Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Milestone Birthdays: How Do You Celebrate?

Retired Community Manager

Milestone Birthdays: How Do You Celebrate?

This year my father turns 90 and I turn 50. As neither of us has really celebrated any new decade birthday with any special events, I thought it was time. I'll be throwing my dad a surprise party with all his friends and family nearby along with gifting him several things he may or may not know he wants. For me, I'll be taking a solo trip to Africa for 6 weeks to go on my first safari, see Victoria Falls, and enjoy a winery tour day trip on the actual date.

What have been some of your memorable milestone birthdays? What did you do and who were you with? What do you want to do for your next milestone birthday?

Trusted Contributor

65/66  i left work on friday @65 employed ,woke up saturday @66 retired. haven't had an inkling to back work. let the milennials do it. #love it 

Bronze Conversationalist

@sneekycheeky  Good for you - I hope you enjoy every minute of your retirement!  

Bronze Conversationalist

My first "milestone" birthday was when I turned 16.  Previous to that, my parents always had one birthday party for both my brother and for me, since our birthdays are 3 days apart (I'm three years older).  When I turned "sweet 16" I actually had my own party.  Relatives were invited. My mother baked a beatiful cake for me and put it on the dining room table.  When it came time for my cake, we realized that the cake had disappeared.  My large Dalmation dog had eaten the whole thing!  

Then for my 70th birthday, my older son made a surprise party for me at a local restaurant and invited many of my close friends.  Relatives flew in from the other side of the country.  I decided not to go, as I didn't realize it was a surprise party - I thought that my husband and sone were just taking me out for dinner.  They had to tell me that it was my surprise party.  When I walked into the hall, I pretended I was surprised.  However I had a great time.  

Social Butterfly

Mine will be when and if I reach 100, but I hope I will still be able to remember it!

My 94th brithday is coming up in one week and I plan to spend it with my husband doing  wine tours in the Texas Hill Country, visiting relatives in New Braunfels which share a birthday week with me, and visiting a doctor friend and his wife who raise Peruvian Paso horse ( I used to breed, show and sell therm as well).  I feel great, have no medical problems amd am excited about the future !!

Periodic Contributor

First was my 32 birthday..a year after being diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. Family and friends threw me a surprise birthday party.

Next was my 50th birthday... turning a "half a centry" at the "turn of the century".. celebrated with friends and family. Celebrating a birthday, as we entered ino a *new* century, was different!

I had my first ever birthday party last week for my 50th. It was incredible. I grew up in a cult that did not allow for birthday celebrations so this was a huge deal for me.  My husband rented a boat, invited 50 of my friends. I never knew how wonderful celebrating could be. 

@AngelaW764899

That sounds like a fabulous celebration! Happy belated birthday!

Trusted Contributor

On my 35th birthday my children and my husband planned a surprise birthday  for me and i almost missed it. My husband took me out in the morning for a brunch. I was enjoying the day so much shopping and everything, i wasn't ready to go home. Finally at about 3, he said he was tired and we went home. My children met me at the door with '' HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM''  They ranged from 16yrs. old to 3.  Last yr. my children planned an 80th. surprise birthday party for me and i nearly missed it again. Was out all day helping a friend move, Thank goodness for cell phones, my car broke down, and i had to call one of my sons for help, he came and picked me up, had to go home get changed to go to this hall where they had this wonderful surprise. Have no idea how but they found some old friends i hadn't seen in years. Plus all my''3 '' sisters were in on the plot. That was a truly '' Milestone birthday''

Planned by my ''6 sons and 3 daughters''

Honored Social Butterfly

@VickiM68wrote:

This year my father turns 90 and I turn 50. As neither of us has really celebrated any new decade birthday with any special events, I thought it was time. I'll be throwing my dad a surprise party with all his friends and family nearby along with gifting him several things he may or may not know he wants. For me, I'll be taking a solo trip to Africa for 6 weeks to go on my first safari, see Victoria Falls, and enjoy a winery tour day trip on the actual date.

What have been some of your memorable milestone birthdays? What did you do and who were you with? What do you want to do for your next milestone birthday?

@VickiM68  I love the line "gifting him several things he may or may not know he wants." 🙂

Happy milestone birthday to both you and your father! I like your celebration plans. May you both great joy. 🙂

Hubby and I have long celebrated birthdays with an 'experience gift'. For his 40th we climbed Mt Whitney, for example. That endeavor took a year's worth of planning and physical training, so we share the memories of the year-long endeavor, plus, of course, the thrill of the summit. We've spent special days camped out at a hidden waterfall oasis in the desert. We peddled 100 miles together as a milestone celebration. So I like your plan to gift yourself with experiences that you will not soon forget. Kudos to you!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Contributor

I only celebrated when I became 50 years old which has been some time ago. After that, I let the world going its own way. I do not worry about the future. Whatever will be, will be (Lo que sera sera). Magic words by Doris Day one of my favorites singers.
Periodic Contributor

This year i will be 60, a younger sister will be 55, and the youngest of 10, will turn 50 years young. So we are taking a cruise to the Bahamas in July. I'm looking forward to making memories. First time we're taking a trip like this.

Thank you. I'm a big fan of "experience gifts" too. It sounds like you and your husband have shared many amazing experience gifts of your own. I especially love the hidden waterfall oasis in the desert. That sounds so wonderful! May you and your husband have many more of these in your future!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP