Reply
Retired Community Manager

Have you ever met a celebrity?

Have you met a celebrity in person? If so, who was it, where and when? What did you think--did they appear different in person than you would have imagined? If so, how?

13,436 Views
72
Report
Periodic Contributor

I once drank beer with a Monkey. I mean, a Monkee. Davey Jones came into a bar with another fellow through the back door and played pool for a bit. They came out to the bar later and sat near where I and a couple friends were seated. We were the only people in the bar and he struck up a friendly conversation with us over beers. He had been playing a concert at a nearby music camp that night. I remember thinking he had gotten older with some wrinkles and was very short. He was a very nice fellow. For years later I loved to tell people I once drank beer with a monkey. Lots of odd looks in return until I clarified.

Super Contributor

Great story!

0 Kudos
417 Views
0
Report
Periodic Contributor

Lionel Ritchie not long after he left the Commodores. I was in my early 20's 

at my first job as an adult and my work friend and I were walking up the street,

I was talking to her and she was not listening. Her attention was across the street and I looked and there was Lionel Ritchie walking with another man.

We hurried across and asked him for his autograph. He acted like he did not want to give it and I thought the other guy was better looking.

Dr, J after the Sixers won the championship. He was buying a newspaper at a newsstand(remember them?) My head came to his hip. He was gracious but just wanted his paper.

Judy Arnold, Jim Trotter and Judy Sowinski (roller derby). I was a huge fan as a teen.

Enjoyed the other posts.

My age now, not star stuck. There some entertainers I would like to see before the bucket is kicked (them or me): Barbara Streisand, Bette Midler, Paul McCartney.

 

 

 

Social Butterfly

Coretta Scott King amazing and she is beautiful 

Racquel Evans
Trusted Contributor

No, never have and too old to care at this point in my life. Love your response @RatandRed , @MarkV847771 and @IndyMo .

 


@VickiM68 wrote:

Have you met a celebrity in person? If so, who was it, where and when? What did you think--did they appear different in person than you would have imagined? If so, how?


0 Kudos
758 Views
0
Report
Periodic Contributor

YEPPERS!  My Wife and I went on a Cruise Star Trek "The Cruise IV" for the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek Voyager.  We meet a large number of the Star Trek Stars, including and not limited to (just to name a few):

 

- Kate Mulgrew (Capt. Janeway, Voyager)

- Tim Russ (Lt. Tuvoc, Voyager)

- Jeri Ryan (7 of 9, Voyager)

- Marina Sirtis (Counselor Troy, The Next Generation)

- Denise Crosby (Lt. Tasha Yarr, The Next Generation)

- Brent Spiner (Data, The Next Generation)

- Garrett Wang (Lt. Harry Kim, Voyager)

- Gates McFadden ( Dr. Crusher, The Next Generation)

- Robert Piccardo (The Doc, Voyager)

- John De Lancie ( Q, The Next Generation)

- Nan Visitor (Kira, Deep Space Nine)

- William Shatner (Capt Kirk, The original series)

 

And Many Many More..  Actually bought a drink for Garrett Wang and enjoyed his company for a short while at our table.  The wife and I also renewed our wedding vows on that cruise with the Doc from the Discovery series.  Got Pics with Garret Wang (Who is also a really funny comedian as well), Robert Piccardo, and William Shatner.

 

It was a blast of a time for sure!!Wedding vow renewal ceremony, From left to right, my Wife and I are on the right end.Wedding vow renewal ceremony, From left to right, my Wife and I are on the right end.

Social Butterfly

Yesssssss, I met Coretta Scott King I was pregnant and working at the Airport. I suppose to be going to the ladies room, but When I saw Mrs. King I couldn’t move, Didn’t care if I was late coming from the rest room Racquel was in her moment, Thank you for that Day and moment 1994

Racquel Evans
Super Contributor

I was lucky enough to spend the day hanging out with Cody Lunden, the wilderness survival instructor and star of "Duel Survival" when he was in Houston to give a presentation. Yes, he always does go barefoot everywhere! I was amazed as he walked across an asphalt parking lot in the middle of the day in July. The surface had to be 120F if not hotter. He's a great guy, extremely friendly. 

-Mark

 

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Super Contributor

I used to do an Auto racing and sports-car article for a Northern Indiana newspaper, and I had the opportunity to interview such notables as Roger Ward, Parnelli Jones, Caroll Shelby, Stirling Moss, and a host of lesser-known USAC and SCCA Formula-One drivers, with a few NHRA dragsters thrown in, but that was the time when most of the big names in drag-racing were still living on the West coast. Now many of them are living and competing right here in Indiana near the Championship Fall Nationals dragway in Brownsburg, IN.

Newbie

In 1966 I was on a wooden bench by the skating rink in Sun Valley, Idaho.  I was tying my skates, wearing my sky blue Curse You Red Baron!!! sweatshirt, when a man walked up and smiled.  He joked, "Young man, your sitting on my skates."  I pulled a pair of skates out from under the bench and handed them to him.  He asked, "Do you know who drew your sweatshirt?"  I proudly said, "Yes!  Charles Schulz."  He said, "Do you know who I am?"  Instant realization crept over me, but with uncertainty I replied, "No."  He said, "I'm Charles Schulz."  He gave me his autograph, and weeks later sent me a drawing with his note: "To Don Mills with memories of Sun Valley--Charles Schulz."  The drawing with Charlie Brown, Schroeder at the piano, Snoopy sitting on the piano, Lucy and Linus hang framed in my study.

Trusted Contributor

@DonaldM323402 , thank you for sharing this with us 🙂

 


@DonaldM323402 wrote:

In 1966 I was on a wooden bench by the skating rink in Sun Valley, Idaho.  I was tying my skates, wearing my sky blue Curse You Red Baron!!! sweatshirt, when a man walked up and smiled.  He joked, "Young man, your sitting on my skates."  I pulled a pair of skates out from under the bench and handed them to him.  He asked, "Do you know who drew your sweatshirt?"  I proudly said, "Yes!  Charles Schulz."  He said, "Do you know who I am?"  Instant realization crept over me, but with uncertainty I replied, "No."  He said, "I'm Charles Schulz."  He gave me his autograph, and weeks later sent me a drawing with his note: "To Don Mills with memories of Sun Valley--Charles Schulz."  The drawing with Charlie Brown, Schroeder at the piano, Snoopy sitting on the piano, Lucy and Linus hang framed in my study.


0 Kudos
749 Views
0
Report
Contributor

I met Redd Foxx back in the '70s while on a school field trip to New York. My friend and I actually wound up in the elevator with him and were both hopelessly tongue tied! What great fun though to be able to report back to our fellow classmates that we'd met the Redd Foxx.

Trusted Contributor

Lol @fr16696984 , he was a "hot mess" 😂🤣

 


@fr16696984 wrote:

I met Redd Foxx back in the '70s while on a school field trip to New York. My friend and I actually wound up in the elevator with him and were both hopelessly tongue tied! What great fun though to be able to report back to our fellow classmates that we'd met the Redd Foxx.


0 Kudos
749 Views
0
Report
Contributor

Yes, I've met:

 

Zaza Gabor

Colin Baker: The 6th Doctor

John Delancie (Q from Star Trek Next Generation.)

Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker from Star Trek Next Generation.)

Brent Spina (Data from Star Trek Next Generation.)

Rene Auberjonois (Odo from Star Trek Deep Space Nine)

Shadoe Hare
Trusted Contributor

That is quite a list @ShadoeHare !!!!

 


@ShadoeHare wrote:

Yes, I've met:

 

Zaza Gabor

Colin Baker: The 6th Doctor

John Delancie (Q from Star Trek Next Generation.)

Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker from Star Trek Next Generation.)

Brent Spina (Data from Star Trek Next Generation.)

Rene Auberjonois (Odo from Star Trek Deep Space Nine)


0 Kudos
747 Views
0
Report

I have been a part-time actor during my lifetime.  One day I was called by a casting director friend who asked me if I would like to take a bit part in a movie she was casting.  I accepted and was sent a page from a script.  It didn't have a title on it so I didn't really know much about it.  When I arrived on the set I was told that I would be doing a scene with Jeff Daniels and Jim Carry.  What??? It turned out that I was playing the tuxedo salesman for the movie Dumb and Dumber!  So I worked with both well known actors.  The scene was used in the national trailors and I still have people recognize me on the street to this day.

 

Both Jim and Jeff were personable but we really didn't have time to socialize.  I would do the shots where Jim dressed in various tuxedos.  When "cut" was called after each tux was shown, Carrie and I would look at each other and crack up.  Then he took off to come up with another crazy idea for the next shot.

Trusted Contributor

@StephenC642979 , are you still acting? 🤔

 


@StephenC642979 wrote:

I have been a part-time actor during my lifetime.  One day I was called by a casting director friend who asked me if I would like to take a bit part in a movie she was casting.  I accepted and was sent a page from a script.  It didn't have a title on it so I didn't really know much about it.  When I arrived on the set I was told that I would be doing a scene with Jeff Daniels and Jim Carry.  What??? It turned out that I was playing the tuxedo salesman for the movie Dumb and Dumber!  So I worked with both well known actors.  The scene was used in the national trailors and I still have people recognize me on the street to this day.

 

Both Jim and Jeff were personable but we really didn't have time to socialize.  I would do the shots where Jim dressed in various tuxedos.  When "cut" was called after each tux was shown, Carrie and I would look at each other and crack up.  Then he took off to come up with another crazy idea for the next shot.


0 Kudos
742 Views
0
Report
Periodic Contributor

I went to the Book store on University and 30th Street.a few years ago .and I seen chicken George.the one that played on Roots...He was looking to Buy some Books.we had a little conversation.and he said that He lived in San Diego at that Time

Trusted Contributor

How exciting @SheilaC380142 !!!

 


@SheilaC380142 wrote:

I went to the Book store on University and 30th Street.a few years ago .and I seen chicken George.the one that played on Roots...He was looking to Buy some Books.we had a little conversation.and he said that He lived in San Diego at that Time


0 Kudos
741 Views
0
Report
Contributor

In January of 1972 I was in a casino lobby in Las Vegas Nevada and I met Red Skelton, he even signed an autograph for me

Trusted Contributor

Hmmm, I bet that autograph is worth something @BillyP361615 !

 


@BillyP361615 wrote:

In January of 1972 I was in a casino lobby in Las Vegas Nevada and I met Red Skelton, he even signed an autograph for me


0 Kudos
739 Views
0
Report
Newbie

Back in the early 1980's, I was a food server at a Mexican Restaurant, El Gato Gordo, in Redlands, CA. I had a couple, who sat next to each other, talking, and her smoking. I took their order, went to the cocktail station, after dropping off their food order. One of my coworkers asked me if I knew who was sitting at table number (whatever it was). I told him I knew the man looked familiar, but couldn't quite place him. My coworker practically yells at me, "that's Neil Young and his wife, idiot!" I was 21 years old at the time, geesh. Mr. Young was very nice to wait on. I never let him know that I now knew who he was. Treated him just like any other customer by giving he and his wife excellent service. And, they left me a $20.00 tip! A pretty cool forever memory!

Trusted Contributor

@t81399l , thank you for sharing this with us. So glad smoking is not allowed inside now in 2023. Lol, back then $20 was big money.

 


@t81399l wrote:

Back in the early 1980's, I was a food server at a Mexican Restaurant, El Gato Gordo, in Redlands, CA. I had a couple, who sat next to each other, talking, and her smoking. I took their order, went to the cocktail station, after dropping off their food order. One of my coworkers asked me if I knew who was sitting at table number (whatever it was). I told him I knew the man looked familiar, but couldn't quite place him. My coworker practically yells at me, "that's Neil Young and his wife, idiot!" I was 21 years old at the time, geesh. Mr. Young was very nice to wait on. I never let him know that I now knew who he was. Treated him just like any other customer by giving he and his wife excellent service. And, they left me a $20.00 tip! A pretty cool forever memory!


8
Kudos
50084
Views
0 Kudos
734 Views
0
Report
Contributor

I met the one and only "Tiny Tim" and his new bride Ms Vicky They were there for US  It was in the 

P I (phillipines) l,last century back in the 1900s lol 1972 ?

My dad was stationed at Clark AFB ,where we.lived 71+73 

outside the officers club (my dad was NCO but we would hang out with the officers dependents  and he autograph my basketball jersey ,"to mr  Rick best wishes Tiny Tim Saw a huge diamond in Ms Vickie's finger ..that's my celeberty meet Peace to all

Trusted Contributor

We appreciate the service your dad gave/giving! @RickJ301083 thank you for sharing this with us.

 


@RickJ301083 wrote:

I met the one and only "Tiny Tim" and his new bride Ms Vicky They were there for US  It was in the 

P I (phillipines) l,last century back in the 1900s lol 1972 ?

My dad was stationed at Clark AFB ,where we.lived 71+73 

outside the officers club (my dad was NCO but we would hang out with the officers dependents  and he autograph my basketball jersey ,"to mr  Rick best wishes Tiny Tim Saw a huge diamond in Ms Vickie's finger ..that's my celeberty meet Peace to all


0 Kudos
727 Views
0
Report
Contributor

Yes. I met a celebrity while serving in the Army. I was at Indianapolis or Chicago airport and I met Wilt Chamberlin. I think the year was 1967. He was very nice to everyone. He sure was tall.

Trusted Contributor

@jb4682 , thank you for your service!

 


@jb4682 wrote:

Yes. I met a celebrity while serving in the Army. I was at Indianapolis or Chicago airport and I met Wilt Chamberlin. I think the year was 1967. He was very nice to everyone. He sure was tall.


0 Kudos
716 Views
0
Report
Newbie

When I was eighteen I was a VIP Operator for a fund raiser. I was with a friend and we took a break and was walking to the restroom and she got very excited and ran up to someone. I proceeded to the restroom and when I came out she introduced me to Lou Rawls! We chatted, he told me I was beautiful and that I can get life-time back stage passes to his shows. After he walked off, I asked her....ummm, who is Lou Rawls?!! I was only eighteen and had no knowledge of him! But after listening to his music I was smitten! I did go to his shows and he told me to just tell the stage people after his shows that I was there and I could go backstage and talk to him. He was such a wonderful man. The father I never had. He was always very professional. We kept in contact until I was 42 years old. I was devastated when he passed away. I'll never forget how he touched my life and how he was so happy to see me (and my family) when we went to see him. I have his autographed photos in my home still! Miss you, Mr. Rawls!!!

Trusted Contributor

With his "sexy" voice 🤎

 


@dl4056619 wrote:

When I was eighteen I was a VIP Operator for a fund raiser. I was with a friend and we took a break and was walking to the restroom and she got very excited and ran up to someone. I proceeded to the restroom and when I came out she introduced me to Lou Rawls! We chatted, he told me I was beautiful and that I can get life-time back stage passes to his shows. After he walked off, I asked her....ummm, who is Lou Rawls?!! I was only eighteen and had no knowledge of him! But after listening to his music I was smitten! I did go to his shows and he told me to just tell the stage people after his shows that I was there and I could go backstage and talk to him. He was such a wonderful man. The father I never had. He was always very professional. We kept in contact until I was 42 years old. I was devastated when he passed away. I'll never forget how he touched my life and how he was so happy to see me (and my family) when we went to see him. I have his autographed photos in my home still! Miss you, Mr. Rawls!!!


0 Kudos
714 Views
0
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP