Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Social Butterfly

Movies ala oldies topic?

I've always been a TCM fan and now MoviesNetwork fan...

I don't like to admit but "Face of A Woman" is one of my favorites. I don't like Joan Crawford but admire her performance.

Enough said.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Trusted Social Butterfly

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951).  Received various accolades when it was released, and influenced many writers and artists.  I like the 1951 version more than the 2008 version because Klaatu is a little less devious, and agents of government, and social leaders are far less paranoid.

It is also interesting that in the 1951 version neutralization of technology is used as a temporary demonstration of capabilities.  In the 2008 version, it is more long term and presented as part of the solution....technology is only as good or bad as we make and use it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Watched the 1951 version over the weekend and noticed another difference. The 1951 version lays responsibility for both the problem and the solution squarely on humanity. The 2008 version tells a subtle lie of comparison to, at least partially, absolve humanity and its leaders of their responsibility. Klaatu is talking to Professor Karl Barnhardt (John Cleese) about civilizations only finding the will to change when they are at the brink of destruction. The entirely manufactured existential threat of mismanaged technology built by Earthlings is equated to the unavoidable natural process of a star going Nova for Klaatu's people.
This is the kind of subtle lie used by swindlers because it is so easily overlooked. When it is exposed it is usually dismissed on various pretexts. It is the kind of lie that contributes to the socio-cultural climate that makes blaming the Plaintiff for being tricked or coerced into a potentially harmful situation (Blame The Victim) seem like an acceptable tactic in a court of law. It is also used to rationalize winning by means of brutality when skill isn't enough...the win at all costs then tell the story however you like mentality. These are manufactured realities created by negligence and choice. Critics pointing them out in their reviews may be a more effective response than legislation.
The 2008 version seemed to get the ending right. The increased paranoia and militarism led to more dire consequences. Since the 'Leaders' were largely 'leading' from the rear, most of them were still around at the end to repeat their mistakes. Most of GORT's victims were everyday folks who bore the least responsibility for creating the situation...kinda like Climate Change.
If Religion is the opiate of the Masses, lies hidden in entertainment and propaganda are the LSD. If the 'Leaders' of future generations accept these representations during childhood, the effect becomes incrementally cumulative. Maybe on the last Monday of May, 9/11, 11/11 and 12/07 we should be watching and talking about PBS documentaries like Earth From Space, River of Grass or Plague At The Golden Gate, depending on their age, with our grandchildren. This might give them a better chance than watching romanticized stories about heroes of past, manufactured calamities.

...Klaatu barada nikto.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I love (The Day the Earth Stood Still -1951 ) movie @EricC28201 . Another favorite is "Them!" (1954)

Social Butterfly

@EricC28201 Always wanted to see the original.  Going to look for it.  Thx for the info.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@RhymesometimesJust wondering if you got a chance to watch the movie and if you have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@EricC28201 Not yet.  But hope to soon. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Just a few nights ago I re-watched one of my favorite movies, after I was talking to a friend about it and he got me thinking about it.

Here's a screen shot I took off the TV:

IAMMMMW.jpeg

It's A Mad, Mad Mad, Mad, Mad World seems to be an acquired taste. Most of my friends either don't know it or say, "It's too long!"  It is long, especially for a comedy. I watched the first part up to the intermission one night and finished it the next night.

Super Contributor

One of my favorites is 12 Angry Men (1957). The whole movie is shot in one setting and the writing is brilliant. I also love Citizen Kane and prefer The Maltese Falcon to Casablanca as far as Bogart is concerned.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@Constantitan The 1957 version definitely!  Henry Fonda was masterful as the jury foreman. I loved Bogart in The Maltese Falcon. It really did show more of his amazing acting chops.  If I had to choose, I think Citizen Kane over Casablanca as a more powerful story.  But you got to admit, all those classic lines in Casablanca are amazing.

Super Contributor

I agree with you, the writing in Casablanca truly makes it a classic for me.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Rhymesometimes - I’ve watched Casablanca so many times that I almost know the entire script! Claude Rains was so amazing and perfect for the role of Louis. I also like The Maltese Falcon, but haven’t memorized as much of the script. 😉😄 I also like the Bogart and Bacall movies, too.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Social Butterfly

@MaVolta, You know how to whistle, don't you Steve.  Just put your lips together and blow. What a great line!

Super Contributor

Would, "To Kill a Mockingbird," with Gregory Peck fit here?

FYI, there is an audio version of the book, read by Sissy Spacek, that is excellent.

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
Social Butterfly

Love the movie classics.  Hepburn ( both Katherine and  Audrey ), Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Barbara Standwick, Bette Davis, All the Hitchcock movies, Casablanca, Citizen Kane. Fantastic!

Honored Social Butterfly

I am a TCM fan, also, and never miss Casablanca when it comes around. It never gets old to me. I love to watch the Cary Grant movies, too. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

Casablanca is great. I only saw it for the first time about twenty years ago. Suddenly, I got the countless references that Bugs Bunny made to it in all those old Warner Bros. cartoons.

Super Contributor

"Suddenly, I got the countless references that Bugs Bunny made to it in all those old Warner Bros. cartoons." I love it!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

The Ten Commandments and It's A Wonderful Life are two of my all-time favorites. I love the old war movies on TCM also.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP