Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you have a special hobby or lifetime pursuit that means the world to you?

Retired Community Manager

Richard Ritter works from home, and for the past 10 years he didn’t have much of a social life. So discovering the Encore Chorale — a choir for people over 55 years old that’s open to anyone who wants to join — was life changing.

Regular Social Butterfly

My daughter's college grad giftMy daughter's college grad giftWorking on my second....Working on my second....

One of my hobbies/passions is hand quilting.  I only do it all by hand...made my first one about a year ago or so....

If anyone has any good ideas....let me know. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Since retiring I've become passionate about offering life story workshops locally (and soon online) for folks who want to write about their lives, but don't know where to start.

Our lives are full of experiences, adventures, and events that shaped who we are today. Unless we write about these events, they may be forgotten or never known by our families, children, and loved ones. In the Write Your Life Story, Two Pages at a Time, participants explore carefully selected life themes. My workshops are based on Guided Autobiography, a semi-structured process developed by Professor Emeritus James E. “Jim” Birren, the founding dean of the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology and an aging research pioneer considered by many to be the father of modern gerontology.

This program is open to those who want to capture their life stories to leave behind for their families or do a life review for themselves. No writing experience is required, written work will not be edited or critiqued, and there is no pressure to publish finished stories.

In this unique program, participants write from the heart on carefully-selected themes. Upon completion, they are amazed at what they were able to create. Most important, participants have a greater appreciation for their lives and those of others.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (12/23/22) Hi @florabrown , any updates on your life story workshops? Thanks, Nicole 🙂

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi Nicole, 

Thanks for asking about my workshops. I have three self-learning programs you can learn about on my website http://www.florabrown.com. Scroll down a bit from the top. To be notified of the next live workshops, get on my list at http://www.florabrown.com/stay-connected

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I would be very interested in participating in a program like the one you mentioned in your response. Is there anything like what you are referring to in the Little Rock, Arkansas area? I believe that in addition to being very interesting, it would also be quite therapeutic for many of us.
Barbara K
Regular Contributor

Hay what you Face after your not driveing a taxi, things do not look good! On finding work anywhere! Also I'm not looking for work in Moore!

i took up cello about 10 years ago and now I play in solo recitals, group classes, and play in a semi-professional orchestra.  The last two years I took my string playing nephews (age 17 and 19) to Alaska to play with the Kenai Peninsula Orchestra!  It was a great musical bonding experience for all!  I even attended a cello camp in lancaster last summer and got to play with other adult amatuers!  fun!

Trusted Contributor

My hobby is baking and it's also.I'm a baker and a baker shop in western suburb and it call Naperville IL . For 9year I made mocha brownie and pumkin spice latte cupcakes  and  white chocolate cappuccino. Coffee ice cream cakes and cupcakes and itailan amaretto brownies and cheesecake strawberry cupcakes and last but lease  I made chocolate toffee truffle brownies.  And buttterfingerbrownies My bake good sale like crazy

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Yummy! What a great hobby. I'm sure your customers are happy you chose baking.
Conversationalist

I love jewelry designing/making, and have thousands of beads and findings.   Find it relaxing and fun.  I've gone to trade shows, and the prices are through the roof!  I subscribe to jewelry trade magazines to give me ideas.  

Contributor

I love animals!  I have a small farm. But dogs and horses are my passion. I wanted to be a veterinarian in my younger years. Of like anything with animals. 

Regular Contributor

Richard,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Encore Chorale. I sang all of my life through school, community, and church, but for the last few decades have neglected this part of my life. I'm going to research where there's a similar choir in my community. I know it's an uplifting and fulfilling activity that brings much to life.

I collect Light Houses & Love to grow plants from seedlings/ also love to draw in charcoal / paint i water colors

Regular Contributor

Hi Marilyn,

When you say you collect light houses, what size and type do you mean? I ask because I have some lighthouse-themed products left from the days when I was in the gift industry.
Regular Contributor

Hmmm I'm just not good with this online stuff! But I'm working on it. Like to have my own limousine of my choice! So i can try to stop DUI where i can. Kenny A 

Regular Contributor

Wonderful goal! Best wishes.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I would like to have a limousine so i can help stnop DUI ! But right now i have no income & not working! I'm trying to find work. Kenny A

Contributor

For the last several years I have been developing a passion for wildflowers. I have selected a small area near my home, about 1% of the area of the state of Minnesota, just west of the Twin Cities, and I hunt flowers all through the season. I've come to appreciate both the beauty and the large and small distinctions between different flowers. I hunt the flowers while hiking or while biking, stopping frequently to study them and take pictures. I hope to eventually publish a field guide for others wanting to learn about the wildflowers in this small area.Gray Headed ConeflowerGray Headed Coneflower

Regular Contributor

What a wonderful hobby! Many will benefit from your diligence, especially when you publish your guide. Best wishes.

Social Butterfly

I live for my annual great African safari adventures.

Trusted Contributor

I Love to Bake and I'm a baker and have bakery shop in . I have been bake 16 years .I make mocha and latte  white chocolate  cupcakes and cakes.  toffee truffle brownies Irish cream . And coffee ice cakes and cupcakes  and sweet pies and pumkin pies and homemade eggnog.

Bronze Conversationalist

Sounds delicious! And your bakery must smell as wonderful as your cakes taste.
Contributor

Hay duke Trail Utah 2015Hay duke Trail Utah 2015I have been a long distance backpacker since age 19. I'm retired now at 65 and have about 10,000 miles of hiking on designated trails and many more miles from my career as a wildland firefighter/manager. I feel at home in the wild. I continue to long distance hike now and have completed the Pacific Crest Trail, 200 miles of the Appalachian Trail and about 1100 miles of the Continental Divide Trail and would like to complete hiking the "Triple Crown" in the next few years. Modern lightweight gear makes backpacking doable for older people. The rewards of backpacking are satisfaction at completing a goal, camaraderie and staying in good physical and mental health. My trail journals are at www.postholer.com/fireweed.

Regular Contributor

What a fantastic hobby! You benefit on so  many levels, and by sharing what you're doing, others get encouraged and benefit as well. Best wishes for travelling many more trails.

I love Arts and Crafts. I also love Arm Knitting. I try to do hobbies to keep moving my fingers and arms to help with motions activities.

Regular Contributor

Hi Info Seeker,

I hadn't heard of arm knitting until now. How interesting.
Periodic Contributor

I have many hobbies that nurture and sustain me.  The last 4 years, though, kayaking has become one of my favorites.  It gives me needed exercise, opportunities to enjoy nature, and the ability to either socialize or be by myself.my happy placemy happy place

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP