Recognized Social Butterfly

MY COMEUPPANCE

My Comeuppance

Yesterday morning in Waikiki, after having my routine breakfast, I suddenly got tremendously dizzy. I plopped down onto my desk chair, unable to get up. My whole body seemed to be spinning so much out of control that I was afraid that I would pass out. Hyperventilating and dripping with sweat, I incoherently screamed for my wife. She immediately rushed from the other room to my aid.  After seeing how distraught I was, she repeatedly took my blood pressure—it was substantially elevated.  But after vomiting a few times, I felt better; and the blood pressure readings became normal. When I was able to concentrate, my wife asked me what caused this unexpected episode. Could the culprit have been my newly diagnosed anemia, or perhaps an overdose of caffeine or fiber? I even speculated that I might have been reeling from the onset of Covid-19.

But then I had a moment of clarity. I am fond of rare hamburgers. The night before when I was ravenous, I undercooked some bison. Even though I could see that the thick patties were unusually reddish, I chomped down on them—oblivious to the danger of food poisoning.

Abashed by my folly, I now have resolved that any hamburgers (or any other red meat, poultry or fish) that I cook or order out will be pinkish medium rare.

And if I happen to consume ground chuck, I will be even more vigilant. Upchucking is not a pleasant pastime.

schlomo
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health