Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Social Butterfly

Re: How much sleep do you require?

Message 11 of 17

Hopefully when I am dead, I will sleep like the dead!

Report Inappropriate Content
Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 17

Apparently not as much as I would like!  I usually go to bed between 9:30 and l0 and am able to get to sleep right away (sometimes not if I have a lot on my mind!), but then I wake up at l:30 or 2:00 and that's it.  I watch the clock (hey, I"m not working anymore!) and by 4:00 I've had it, gotta get up.  Rarely I take a nap during the day but if I am really tired I will.  I have been doing these hours for over 40 years so I guess it is hard to change.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 17

7 hours seems to be my normal requirement, but if I am exceptionally tired or not feeling well, 8 hours or a little more is what I need.   I sometimes take a short nap in the afternoon.   I find if I exercise during the day, I sleep better at night and I am more rested the next day.   Since I retired, I tried the suggestion of going to bed when I was tired and waking up when I felt like waking up, and it was always after 7 hours of sleep.  

Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 17

I'm happy when I don't have to lie down during the day.  I usually do though.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 17

I function better on 7 hours,but most of the time I get about 6 hours. I try to be in bed 9:30 pm but often I toss and turn decreasing quality sleep.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 17

DEC2 mutant here. Smiley Happy I typically get 5.5-6.5 hours of sleep these days. That's me trying to get more sleep, btw. Before I started turning in around 9 so I could get up around 3:30, though, (late last year) I typically got 4-5 hours sleep. I usually get a little less sleep while I'm traveling. I expect that to change once we are traveling in an RV rather than staying in hotels. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Community Manager

How much sleep do you require?

Message 17 of 17

Many people can get by on 7-8 hours while others require more rest.  And a small percentage of people carry a genetic mutation on the gene DEC2, needing even less sleep. (Source: Scientific American

How much sleep do you require to wake up refreshed?