Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Favorite Actors/Actresses

I'm kind of old school.  My favorite actors growing up were Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Paul Newman.  Actresses were Katharine and Audrey Hepburn ( not related ) Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck.

More current:  Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Leonardo DiCaprio, Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Natalie Portman.

Silver Conversationalist

Speaking of old school,Denholm Elliot was one of my favorites. He was in over 150 films and was awesome. It was written somewhere that if you don't want the scene stolen then don't work with kids,animals,or Denholm Elliot. He didn't do it on purpose,he was just that good. I particularly enjoyed him as the butler in Trading Places with Eddie Murphy. .

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949  and @Rhymesometimes , yes, I always enjoyed him and character actors like, the above ones listed. Also enjoy Harry Dean Stanton, Edmund Gwenn and Gary Oldman.

Social Butterfly

@Vexed Thx for adding additional actors to the list!  All three excellent.

Silver Conversationalist

3 great examples. I especially enjoy Stanton. Hes a classic example of a working actor. He seemed like he appeared in everything from Cool Hand Luke to Kelly's Heroes and beyond.

Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949  I remember him in Trading Spaces!  Really can steal a scene. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

The wonderful entertainers you mentioned all fit into my personal category of actors that I watch (ed) no matter what they were performing in. I didn't need a description of the show,I just watched. I also especially like character actors. The ones who contributed so much and always were so important to the success of the production. Just to name a few, Robert loggia, Aldo Rey, and my all time favorite Richard Crenna. There are so many others,I miss them all. Thank you for the memory jolt lol.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 , I agree.  Character actors were often the unsung heroes. Often not big stars, but, " I recognize their face, but can't remember their name."  Can't tell you how often I've paused a show to look up a name. An embarrassingly frequent amount.  Just today, I watched the tv show "Elementary", and they had Gina Gershon on.  I said, that woman has a large mouth, like the Batman series riddler.  Wasn't his last name Gershon?  Looked it up, Frank Gorshin.  So close!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Frank Gorshin. Totally forgot about him! A great impressionist and did everything from Ed Sullivan to Star Trek..

Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 Some people called character actors "second bananas."  But sometimes they seemed more talented then the "stars."

Silver Conversationalist

Absolutely! Gene Hackman started out as a stand in on the stage,graduated to character roles and ended up winning an Oscar for the french connection. He took fun roles. Do you remember him in Young Frankenstein? Only a cameo and he was hysterical in that tiny part. There are so many talented and under appreciated actors and actresses out there. 

Super Contributor

Saturday, October 15, 2022--6:52 am CST

My favorite celebrities when I was growing up were, The Beatles, The Monkees, Leonard Nimoy, Carol Burnett and Jim Nabors. They still are even though 2 of The Beatles, 1 surviving Monkee , Jim Nabors, and Leonard Nimoy are no longer with us.

Terry (Dallas, Texas)

Social Butterfly

@terrylynnmarvin That's a great group of people! Was always blown away by Jim's  singing voice.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

For actors it is Jerry Lewis, John Wayne, Mike Connors as Mannix (all time tv favorite-still watch today on MEtv), Clint Eastwood (all time movie favorite), Robert De Niro, Sean Connery. Christopher Reeve, Pierce Brosnan, Liam Neeson, Bruce Willis, and Daniel Craig. For actresses it is Carol Lynley, Lynda Day George, Suzanne Pleshette, and more recently Natalie Portman, Judi Dench, Angelina Jolie, Cate Blanchett, Charlize Theron, Jennifer Connelly, and Jennifer Lawrence.

Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 , Clint Eastwood The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.  and True Grit with John Wayne  so good.  Million Dollar Baby with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Hilary Swank excellent!  Ok, my list is getting longer, Wayne and Eastwood have to be added. Eastwood Director, Producer, Writer, Music score writer in addition to his amazing acting. I stand corrected  ---  Christine the limericker

Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 That's an interesting mix.  I don't get cable any more.  One of my favorite old tv series was Quincy md with Jack Klugman.   Does MEtv have that show on?  ---  Christine the limericker 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I haven't seen Quincy on MEtv recently. Good show though. Always liked Klugman, especially on The Odd Couple. Great shows like The Big Valley (Peter Breck was from my hometown, that whole cast was awesome), Cannon, and The Fugitive are on MEtv. Brings me back to my youth. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 Jack Klugman and Tony Randall, so good together.  Barbara Stanwyck awesome. Long acting career- she was one of the best.   A little crush on Lee Majors and the other two brothers.  Wanted to be Linda Evans and  Lindsay Wagner when I was young!

Time for a little reading and sudoku before bedtime. Take care,  Christine the limericker

Social Butterfly

Humphrey Bogart. Newer actors Denzel Washington, Hugh Grant has moved way up for his acting in The Undoing.

Social Butterfly

@Raynyky Can't believe I forgot Humphrey Bogart. Bogie and Bacall.  Classic couple. Favorite Bogart movie The African Queen with Katherine Hepburn.  Runner up Caine Mutiny, one of my hubbies favorites.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Rhymesometimes Casablanca is my favorite. Ingrid Bergman getting on the plane. So many great lines in that movie 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Raynyky Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walked into mine.  We'll always have Paris. Play it , Sam.  Louis, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship. Doesn't get much better.  Though some think Citizen Kane best movie ever. Both superb!   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Rhymesometimes @Agree with Citizen Kane. You forgot Here’s looking at you kid. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Raynyky  Can't believe I forgot that one.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP