Join the Town Hall on Turning Your Passion into Profit at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Birdwatching: Local Open Space Parks

Message 11 of 40

@ip3285  Crows are resourceful, aren't they? And pesky. I haven't seen any attacking smaller birds, but that doesn't surprise me.

We get mourning doves and European collared doves inside our covered chicken yard. They can get in but they don't know how to escape. 

Once in Yellowstone, we shooed a murder of crows away from a pair of Harleys. The crows were unzipping the bike's sidebags and stealing snacks! Whatever wasn't edible, they tossed to the ground. It was crazy! We held vigil until the owners returned. 

What part of the country are you in? Will you get to see migrating birds?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 40

In the past week or so we've had an influx of both huge crows and large mourning doves.  The doves walk around the ground picking up food that the smaller birds have dropped from the feeders, and around dinnertime they get on the feeder that's near the living room picture window.  They look so ungainly on the small perches, but they seem to enjoy their dinner, and we enjoy watching them.

The crows hover around my vegetable/herb garden, and I've found many tomatoes with "nibbles" taken out of them.  Somehow the crows are getting into the chicken coop, too, despite the chicken wire top over the entire large area.  They eat the chicken food, but fortunately don't touch the chicken eggs.  It's sort of hard to get upset with any of the birds since they're just keeping themselves well fed while keeping us amused.

The farm next to ours has several dead conifers that were attacked by pine bark beetles last winter.  It's interesting to see the crows perch at the very top of the trees. What a great sense of balance!  It brings back memories of Alfred Hitchcock's  "The Birds". 

Over the years I've watched these crows attack small birds including baby barn owls that were hatched in our barn owl box.  This is when I realize that the description "a murder of crows" is appropriate!

Message 13 of 40

Fairly routine bird walk today (as in not a migrating bird in sight).  We saw a flock of 100 blackbirds, two great blue herons, 3 eared grebes, 2 dozen pelicans and about 300 seagulls.

We are expecting snow tomorrow night and freezing temps for much of the early week. This temperature shift might serve to switch things up in the migration department.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 14 of 40

My brother-in-law sent this by text. They are in Hawaii. (yeah, bums Smiley Happy) It's a Red-crested Cardinal, also known as a Brazilian Cardinal. It's a common bird in Hawaii, but still a lovely bird.

red-crested cardinal.JPG

The Explore Biodiversity website on the Red-crested Cardinal: http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/Hawaii/BIRDS/Birds/Red-Crested%20Cardinal.htm

Interesting tidbit: it's actually a tanager rather than a cardinal.

Message 15 of 40

norac434785 wrote:
good

Hi @norac434785  and thanks for dropping by this birding thread.

What is it you are saying "Good" to?

Are you a bird watcher? If so, we'd love to hear what birds you're seeing in your area. Smiley Happy

Epster

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 40
good
Gold Conversationalist

Message 17 of 40

Soon Boulder ponds will be filled with buffleheads, mergansers and grebes. We'll have to say goodbye to the last of the pelicans. I saw two pellies thermaling yesterday. They'll be gone soon. Maybe that tundra swan will come back to Walden Ponds

Message 18 of 40

@JoyaDe We saw buffleheads in a farm pond this weekend! I'm guessing that means you are seeing the migration in full force.

For anyone hoping for more information, here's Cornell's All About Birds' Bufflehead page: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bufflehead/id

And Wikipedia's bufflehead images:

Male Bufflehead (wiki's photo)Male Bufflehead (wiki's photo)

Female Bufflehead (wiki's photo)Female Bufflehead (wiki's photo)

Message 19 of 40

Here's that green jay. I just have to see one of these one day. Smiley Happy

Green jay in TexasGreen jay in Texas

Here's Cornell's All About Birds Green Jay page: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Green_Jay/id

Message 20 of 40

@p774773b Good morning! (waves) You caught me sleeping in. Smiley Happy I trust you and yours are well.

That's such fun, your story about the red bellied woodpecker! I've yet to see one of those. Texas has sooooooo many species that we don't get here. Green jays? Yes, please! We were just saying a few days ago how we cannot wait for the mobilty to allow us to wander around in an RV looking for birds. Waiting for birds. Stalking birds full time. Smiley Happy

Your yard sounds like a bird haven. I'm getting a fantastic image. Keep baking that cornbread!