Message 1 of 458

Hi Colleen, how are you?...What state are you in?...I am in New York...🤓

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Re: PENPALS

Message 2 of 458

Hi David,

I am of the older generation and very active doing all the things I wanted to do but had little time. So it's been rather nice not to fill rush with the projects, that had been put on the back burner. Recently been reupholstering some pieces to update a change in a room. Not the serious redo chair thing, but cushions on benches and stools.its nice to pop a color to add interest.I have a dog I walk everyday at a dog park and enjoy meeting the new folks and their dogs.I have an art studio and really need to get back up there and start something new but that's for later.

So David tell me about yourself.

claudia caudill
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 3 of 458
Coleen would be great to communicate about how we are making the best of a strange world. Isolation and no in person social interaction with others strikes me as being temporary (be it very long) but a chance to do those things we never had the time. If doesn't get done now probably won't. I even organized my recipes after ages of just throwing them in a drawer. I find Zoom meetings really help. My sister is doing a weightwachers zoom that seems to be great. I have a book club online and our library is offering some zoom classes. Each morning I wake up and say, its going to be a great day and I am going to get something done productive. Through NextDoor the app that connects one to their neighborhood I feel like I'm a little less isolated. But my big joy and social is taking my dog to a dog park and visiting with new people everyday. Let me know how you are coping and the problems and joys you have experienced..
claudia caudill
Highlighted

Message 4 of 458

I am a retired high school science teacher that has been isolated by the virus and would like to communicate with someone about their experiences with this lockdown and how they are coping. 

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 458

@SusanW120761 Welcome 🙂

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 6 of 458
Yes I am game
Contact me at pdeig@optonline.net

David
David Eig
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 7 of 458

Hi. Pen pal seeker here. Wanting to learn about another’s life and ideas. Game?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 458
Hi, My name is David and like you looking for a pen pal.
Tell me more about yourself. I am an open book.
David
David Eig
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 9 of 458

Hello, i would love to pen-pals"" sign me up.Welcome..

Highlighted
AARP Expert

Message 10 of 458

Hi everyone, I love reading the creative ways folks are trying to connect during the quarantine time. Pen pals are a great way to find connection and talk about our favorite hobbies, sports teams, etc. I have even seen some senior center sponsoring pen pal programs for their members. Sadly, though, as your resident fraud expert, I must add a few safety precautions. As much as we want to assume everyone looking for a pen pal is an honest, upstanding citizen, from my 20 years in the fraud business, I know they are not always. Scammers will try any method and tactic to steal from you. They will create a fictional persona to be-friend you to gain trust and then ask for money or personal information. A few things to keep in mind. Do not give any personal or identifying information they could use to steal from you or create an Identify theft situation. Do not give your address, specific date of birth, anything too personal. Here are some other red flags your new pen pal might be a scammer.

• They will ask for money to help with an emergency. Do not send money, ever!
  • After building a friendship, they might ask for nude photos. Seems crazy right, but it happens more than you would think. They get you to send these and then try to extort money from you with threats of sending them to your work, church or friends.
  • They will claim to be from the United States but stuck outside the country on a work trip that was interrupted by the travel restrictions or they are on a mission trip. There are many mission trip “doctors” who had their wallets stolen in foreign countries recently and only their new friends can help them. Cough, Cough, of course these are not doctors but scammers trying to steal from you.
  • They ask for prepaid gift cards, wire transfers, cash or for you to open a bank account. Do not ever send money. If they ask for money ignore the request and stop communication with the person.

If you have any gut feelings that something seems off. Listen to that feeling, it’s usually correct. Also, report any suspicious request to the AARP Fraud Watch Helpline at 877-908-3360 we are here to help.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Take Pen Pal Safety Precautions:
Learn more.