Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

PENPALS

Please post a reply if you would like to be penpals.

thank-you-glitters-34.gif

Regular Contributor

Hi Agnes,

I think you have me mixed up with someone else Cat Very Happy  I never lived in Sea Girt. I am from NY.

Thanks for your concern though, about me losing a close email buddy.  I am sure he is a better place now.  I will not forget him.  I will replay some of the honky tonk songs he had sent me and think of him.

Wow, so sorry about your accident.  That was some scary time you had there.  I can't imagine what was going thru your mind at that moment.  Car can always be replaced, but you can't.  I guess you're sore now,which is understandable.  Did you seek medical attention?   Rest up and take care of yourself.. be well.

Marianne

Recognized Social Butterfly

AgnesG768435,

Glad you are ok ❤️. I am the person who grow up in SeaGirt and on disability. Yes, I have been to SeaSide Heights and LBI. My Aunt Nancy had a house on Grant Beach. I love that area, just not all the traffic. I have been to Wilwood also. I used to take a group of special Olympians, fishing every year. The Cape May Marlin and tuna group, would provide free fishing tournaments in August. Our group would stay at the buccaneer motel over night enjoy the boardwalk and rides. Of course the tram car. Get up early and go fishing. The group had a blast at this yearly event. Plus, there were several wrestling people, our group was excited to see and get autograph s . BBQ at the end of the event, an award ceremony. One year, with the help of the first mate our group caught a Blue Marlin. I was able to sell the Marlin after the event and made money for the ARC of Monmouth.  Everyone in Wilwood was always so nice to my group. The buccaneer always had us stay there. The hotels and motels and boats were all Free. Such kindness brought great joy to all

Nancy 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi, I really don't like to keep mentioning that I seem to be the only one writing but... it's true.

What I cannot understand.  I see my posts get readers but no one writes back.  Is it something  I say? It is something not interesting to  anyone? If so, please, write something so we can have a two way conversation.  Let me know what interests you. Maybe we can find something in common.  Ya never know.

Marianne.

MarianneS959437,

Glad you had a spare vacuum to finish the cleaning. Your right you can't trust the new gadgets. Just to many parts that can break. I remember when things use to last. Now everything is disposable. Anyway, my daughter, Ashley will be graduating from Rutgers University this May. I am so happy. Plus she has a job after gruadation. She applied for a teaching position, however, she was recommended to create the math curriculum for high school. Ashley is thrilled. 

I just finished putting together boxes of supplies I send out to veterans every month. I placed 11 individuals , it took me 2 years. I hope you are doing well Nancy

Regular Contributor

Hi Nancy,

Good to hear from you again. I figured you were busy cleaning up the mess after the water leak. I am sure that was not easy.  How did the pups handle the move? 

Yep you should be proud of your daughter. That is a big moment for her, and  you of course.  It meant you did something right instilling in her to have  a good education.  And her, achieving her goal.  To land a job right away is another achievement.  Best of luck.

My son worked his way thru college and  has a Masters degree. Wasn't easy because he worked full time also, to pay for it.  But, he was determined.  He has a job with an International company that deals with technology.  Something that is foreign to me, the Cloud.  ha ha ha.  They deal with Google, Microsoft, and other big companies.  Like you, I am proud of him.  His lady friend was a hairdresser, owned her own shop.  Got to be too much on her feet though.  Then she became a pre-school teacher's aide.  My son urged her to go to college and supported her while she did. For the past 4 years now she is an art teacher in a grammar school.   She must be good because she enters her younger kids art into contests each year and they win awards.  It isn't easy teaching these days.  Children are not like when you and I were growing up. According to her some kids just won't behave and are distruptive.  Notifying the parents does not help either. Then there are other kids that want to learn and enjoy it.  So, teachers have to have patience and good nerves.. lol.

You do a good job for the military. Do you belong to an organization?  What inspired you to do this kind of work, taking care of the animals and sending needed supplies. Thank you for your services.

Marianne.

MarianneS959437

To answer your question about why I help out our service personnel, my father was a colonel in the Marine corps. I never lived on any base or moved. I grow up in a small town in New Jersey, SeaGirt. Before my daughter, Ashley went to Rutgers University, she volunteer ed for Food Not Bombs. After she moved, I started to help out with the group. We provide food, clothes etc at a weekly share held in Asbury Park. Each Sunday a hot meal and fresh produce plus other supplies are given out for free. I had the opportunity to meet some veterans who needed a little help. I wrote a grant, with help from the community, I was able to place 12 individuals . This did take me 2 years to accomplish.

I got involved with watching the deployed veterans 🐕, do with semper Fi race. The race is held each year in Seaside, NJ. This race was in the News years back, when a person blew up a trash can. I happened to be there giving out water. So, I try to do my part.

I am a Social Worker. Currently on disability, so I have the time. Plus several of my friends are food Brokers. That's were most of the donations come from others are community contacts.

Have to go unload a truck.

Stay safe. Nancy

Regular Contributor

Hi Nancy,

What you do is amazing.  Very rewarding feeling.  I am sure all that you do is appreciated by those who benefit from yours and others help. It's people like you that make a big difference in one's life.  Bringing peace of mind to others. And nourishment too for the body.

I give you 5 kudos for that.. lol

It is interesting what you do.  I have never heard of organizations that you mention.  See, you learn something new each day.  

I hope you rest up sometimes , for your own well being. 

Nice hearing from you once again,

take care,

Marianne

Regular Contributor

Hi all, 

Here I am once again.  All by my lonesome.  People tell me they have a hard time signing into Pen Pal. I never have a problem since I put it into my Google bookmark.   

Another week has gone by.  The weather is so unpredictable these days.  Some days are like Spring and the next day it's back to damp chilly weather.  So, don't put away those long johns just yet.Woman Happy  

Finally finished the Spring cleaning.  Just wish I had energy left to do the junk closets. I think , no, I know, I am a hoarder. But, I find sometimes there are things that can be used again, so why throw it out.  For instance. I had a canaster vacuum cleaner. It was old and unsightly.  So I bought a new one and saved the old.  New things never last as the older models,  as we all know by now.

One day, in the middle of my Spring cleaning the new machine decided to die on me. Wow, what to do now.  I know... dig out the old one.  Thank goodness I also had some bags for it that I had stashed too. Got the job done. See.. ya never know!! 

Time to sit back and relax a bit,

talk soon,

Marianne.

Contributor

HI,I am Pam.I read your latest message as I just put my email up.I am 60 and working as a cna full time.I enjoy helping others but my heart belongs to my animals.I hope to hear from you.I have to go get ready for work.I work evenings.Bye for now,Pam

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Pam, I wasn't sure if you ment this for me but it landed in my box. I am doing ok , today I spent 45 minutes at the gym with my neice and I have been at the library for over three hours doing some homework from a computer class I take every Tuesday. My favorite thing to do is sewing and I havenn't sewed in over a month because I haven't got the right table to cut fabric on. But today my brother in law is coming to see if he can put it together...60 years young. In Boston

How's the animals ? Being a cna can get very challening and trying. Blessings to you. I too enjoyed helping others, but its wearing on me. Overweight, heart condition, and bad lungs. But I keep going. How was your weekend did you do anything different?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi everyone, 

Here it is Sunday, the weekend is over.  Temperature has gone up a bit but the wind makes it feel colder.  Just have to bundle up a bit to enjoy the brisk air. 

I feel like I am the only one here. No one seems to want to talk.  Can't all be so busy all at once.  Someone must have something to say.  So.. start chatting,  A willing listener here Woman Happy

Marianne

Hi Marianne S,

Hope you had a great Sunday. I just finished cleaning up my kichen,do to a water leak. All good 👍. Well, have it fixed sometime tomorrow. Nothing else just need to take a hot shower and get some rest. Hope to hear from you soon.

Nancy 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Oh my goodness Nancy, 

What happened?  Where was the leak coming from?  Just what you needed, huh!!!

Never a dull moment,  I found out.  If it isn't one thing it's another.  Two years ago I had just finished my spring cleaning, the works.  I went out to relax and when I got back home I went into the bedroom and I could have cried  I had a leak from the ceiling and parts had fallen down and what a plaster mess I had.  Imagine 1 AM and trying to clean it up somewhat. Took over 6 months for the landlord to finally get it completely fixed.  It was patched up until then.  Money was the problem.

Do you have someone to help you out, or do you need to hire someone?  Either way, I hope it all turns out well.  When you get a chance, and time, would love to chat.  Till then, keep your cool. Cat Very Happy 

Marianne

Marianne S,

Well, the water leak was behind the wall in the kitchen. It's ok, I live in a place where the original pipes are covered by the management company. However, they will not come in to fix my pipes until I remove all the dogs. I am currently watching 5 veterans 🐕 who are deployed. No worries, my local ASPCA is willing to house the dogs for me over night if needed. Plus, the officer from the ASPCA spoke with the management company and said that they would help me out with any future repairs as far as the dogs safety. These dogs

@MarianneS959437 wrote:

Oh my goodness Nancy, 

What happened?  Where was the leak coming from?  Just what you needed, huh!!!

Never a dull moment,  I found out.  If it isn't one thing it's another.  Two years ago I had just finished my spring cleaning, the works.  I went out to relax and when I got back home I went into the bedroom and I could have cried  I had a leak from the ceiling and parts had fallen down and what a plaster mess I had.  Imagine 1 AM and trying to clean it up somewhat. Took over 6 months for the landlord to finally get it completely fixed.  It was patched up until then.  Money was the problem.

Do you have someone to help you out, or do you need to hire someone?  Either way, I hope it all turns out well.  When you get a chance, and time, would love to chat.  Till then, keep your cool. Cat Very Happy 

Marianne

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Wow, that is good news in a way.  Not the leak of course but of the help you will be getting.  You are doing a great service fostering those dogs.  I thank you, as an animal lover that I am.  I give to the USO and ASPCA so that vets are able to bring home the dogs that see  combat with the vets.  I can now see what the ASPCA does with my dollars.. and it's good to know.  You never know how your donations are spent.  

A question ... does the management have any qualms about you having that many dogs in your home? I hope this doesn't cause any problems there too. 

Sorry for all the mess you have to clean up after,  I know it isn't easy.  But one day at a time. 

Take care, and hugs those dogs Cat Very Happy

Marianne.

Regular Contributor

Hi Marianne: Would like to acknowlege and thank you for your efforts of reviving pen pals and for that I gave kudo's to your recent posts. Yesterday this site was uncooperative --not letting me post but I was able to send you a message or so I think I was able to, could you check your inbox and let me know if you received my message, it would help me figure out yesterday's problem. Thanks for the photo of your very cute adorable cat, I have two cats who are sisters. I would attach a photo but they are hard to photograph, they just look like two furry black spots. On a separate note, anyone here live in a 55 community and willing to share your experience?  Thanks, Marie

Regular Contributor

Hi Marie,

I received you message but found it in my spam mail.  I have Pen Pals bookmarked on my Google page.  So far I have not had to keep signing in.  It just goes to Pen Pals and I read what is written  Or ..when I get an e-mail message I just click on what catagory the email is coming from.  Hard to describe I guess.. Whatever I am doing, it works for me!!. So many people have disappeared from the Pen Pal writings. I  wonder why.  I always said I was a chatterbox and I guess it shows in my writings..lol. I had a friend in Washington State, whom I had visted a number of times, and we would write once a week to each other. Notes consisted of 16 pages, at least.  She is no longer with us and I miss the writing. So I turned to Pen Pal.

I do not live in a Senior development.  I reside in an apartment and have been here for 54 yrs. Went thru three landlords.. ha ha ha.  Raised my family here.  I like being independent now, as long as I am able.  Come and go as I please, eat and sleep when I please. Even be lazy when I please. Woman Happy

My daughter has many cats.  A few black ones in the bunch. She had fostered kittens and got attached to them and adopted them.  All cats are nice.  Have their own personality. Some are mushy, some are stand offish.  My son has two cats.  One he rescured from a drain sewer near his house. One he adopted that I was fostering.  The female is attached to my son, and the male is attached to his lady friend.  Go figure!!

OH well... time to go ,

talk soon I hope,

Take care,

Marianne

'

Regular Contributor

Hi All,

Well here is the weekend again.  The weather is warming up a bit.  We had some heavy down pours on Thurs.  but in my area we didn't get flooded, thank goodness.  No rain until Monday.. heard maybe some snow flurries too.  Crazy weather huh?? 

I hope that all have a good weekend whether it be with family, friends, a good book or a good movie.  

Take care,

Marianne.

Regular Contributor

Hi, I don't know what happened to everyone.  It seems like a ghost town here.  I think there is a bit more then a few people on Pen Pals but no one seems to write ... sad.!!!.   More fun to talk to people then just read what someone wrote.  I am sure people have some thoughts they can put into words.  Having a bad or good day... doesn't matter. That's what pals are there for.. to vent your thoughts.  So come on... loosen up and write Woman Happy

Marianne.

Regular Contributor

Hi All,

Here I am once again. Weather wise it has been a nice day.  Sun out and days seem to be getting a wee bit longer. Hate it when it gets dark out early.  I have no energy then.  The sun seem to spark a get up and go.  How do you feel about long  days? I like the Spring , Fall and Winter.   Summer is too hot for me.  Anything over 75 degrees is not my cup of tea... so the saying goes..Woman Happy  I have been watching a good  show on Amazon.  It's call the Silence. I believe it's a four or five part series. I am up to part 3.  Getting exciting now.  I like who dun its.  Not into the car crashes or fist fights or jumping from roof to roof kind of movies.  Any one have any good suggestions for Netfix or Amazon?

Take care, 

Marianne.

Regular Contributor

Hi All,

The weather today is just beautiful. Not so for tomorrow   We are expecting rain.  Got to take the good with the bad.  Kind of quiet here on Pen Pals these last few days.  I guess every one is busy.I too am busy but still love to chat. Always time for that..  I will let you know my online source if private chats are preferred.  Just let me know. Woman Happy

Marianne

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Anyone who does not like the public conversations, if wanted, I will give my online address to talk one on one.  I like communicating with others. 

Just give a shout.Woman Happy

Marianne

Periodic Contributor

I'm not, I'm in NYC.  But this is pen pals, so if you don't care, I sure don't.

Merrilly

Merrilly
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

no i don't care where anyone lives   pen pals it is... so very nice to meet another East Coaster!  Hello NY

0 Kudos
Contributor

I, like several others, find myself alone most of the time.  I gave my all to my family and career and I've ended up with no friends at this stage of my life.  I'm 68 and often wonder how that happened.  I seem to have outlived the friends that truly mattered and the rest just disappeared along the way.  I would love to have a friend with whom to write.  I have varied interests.  I've been working on my family's genealogy for quite some years.  I often wonder if I will ever finish it as some of my roots go back 15 or 20 generations or more.  I study my Bible daily and would love to discuss various points of interest there, but some might find my questions rather heretic or blasphemous.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian and my faith is very strong.  I just tend to interpret the Bible different than I've been taught and wonder if others do the same.  I hope to see someone reply to my post.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello, I am looking for a pen pal that just want to communicate about life events.  I am a widow for over 20 years and I am finally feeling like talking to other people besides my family and friends.  I am a retired teacher from California.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon and thank you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Info Seeker

So you read the BIble...all of it or just parts?  What have you learned? What is your favorite scripture? I have a few favorite Bible verses I enjoy. Matt 6:25-34 God takes care of the birds He will care for me and Phillipians 4:6 Pray for what you want, God hears us.  Who is your favorite Bbile personalty?  Mine is Ms Noah..she stuck with her hubby and went thru a lot like Noah did. I love Jesus too; he had personality and let other feel his wrath and kindness at different times.

What is your lineage like? From Europe or Asia or Spain or Mexico or England? Mine is twisted but VERY interesting. My great great grandfather was a model for a statute in a park in Washington DC.

Only thing keeping me afloat emotionallly is my friends(my siblings and kids are distant)..I have many over differ states. I work weekdays at insurance company. I audit medical record very good work and interesting too.  I am divorced and my 3 children are grown and doing their own thing too. They are productive and good people.

Have a great and safe day!

Jane

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi Jane,

sorry to take so long to reply but i sometimes lose track of time.  I guess i dont read the Bible like i should, but i was raised in a very religious home.  Old south protestant holiness church.  I suppose my favorite character would be Job for his patience since i dont seem to have an abundance of it sometimes.  I really like II Timothy ch4 v1-8 concerning the last days.  Read it and see what you think as it applies to our world today.  Enough to give you cause to ponder our world.

My famthily came from Germany in 17 and 18th century from a town called Hapsburg.  they were ironsmiths and clockmakers.  A town in NE corner of W Virginia was named for them.  The family home there was the only home in that toan destroyed by allied bombing because of its proximity to a German anti-aircraft gun emplacement.  It was rebuilt however and is now privately owned.  That was my dad's side  Originally Richter.

My mom's side was scottish.  Farmers and miners with a distiller or two mixed in so they were into the spirits too i guess.

As for myself, i have held a wide variety of jobs since getting out of  the military,  but trucking, music and law enforcement seem to have been more satisfying than anything.  My family is scattered from FL to WI and TN to CA with a few spots in between but all seem to be doing well.  None of us correspond much unless there is a birth or death.

Have a great evening and hope to hear from you soon

your frien

Roger

Periodic Contributor

Hi There Roger

So do you watch TV at all? Or do you listen to the radio. I do a bit of both. If you get a chance listen to The Moth Radio Hour or goggle  these radio stories on the Youtube on your computer. The Moth Radio hour are people telling things that happen to them in real life. Some of the stories are funny and some sad.  I watch the Longmire  TV show now on I pad with the Netflex. I am a bit addict to this show  with my Netflix account..sleep to it each night.  I was watching the Ranch another cowboy country show about a Dad and his 2 sons. Pretty good too. But I have learned  a few things about Native American and cowboys in Wyoming from Longmire. Plus my grandmother was a pure Cherokee Indian from N. Carolina so this interest me a bit too and reason watch the show.  Do you have an I pad? Tell your children you want one...they really are great. It took me awhile to get one but it is entertaining and great to fall asleep too.

Thanks for responding back to..some days the loneliness gets to me. Also at this time I can't have a pet so it makes it worse. A bird turtle cat anything feathered, furry, and  I can feed and let them get excited when see me .  I read once in Japan residents wanting pets own bugs in cages. This is due to the living space is limited . Yuck is all I can say to that ..I detest bugs!
Well early this morning about 4 am had earthquake. I did not feel it (I live n San Jose) but my coworkers did..it rattled their windows in their home near Oakland and San Francisco CA area.  It was almost 5 rating earthquake. Again I got to get outta of California !

Yeah I am good at Bible reading and a spiritual person. I do believe the stuff in Bible book of Timothy. We live in crazy times especially with people so selfish, mean, brains full of chemicals  and some are mentally ill.  It makes no sense to have access to drugs (pot) in some of the US states does not help people who are already crazy.  I think it is a way to control people letting have access to pot. I am a virgin....I do not use any kind of drugs or no smoking no drinking since  it is not my thing to have fun. to be not true full self.  I guess I am prudish about certain things.
Well I must end I am trying to get 3 stories  of mine published in a few magazines. I think they are GREAT but it seems no one wants to publish them. So I am going to fine tune them again... and send hard copies of the articles and see what happens then. Cross your fingers!

Have a good day and be safe!

Your Friend
Jane in CA
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Dear Jane ,

You write very lovely,intelligent,descriptive posts. I am sure you

will  be published. Writing is a very difficult  field but well worth the

effort.  I've had 1 poem published and won 2 poetry contests,not

1st place though. I only write fiction. Working on a short story now.

May I ask about the articles you want to have published ? Are they

juvenile or adult ? God   Bless  Jane! 

Aggie

T

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP