Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Living and Loving Agelessly: A Conversation with Dian Griesel

Retired Community Manager

Living and Loving Agelessly: A Conversation with Dian Griesel

Welcome to the Online Community! Now thru June 5, we’re pleased to have join us AARP Age Disruptor and special guest, Dian Griesel (@DianGriesel). Dian—a successful author, model, actress, entrepreneur and influencer—created Silver Disobedience, a network of people who’ve come together around the theme of aging consciously. As she writes on her website, “Silver Disobedience has become the active rejection and disregard of the notion that getting older somehow equates to irrelevancy or obsolescence.” And that is very much in line with what AARP’s Disrupt Aging movement is all about.

Dian GrieselDian GrieselDian is here to take your questions on aging well, reinvention, and switching gears in midlife. She became a model for Wilhelmina, an agency that’s represented some of the most iconic faces in the entertainment industry, in her 50s. (Ask her how that happened!) And she’s also a social influencer. (What exactly IS an influencer?) To participate, simply ask a question by reply post!

Dian’s new book, “The Silver Disobedience Playbook,” is full of essays or meditations, as some call them, that are focused on living and loving agelessly. Her army of what are called Silver Disobedients know that our first 50 years of living made us stronger, smarter and wiser. They know that what retirement years once looked like is being re-written in real time. Dian is helping to redefine what “older” is through her @SilverDisobedience communities. She’s here to discuss our thoughts about aging and life. So join the conversation and share your wisdom. Thanks for being here!

0 Kudos

Thank you all for joining us over the last two weeks, it's been a pleasure having you here! And special thanks to special guest and AARP Age Disruptor Dian Griesel @DianGrieselfor being so delightful and gracious in sharing your advice and life experiences!

Stayed tuned for the next event in our Age Disruptor Inspiration Series!

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARP has been an interesting opportunity for me.  I’m very interested in professional information for myself regarding an aging influencer career.  I would like to be able to discuss this with you and any ideas you would have to offer me.  All the best Wendy Bovis. 

0 Kudos
Age Disruptor

@WendyB189053    Hi Wendy-   I'd need more information to provide suggestions as to how to become an influencer. But I will say this:  It all starts creating very high quality content about something you know, adding great images, and engaging with your audience.  It's quite time consuming, but fun.  Start with whatever you feel you know best! 

@WendyB189053 wrote:

AARP has been an interesting opportunity for me.  I’m very interested in professional information for myself regarding an aging influencer career.  I would like to be able to discuss this with you and any ideas you would have to offer me.  All the best Wendy Bovis. 

Dian Griesel AKA @SilverDisobedience
0 Kudos
Contributor

I guess the number u had when you texted me was c417168f.  My email is 

nomatterwhata86@gmail.com  tried to get copyright for childs book.  They let me pay and 5 months later told me the book dosent have enough words to be covered under copyright text.   Dian you told me it can be done without any words for a 1 yr old. That there were lots of ways to do this and u think you said look up. A place fixri. It's not spelled correctly. Hope you can recall n retext it to me. I am not real computer literate and must have deleted you I instructions. Please re text

0 Kudos
Age Disruptor

@c417168f    NOTE:  I am NOT an attorney. However, the minute I want to declare copyright I do the following.   I immediately start using the word COPYRIGHT, 2019 by Dian Griesel.   THEN, I put whatever I want to copyright in an envelope and mail it to myself from the Post Office.   When I receive the package, I DO NOT OPEN IT, and put it in a safe place in case there is ever copyright infringement.  The timestamp from the Post Office proves the date and the sealed package further verify.  I have never had to go to court--but I have done this with everything I've ever published. My attorney was who recommended this originally.

I don't know if your book is just photos.  But I'll stand by my original statement. There are many picture books without words. The problem with an 11 page book is that it cannot have a spine. So, it is just stapled.  But, the entire Berenstain Bears series of childrens books were done this way and they are perennial best-sellers!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@DianGriesel, how can one reinvent themselves when the outside forces won't allow one to do such?

0 Kudos
Age Disruptor

@Olif  Hi!  

Outside forces won't allow it? To this I say, Let the Force be with you.  Seriously. Not kidding around. It’s our job to own that we are the architects of our lives because as the saying goes, “Happiness is an inside job.” So, we all need to regularly review our plans, look at the tools we have, assess our skills and accrue whatever might be necessary to move positive forces for change in our direction. At the same time, maybe we need to ask others for help, advice, lessons, etc.-- knowing that nothing great was ever built alone.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am enjoying my 50's, a decade when I left my job as a stay-at-home mom behind and rediscovered my love of writing. The freedom to focus on myself and my marriage has made me very happy, and I've learned to say "no" to people, events, and thoughts that don't work for me. To me, reinvention isn't necessarily about one's career, but about refocusing and rediscovering myself as someone beyond a wife and mother. It's been exciting!

Age Disruptor

@sharongreenthal  I'm so happy to hear that you are embracing this exciting time. Many will benefit from reading your important perspectives on reinvention!  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am almost 73   I would like to know how I can get associated with Whilelmina.  Also u writs a childs book geared to 1 yr olds.  Applied for a copywriter   after months the notified me. The nm book dies not have enough words to be covered under any copywriter  how can I  maybe print n sell this book  perhaps on line  thanks n God bless.  Your hair is great. Mine is almost all grey. Regards 

Cathy 

0 Kudos
Age Disruptor

Hi @c417168f   I don't make decisions for Wilhelmina.  However, you can go to the Willy Scouts section of their website and go through the submission process.  It is very specific--so don't spend any money first!   Regarding writing a book, If you have one complete, you can search online for a list of literary agents, or the types of publishers that publish children's books.  Another option is self publishing via Amazon Kindle Direct --which does give you the option to publish in paperback format.   Good luck! Go for it! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

You rock, Dian!

When you do so much— writing, modeling, travel, tending a business, tending a family— how do you find time to tend to YOU?

Age Disruptor

Hi@bh2849 Thanks for using my name and rock in the same sentence! To get things done, there are a few rules I try to follow. For example, if I’m answering social media comments— I’m usually exercising too, while walking on my treadmill desk. Another thing I do is I still use an old-fashioned tickler system. I have a page a day and write down what has to be done that day. If at the end of the day something is not done— I ask whether it really has to be done— or if I can scrap that idea.  So that’s kind of how I prioritize. Lastly, I admit that I keep meals pretty simple around our house...I save the chef-style cooking for restaurants! 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

That’s my style of living, @DianGriesel, Bravo!

Age Disruptor

Hi@bh2849 Thanks for using my name and rock in the same sentence! To get things done, there are a few rules I try to follow. For example, if I’m answering social media comments— I’m usually exercising too, while walking on my treadmill desk. Another thing I do is I still use an old-fashioned tickler system. I have a page a day and write down what has to be done that day. If at the end of the day something is not done— I ask whether it really has to be done— or if I can scrap that idea.  So that’s kind of how I prioritize. Lastly, I admit that I keep meals pretty simple around our house...I save the chef-style cooking for restaurants! 

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Getting to this stage of life is a bonus and I have been making the most of every minute, opening myself to new experiences. Retirement has given me the freedom to learn and grow and put myself first. I make every day the best it can possibly be. I am grateful. 

Age Disruptor

I'm excited to be here and look forward to answering all the questions!

Good morning and welcome, everyone! Now thru June 5, we’re joined by AARP Age Disruptor and special guest, Dian Griesel (@DianGriesel). Dian is here to take your questions on aging well, reinvention, and switching gears in midlife. Join the conversation by reply post. Thanks for being here!

Contributor

1. Reinventing yourself.  
  2. A mentor 
0 Kudos
Contributor

I found I am more rewarded at this stage of life more than in my youth of reinventing not so much what I do, as to findind sharper perspective on that I have done in over my 40'something years as an artist.

I approach new things as if I just done it for the first time, but we know that is not true,

Alex Alexander

Contributor

Reinventing yourself.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am almost 73. Wrote a childs book geared to 1 yr olds. DI'd what the copywriter office said to do. Waited 4 months and notified me it can not be covered as there needs to be a certain amount of words. And I do not have that. There are only a few words on each page. It's teaching 1 yr old about fruits and the different colors of those fruits. Do I have a way to sell my book on line without a copywriter. It's 11 small pages. Thanks Regards Cathy
0 Kudos
Age Disruptor

@c417168f  Some children's books don't have any words at all.  So, I'd recommend: 1) Use google to spell check the book   2) If you have pictures get them in the best shape you can.  3) You then will need someone to help you design an e-book or paperback.  Seach sites like Fiverr.com and put in "Design My ebook"    Tons of artists from all over the world will show up.  Choose one that fits your budget and whose style you like.  Then, you can decide what format you want:  Ebook or paperback.  

0 Kudos

Begins Wednesday!

0 Kudos
Contributor

My spouse recently passed and I'm looking to connect with others in the community. Where would be a good place to start?

0 Kudos
Age Disruptor

Hi @AartiB319308  First, peace be with you.  I am happy to hear you are open to connecting with others.  There are a variety of places to start reaching out and connecting. I'm not sure where you live, but finding out what is going on at your local churche and synagogue is an option.  Another idea is looking into community centers-- which some towns have.  Perhaps checking out the local community college, if there is one, and signing up for a class in a subject that interests you. Many offer free or very inexpensive classes and this is a good way to meet people that you have something in common with. Do you have time for volunteer work?  Library's, schools, hospitals, food banks are all ways to meet others who also like to volunteer their time--and may be looking to connect.  Lastly-- keep your eyes open at coffee shops, diners and other spots! Sometimes we meet people when we least expect it. 

Hello @AartiB319308 please accept our deepest condolences on the recent loss of your spouse. We'd love to have you join us right here in the conversation with Dian Griesel. (And if you tell me about your interests, I also can suggest some of our many forums. We have a little of everything from travel to politics to entertainment topics and more!)

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for offering this.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP