Take the IQ Quiz: How Prepared Are You to Avoid Scams and Fraud? Earn Double Reward Points!

Conversationalist

Re: How much sleep do you require?

Message 1 of 17

I love at least 8 hours. I am a very restless sleeper. I am getting a masters online and sometimes I work very late. I shut the sound off on my phone so no early morning texts might wake me. I try to get up by 7 or 8 each day. 

Mary
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 17

If you never feel refreshed no matter how much sleep you get, go to the doctor first.  If you have sleep apnea you might feel drug out every morning.  If the doctor rules that out there are some really simple things you can do.

Take an early morning walk.  Take a luke warm shower.  Watch a show that makes you laugh.  Read the comics and skip the news.  Drink a big glass of cool water before you dive into the coffee.  Smile, even though you don't feel like it.  All of those help, some more, some less.  But definitely see your doctor.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 17

I also go to sleep around 10PM but I wake up around 2 to go to the bathroom and cant  go back to sleep. I drove a truck nights for 40+ years I can`t seem to break that pattern. 10 AM I`m toast.I walk at least 30 min a day.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 17

I usually feel refreshed after sleeping 6 hours since I've been a' early bird' most of my life.

I stay up until midnight  during the week,on the weekend I'm usually in bed  between10:30-11pm.I take 3 walks/day,{ weather permitting},after noon nap lasting 10-20min before I take my last walk of the day. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Silver Conversationalist

Message 5 of 17

Never felt rested until I took care of my sleep apnea problem. Now about 7-8 hours is good for me. Don’t care for the time change much though, just leave it on way or the other. Bothers my sleep patterns for a few weeks.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 17

I never feel "rested and refreshed" no matter how long I sleep!  😴

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 17

Anywhere between ten to eleven hours.   I do get up twice to use the bathroom, but I go right back to sleep.

I cycle every other day and nap for an hour after my workout.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 17
antihistamines have an effect that causes whats called anticholinergic and or anticholinesterase activity which leads to tao and beta-amyloid deposition and dementia - it takes years to accumulate so it might not be too late to stop this practice - melatonin starting at 5mg and working up to 20 to 30 mgs a night at 5 mg per week increase will replace what you lose as you age and help with many neurological functions of aging - you may also try 5htp or the resultant tryptophan 500mgs a night as also beneficial for sleep and neurological function! This is not medical advice and should not replace consultation with your chosen provider!
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 17

I don't know how much sleep I actually require, but I go to bed around 10:00 and fall right asleep, get up after about 4 hours to use the restroom and go back to sleep until it gets light outside.  Since the time change, that means I get up around 6:00 to 6:30.  I take an hour-long nap from 4:30 - 5:30 in the afternoon.  I get quite a bit of exercise during the day, starting with feeding the animals (goats, etc.) and doing yardwork (tree trimming, gardening) before breakfast , and I'm energetic through the day.  And three days a week my husband and I got for a 2-mile walk and I run quite a bit on the way back before starting my chores and before breakfast.  I gues I get the amount of sleep I need. 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 17

I get by with 5 hours. If less than that I am worthless. No endurance. Have to lay down a few times during day (I'm retired, luckily). If I get 6 or more I feel like I could run around the world. I usually fall alseep OK, but often can't get back to sleep after going to bathroom 3 or 4 hours later. Looking for suggestions to get sleepy enough to go back to sleep. Now I might take some melatonin or an allergy pill. I take a Unisom every 3rd day before going to sleep and that works, but don't like taking antihistamines.