Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Indoor Skydiving?

About to go this afternoon. Has anyone else done it? Any problems breathing in that fierce wind?

Contributor

90 year old geezer here.  Did indoor at Scottsdale, AZ.  A blast!  Next birthday will be 92 and going full bore to outside dive!  Anyone can join me.

@ManicProgressive wrote:

About to go this afternoon. Has anyone else done it? Any problems breathing in that fierce wind?

Regular Contributor

I went skydiving (from 13000 feet) for the first time at age 60 - and it was the most exhillarating experience I can remember (with the possible exception of receiving my PhD).  They had an indoor facility where one "flies" on a column of air, and it might have been fun, but comparable to the real thing?  I think not.  I'm not really interested in trying.  (I've also been soaring and ziplining...).

Yes, I'd have gone skydiving again if there were facilities near where I live.  Would I do it now, 11 years later?  Quite possibly!

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh the  highwire  sounds way more terrifying to me than the indoor skydiving.

I used to want to do real skydiving. 30 years ago anyway. It would give me a good heart attack now, I’m sure .  I always admired George HW Bush for skydiving at what....80 years old?

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive - I think George H. W. Bush went skydiving for his 90th birthday .. but don't forget he was a pilot in WWII, and celebrated by skydiving for his 75th, 80th & 85th birthdays as well.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive - I see that you've posted elsewhere, since saying you were going indoor skydiving back in December .. but you haven't responded to questions about how it went! Did you actually do it, or decide against it .. people here are interested!

35 years ago, my boyfriend invited me to go conventional outdoor skydiving with him. I went along for the ride, but didn't jump. I like being up high, but not the falling & hitting the ground part! It's not an inexpensive hobby.

Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

@ManicProgressive - I see that you've posted elsewhere, since saying you were going indoor skydiving back in December .. but you haven't responded to questions about how it went! Did you actually do it, or decide against it .. people here are interested!

35 years ago, my boyfriend invited me to go conventional outdoor skydiving with him. I went along for the ride, but didn't jump. I like being up high, but not the falling & hitting the ground part! It's not an inexpensive hobby.

I’m sorry. I opted out of the email notifications so I don’t always remember to check the thread.

it was fun. Only two minutes worth, but good. I opted for a full face mask because breathing seemed like it would be hard. I can lose my breath sometimes walking in really harsh wind.

The kid before me lost his shoe and it shot way up the tunnel out of sight. They shut off the fan and it took a while for the shoe to fall back down, that was odd.

i did the high fly which was the best part. I guess it’s about 25 feet up from the net/floor.  They always have someone in there with you. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive - It sounds like fun & the experience of a lifetime! Actually, 2 minutes can feel like a long time, doing something like that. I never stopped to think exactly how long it took when my friend went skydiving, from the time he left the plane until he hit ground .. but probably longer than 2 minutes! 

Maybe I'll Google "indoor skydiving" to see if there's any venue within a reasonable distance of where I live. A few years ago I did a "women's high wire program" at a local park. You had to climb up cargo netting to a high wire about the height of a standard utility pole. There was a 2nd overhead wire, so you could hold onto that, as you moved along the lower wire (all of this while in a harness). That sounds easy enough, but even with a little give in the wires, you could wind up leaning over & struggle to keep upright. The second section I think there were grab handles above, and you had to coordinate grabbing each next one, before letting go of the previous one. The "reward" at the end was a zipline down!

Retired Community Manager

@ManicProgressive, how was it?!

Contributor

I would love to do this , but around here is nothing . I guess I have to move haha 😎
Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Hello, ManicProgressive!

I guess you've now had the experience of indoor skydiving.  Please share your experience here.  I'd like to know how it went as it sounds like something I might like to try.  Maybe!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP