Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Does gardening count as exercise?

Retired Community Manager

Does gardening count as exercise?

Does gardening count as exercise? The American College of Sports Medicine says so, reporting that gardening can satisfy their recommendation of 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week.

What about gardening do you enjoy most?

Periodic Contributor

Yes it does . . . Being out in the freash air improves my mood . . . Then bending, streching, digging, etc. uses many muscles ! ! ! 

Yes usually takes several of workingto get things started.you have to do more than one position but you may not get you heart rate elevated.I believe it to be calming and relaxing also.

Contributor

Yes, it really depends on how you define exercise.  Gardening is physical activity, AND IF that is all we are discussing for criteria, its exercise!  There are those who feel that if you don't have to wear athletic clothing & use equipment designed purely for athletic activity, then it's not really exercising.  Conversely, we all immediately consider walking to be exercise, and those who can walk can do that without any help from the sports/athletics industry. 

Regardless, regular gardening is effectively moving enough to be FAR better for you than sitting. It  can be more physically challenging in many ways than just walking.  Gently warming up & stretching the muscles before gardening is a good idea, and people need to be careful starting out each spring, because if the body isn't ready for the physical demands of gardening,  an injury (or worse) may result.  How much aerobic effect do you notice while you garden, and many different movements do you have to make to result in a tended garden?

Contributor

While gardening is enjoyable, it's a wonderful, fulfilling exercise, you have to bend, and stretch, you use your strength to pull weeds, and how the weeds, you sweat. Yes gardening is great exercise, after vegetables grow they have to be picked, more bending. The reward is great because I can my vegetable's and eat them the entire winter. Flower gardening is beneficial exercise ,

plus they bring beauty to the yard, which requires much work daily, and more sweating.

Contributor

perspirering, peace of mind, close to Gods nature, and the outcome and beauty of my work.
Contributor

• Yes
Kudos
Views
Contributor

Yes! Great exercise! Bending, stooping, stretching, breathing changes, pleasure, singing to your plants, covers al required elements!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Yes. Gardening definitely counts as exercise. But you must know your limits. I was cutting grass, trimmning hedges, and pulling up weeds and was very sore afterwards including an injury to my hand from the repetitive motions associated with gardening. So, yes, enjoy the benefits of gardening but don't overdo it.

Yes it does. I have been gardening for over 40 years. Just by mowing the grass, weeding the flowers beds, raking leaves and planting and harvesting the produce keeps a person busy. By bending, stooping, twisting and carrying plants from and to the garden is great exercise. Also the fact that you are outside enjoying the sun and fresh air is a great feeling. Would not trade this for anything else.

Contributor

Absolutely.  Just the number of times you get up and down off the ground will wear out a normal person.  That doesn't include the digging, lifting and carrying you do.  But it is all worth it.  Not only is there a food product produced, there a sense of accomplishment.  Plus plants don't talk back, do you have some peace and quiet for a change.  The soft breezes and warming sun lift your spirits.  The extra veggies you produce are snatched up by friends and neighbor readily.  So you make some really close friends with it too.  In addition, sharing information with other gardeners is great fun.

Contributor

I love to pull weeds

Contributor

Yes, for me lt does

Greetings All!

This is really a 2 prong question. Any activity that keeps you moving and changing postions is good and necessary to keep all your systems healthy. One needs to first evaluate a personal level of fitness. Be honest here...on the fitness meter - have you been tied to your couch or recliner by choice for days, weeks or months as your daily activity for living? Or are you daily up and about  performing and keeping up with the laundry, cleaning house, walking the dog (opening the doggie door does not count here), pulling weeds in the garden, actively planning with your grandchildren?  Or are you a consistent with an activity like swimming, extensive walks, playing tennis, golf, hiking, or dancing? We are all somewhere on the activity line and we are all at different levels of fitness. The imporant thing to remember is this, we all need to move, change positions, maintain or improve our strength, flexibility, stamina, mental and emotional health. Each one of us has fitness meter say from 1-10. With "1" being no movement to "10" being participating in daily sustained activity (walking, tennis, gardening) that gets heart beating, maybe break a brow sweat and you can keep a conversation going being a little out of breath. Each of us is different even though we may be the same age. What activity works for you maybe be unreasonable for me, Where are you today? What is a reasonable fitness level you would like to be? Check with your doctor or health provider first to discuss a reasonable plan to improve your level of fitness. Gardening is terrific! I encourage all of us to nurture your body for life. Keep your life orbit big and full! Maintain or work to improve your strength, flexibilty, balance, activity stamina, and friendships. Be well. Onward!

Does gardening count as exercise?:  surprise ! No! Gardening should not be counted as exercise! .I feel from reading my answer you can begin to be opened up to why. I have been in the health/fitness as well as a participating athlete and student for most of my life. I work as an instructor. Do ypu want to know why i say no to thee answer? Ok. Because gardening is a necessity AND  the same as exercise. Both are equally necessary however they are both different. Both are in the positive aspects. I don't want to keep going on since I want to keep my belief brief and allow each person * to be able to understand in their own mind. Since I can write many essays on this topic because of my wonderful experience!  Contact me if I can assist with anything. Sincerely

Contributor

Yes gardening is an exercise I clock over 6000 steps every summer which includes clipping brushes, edgeing and hand sweeping the clippings. I live in Michigan.

My gardening definitely counts. Lifting, hauling, squats, after a few hours, I am satisfyingly sweaty and tired.
Contributor

Absolutely! My New Year's resolution, and normally I don't make resolutions, was to begin weight lifting again. Which I haven't done religiously since college. I did have some soreness after my first workouts, which I anticipated. Last weekend I prepped my raised bed garden for planting this week. Lifting 60lb bales of soil over my 6ft wall, deep knee bends while shoveling and restacking my border block was apparently a bigger workout than the gym. My thighs were screaming at me for 3 days. Better than any workout that I've had lately, gym wise.

Contributor

There is so much more to this than just physical exercise. Spending time with plants, in the garden, on the patio or even a few plants on the windowsill can imporove our mental, emotional, and spiritual health as well as our physical wellbeing. There can be a positive affect on our overall qulaity of life, imporove communication and creativity.  Horticultural therpay is a recognized clinical field where extensive academic research has been conducted and extensive writing is available. My wife and I are authors of numerous books on the subject with the lastest "Green Thumbs & Gray Hair, Seniors Gardening for Health" soon to be released. This was written for both us "old folks" and those of us assuming the role of family caregiver as we are ourselves aging. Please, enjoy your garden, but view it was more than work. It can also be a lot of fun.

Periodic Contributor

Yes it does.  Hoeing and weeding is work, thus good exercise, if not overdone.  If you include mowing and trimming the yard, that also counts..  

How about house keeping?  Runing the vacuum, moping floors, washing counters, washing dishes and even cooking food are work that should qualify as exercise.. 

Absolutely.  Other than driving a rider-mower around, most other gardening is exercise.  Activities like carrying mulch or shoveling or building  a stone wall are down-right strenuous.

Trusted Contributor

i get plenty of exercise hauling 10-12 bags of mulch 2 to 3 time a year. then bags of potting soil and planting. 

Contributor

Sure does!  You use all your muscles and can usually accommodate any physical disadvantage 😀😀

Periodic Contributor

Yes it does.I do it myself.Keep it up.

Periodic Contributor

I just turn 80 and had a knee replacement . I cut my grass sometimes twice a week and outside almost every day. I have a riding mower and a propel mower.I perfer the propel mower because I feel that I acomplish two thing, a better lawn cut, and get my exercise .

It is defenately good exercise make sure your doing the exercises that you were taught after surgery and wear a knee brace while mowing and strenuous activities to ensure optimum results from your knee surgery.

Contributor

Besides exercise, I enjoy the results, whether vegetables, herbs or flowers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP