Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do your pets ride along in the car?

Retired Community Manager

Do your pets ride along in the car?

Before the warm temps arrived, Huey and Teddy kept me company while I picked up a curbside grocery delivery. Don't they look happy to be included?

As a special treat, do you ever take your pets along for a ride in the car?

Huey and TeddyHuey and Teddy

My doggy was a 7 pound minpin/chihuahua mix, and she usually liked going on drives up to 30 minutes before getting bored and falling asleep.  As she got older though she was satisfied to nap at home.  There were years when I took vacations and took her on road trips from coast to coast.  She rode well, slept a lot and never had accidents in the car.  But traveling with a dog means you can never go into a restaurant and leave the dog in the car (all sorts of potential dangers) and motels started charging outrageous pet fees.  When a Windham chain hotel required a $75 fee for a barkless 7 pound dog in her kennel, I made two decisions.  The first never to knowingly book a Windham hotel again, and second that doggy's road trip days were over  She made it 22 years,but finally had to be put down last October.  I miss her on my lap in he recliner, but am now fully retired and want to be free to travel,  I have decided that dog ownership and caretaking is a thing of the past for me.  Now, if we could only safely travel again!

Regular Contributor

where i go my two **bleep**zus go  except in the heat. I have looked into pet airconditioners but in reading they bring up What if it fails while your gone from the car ugh. So for 10  months they get to go and love it. You should see the looks when they have stayed at home.lol

Regular Contributor

I sometimes would take one of my cats with me.  I have all my cats leash trained prior to their car rides (takes 2 to 3 weeks to leash train).  Then I take them to the drive thru bank or a drive thru food place then back home. One of my cats meowed and meowed.  But after several trips, she was just laid back calm.    Makes them less anxious when it comes time to go to the vet. 

Candice Gourley
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP