fingers crossed you respond so we can exchange thoughts or feelings and discuss ideas?

Hope that you and yours are all healthy and happy. Best wishes that you’ll stay that way and good luck for a wonderful future, whatever that looks like these days?

Joseph

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP