Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Contributor

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Many years ago I remember seeing the film Captains Courageous starring the great Spencer Tracy in his Academy Award-winning role as the fisherman Manuel. Years later when I read the book by Rudyard Kipling I realized that the movie was not at all true to the book. Since then I have been reading books to see the film version of the stories are being true to the books they are portraying. Not surprisingly, I suppose, the reviews have been mixed.

A series of books that I have started to read that I regret I have not seen on TV was the Game of Thrones. I'd like to know from those who have read the books (at least some of them) and viewed the series whether or not the producers were at least true to the spirit of the books the series was based on. I know that George R. R. Martin has not concluded his final chapter of the saga of the battle for the Iron Throne, so there is bound to be surprise endings when he does.

Dominic Andrade
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

While the TV series did not follow the books exactly, which is to be expected, and it can't be true to the final 2 books in the series because they haven't been published to this day, I'd say the series is indeed true to the spirit of the books.

The series is great and well worth watching unless you have a problem with:

Sex

Nudity

Blood

Violence

Gore

Torture

Rape

or Foul Language

Me? I though it was must watch TV.

The first book, A Game of Thrones was published in 1996.

A Clash of Kings (1999)

A Storm of Swords (2000)

A Feast for Crows  (2005)

A Dance with Dragons (2011)

The Winds of Winter 9 years later we're still waiting. No firm release date.

A Dream of Spring Publication date is anybody's guess.

I just hope he lives long enough to finish.

Never again will I buy the first book in a series until the final book is published. 5 years between books 3 and 4. 6 years between books 4 and 5. 9 years later still waiting for book 6. Book 7, God only knows.

I'm never falling for this again.

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP