Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Discover Birdwatching

Join Barbara Hannah Grufferman as she discovers birdwatching with ornithologist “Birding Bob” DeCandido. Find out why birding has become one of the fastest growing outdoor activities, and how you can get started!

Are you interested in birdwatching?

Conversationalist

I actually just moved to Las Vegas and am seeing so many birds.  One, I called The Sentinel Bird, he watches from our tallest tree and moves his head left to right, never moves,just watches for hours.

Ive seen green and brown hummingbirds.

i actually saw a road runner running across our wall, back and forth.  I thought they only live in the desert but must have taken a vacation.

I saw a beautiful eagle soar thru the sky.

Then, there are birds that I  don't know their names but so beautiful- red breasted and brown, a couple, talking with each other.

love watching everyday!

Social Butterfly

Bird watching is a great sport.  It’s easy and doesn’t require a. Lot of activity.  I’m watching a red belly woodpecker, on the suet cake in my yard, as I am posting!

Periodic Contributor

I am more of a bird phographer than watcher, but I do enjoy both.  I have been enjoying the hobby for quite some years but more so since retirement.  A fellow photographer and I frequently visit a number of National Wildlife Refuges in PA, NJ, MD & DE.  I am blessed to live adjacent to a wooded area with a stream in the heart of a built-up suburban district.  As such there is a large diversity of species both as permanent residents and migrants that visit my feeders and heated birdbath.  My accommodations for birds are readily visible from a window by my computer desk, so I can watch and photograph species through the glass.  I regularly observe 4 varieties of woodpeckers, cardinals, Carolina Wrens and about 25 other species.  (Yes, I do birds counts-GBYBC and CBC)  Of course, being close to woods and a stream brings in a variety of raptors and Blue Herons.  I have seen quite a few songbirds become lunch for Coopers and Red-Tail Hawks.  I always cringe, but it's nature.  Everyone has to eat!   Birdwatching and bird feeding are great pastimes.  I highly recommend it for relaxation and nature appreciation.

Regular Contributor

Have you participated in any of the annual National Audubon Christmas Bird Count events? It's the longest running "Citizen Science Survey" in the world. Think of it as birdwatching on steroids. The holiday bird counts calculate bird populations at a time when migrating and native birds are “wintering.” 

Donna Martinez, EdD
Owner: Sea Ranch Abalone Bay
The Sea Ranch, CA
Honored Social Butterfly

@SeaRanchAbaloneBaywrote:

Have you participated in any of the annual National Audubon Christmas Bird Count events? It's the longest running "Citizen Science Survey" in the world. Think of it as birdwatching on steroids. The holiday bird counts calculate bird populations at a time when migrating and native birds are “wintering.” 

Hi @SeaRanchAbaloneBay  Are you talking to me? 🙂

Yes, I have participated in Cornell's national bird counts, including the one on Christmas Day. It's fun! I like your comment about it being birdwatching on streoids. LOL. So true!

For anyone wanting to learn more about these events, here's the eBird site (part of Cornell's Ornithology Lab), where you can add your bird lists, join a bird count and so much more: https://ebird.org/home

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Recognized Social Butterfly

Epster

Did you see the recent oil spill.  Thank goodness  volunteers are helping the wildlife. Nancy 

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l wrote:

Epster

Did you see the recent oil spill.  Thank goodness  volunteers are helping the wildlife. Nancy 

Happy Tuesday to you, Nancy! 🙂

This one? (the train in Iowa) https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2018/06/22/northwest-iowa-flooding-lit...

Actually just now getting around to reading about this. (Have spent long hours away from the Internet the past two days.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Yep, we're big into birdwatching. One of the things we eagerly await retirement for is the freedom to travel to birding hotspots and to be able to visit various fly-zones during migration.

Meanwhile, however, we enjoy our present location, for we're in a transition zone and thus are treated to quite a wide variety of bird species.

Also, we find that birders are upbeat and positive people, just the kind with which we want to associate. 🙂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP