Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Looking for some good shows to binge-watch?

Retired Community Manager

Looking for some good shows to binge-watch?

Looking for some good shows to binge-watch? Find out which TV programs are worth your time and attention by reviewing the latest edition of What to Watch on TV This Week.

What are you watching?

Conversationalist

I like the Scottish sitcom "Still Game" (on Netflix). It's about a bunch of pensioners living in a part of Glasgow called "Craiglang." Almost all of the actors are significantly younger than the characters they play, and at first I was slightly put off by the sometimes clunky old-age makeup, but very quickly, I just accepted it and don't see it anymore.  (Either that or the makeup got a lot better after the first episode or two.)

The dialogue can get a bit profane at times and I have to watch it with the subtitles on because otherwise I cannae unnerstan certain lines. But despite the sometimes crude language, it does have heart.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Any Star Trek series...recently Picard. 

Cosmos, all three series, How the Universe Works

And although a late arrival...

Game of Thrones, and Justified

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

It's been a long while since anyone has posted here, so I thought I'd offer up my favorite binge-watches.

Top of the list is the Outlander series

4 seasons on Netflix

5 on Starz via Amazon Prime

6th season currently in production

Totally worth it for the history and the romances

if you can deal with the idea of time travel

Ginny & Georgia

on Netflix

mother /daughter / inter-racial

the mother is kind of annoying

the daughter is captivating

Bramwell

4 seasons on Amazon Prime

a mix of medical drama with British history

with a strong female lead

And the oldies on Netflix --- 

the several Star Trek shows

Merlin

Stargate SG-1

Designated Survivor

Honored Social Butterfly

The Queen's Gambit  - on Netflix

If you haven't seen it yet, it's an excellent miniseries with 7 episodes. Only, don't binge watch it. Take it one episode at a time, and digest it slowly. It's worth it!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

There was something about main character Beth Harmon's cold, impersonal stare in Netflix's thumbnail image of the show that turned me off for a while. Oddly, I'd read that same thing elsewhere — others were dissuaded from watching it from that image. But I got over it, watched it — didn't binge it, either! — and liked it. And the set designer did a really great job with those 60s furnishings.

Bronze Conversationalist

I was surprised they could make a good series out of playing chess, but I did really enjoy this.

Super Contributor

Amazon Prime's "The Expanse" (5 seasons)

Wednesday nights are date night which now means my wife and I retire to bed around 8:30pm and binge-watch a show together. We're both sci-fi nerds with science degrees and love how "The Expanse" actually tries to stay (somewhat) bound by the laws of physics. There's great characters, good-to-great writing, amazing special effects, some swearing but now nudity or excessive violence. It is a liner plot so you have to start at the beginning and watch them in order for it to make sense.

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Tosh.o on Pluto TV

Twilight Zone on Hulu

Seinfeld on Hulu

Mrs Brown's Boys on YouTube

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yellowstone with Kevin Costner on Paramount Network

0 Kudos
Contributor

Fantastic show.  Best ever.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Berlin Station (3 seasons)  on Epix

Contemporary CIA spy drama. Gripping. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Netflix: Tiger King.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_King:_Murder,_Mayhem_and_Madness

Notice how sane the big cats are compared to the people!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Broadchurch  -  on Netflix

Gripping British crime drama. Won a Best Drama Series award from BAT.

Finished S1 and into S2 now. 

Periodic Contributor

finding your roots & shark tank

Honored Social Butterfly

New mini-series on Netflix  -  The English Game

Created, written, and co-produced by Julian Fellowes (think Downton Abby). Excellent!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I enjoy binge watching 911 and 911: Lone Star.  I really like this new show called Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist (musical dramedy).  Also, enjoy watching New Amsterdam on occasion.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Foyle's  War is one of the best BBC drama's made. It's about a police detective in England during WWII.

A fun series set in Australia in the roaring 20's is Miss Fisher's mysteries, with Essie Davis as a confident, smart and stylish lady detective.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Foyle's War its the very bet series I have encountered, on BBC or American channels.

Miss Fisheer's Mysteries is a lighter, excellent, 

Australian series that I also would recommend highly!

0 Kudos

Love to binge watch Schitt's Creek on Netflix

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I like to binge-watch Sex and the City, Undeniable with Joe Buck (interviews with sports figures),  Downton Abbey, Classic Albums, The Big Interview with Dan Rather, and Rick Steve's Europe. Of all of those though Downton Abbey is my all-time fave.  Now is certainly a good time for binge-watching.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

On Netflix:  Money Heist or La Casa de Papel  (part 1, 2, & 3, with part 4 announced for April 3rd)

The series is from Spain so be sure to turn on English language version (unless you know Spanish Cat Wink )  so you don't have to watch subtitles. The English is overdubbed and works really well. Lots of suspense and drama, twists and turns, but with enough comedy thrown in for good measure. It's one of the most popular titles on Netflix. I'm addicted, can't wait for Part 4!

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is a list of series we have enjoyed watching.  I keep a record of them so I can remember to catch the next season when they are available.

Mrs Fletcher

Mindhunters 
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Sinner
The Kominsky Method
Grace and Frankie
Big Little Lies
The Politician
Fleabag 
Sex Education
Better Call Saul
Billions
Virgin River 

Contributor

I posted yesterday but thought of some additional series or shows worth your time.

Black Mirror - Each episode is a stand alone story so you can pick and choose when you read the synopsis.

The Night Manager

The Little Drummer Girl

House of Cards - from a few years ago - but very good.

0 Kudos
Contributor

ION TV has taken binge watching to a whole new level!  I watch CHICAGO PD, NCIS, LAW AND ORDER, and others.

On WGN, I love IN THE NEAT OF THE NIGHT. 

A must have for house-bound seniors!

Social Butterfly

Mrs. Maisel (season 3) on Amazon Prime now. 

Best comedy series since M*A*S*H *

(IMHO)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LouLit01 wrote:

(IMHO)

Just watched the first episode of S1. Will definitely be back to watch more. I don't know much about the cast, but they are very good, it seems.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@LouLit01 wrote:

(IMHO)

Just watched the first episode of S1. Will definitely be back to watch more. I don't know much about the cast, but they are very good, it seems.

I should mention cuss words flow freely on this show. F-bombs can appear 2 or 3 times in a single sentence. But after episode 1 there's virtually no nudity so... maybe that evens out.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LouLit01 wrote:

I should mention cuss words flow freely on this show. F-bombs can appear 2 or 3 times in a single sentence. But after episode 1 there's virtually no nudity so... maybe that evens out.

The topless scene was a bit of surprise! But taken in context to character and situation, it was very funny. The use of 4-letter words on this show do not seem any worse than most other non-network tv shows rated for MA audiences.

Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@LouLit01 wrote:

The topless scene was a bit of surprise! But taken in context to character and situation, it was very funny. The use of 4-letter words on this show do not seem any worse than most other non-network tv shows rated for MA audiences.

I hope you enjoy it. I sure did.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP