Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

CHEERFUL DOUBLE COINCIDENCES

A Cheerful Double Coincidence

Last week, while some of my family was swimming with the dolphins on Oahu’s west shore, I was seated on the boat opposite a chatty middle-aged woman from California.  Once she noticed my Shaloha cap and the mezuzah on my neck chain, she revealed that she was Jewish as well. After I mentioned that my wife and I were active in our local synagogue, Temple Emmanu-El, she revealed that her husband once was one of the executive directors of that same congregation when they lived in Honolulu years ago. Members of the tribe, unite!

That evening in Waikiki at a play area at the Royal Hawaiian Grove, my visiting daughter from Fort Worth, Texas, with two of her children met a young couple vacationing with a child the same age as my youngest granddaughter, Shila. Both of the six-year-olds instantly bonded and frolicked on the grounds for hours. After kibitzing with the parents, my daughter found out that they too were from Texas and lived about an hour away in Dallas. Within minutes, a play date was arranged in Dallas to coincide with a birthday party for the child who was so fond of Shila.

Coincidences can be frightful, but the ones that day were delightful.

schlomo
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP