Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you going to restaurants again?

During the pandemic, many people have continued to support their local restaurants by utilizing delivery and take-out services. Have you eaten inside a restaurant, yet? What made you feel comfortable to do so?

Check out this video to hear from etiquette and health experts on how to navigate this "new normal."

Contributor

Yes we have been eating outside at restaurants and feel good about the safety guidelines in place.  Indoor Indoor dining has been expanded to 50% but we have continued to eat outside.  The restaurants we frequent have been following CDC safety procedures which is why we continue to go back to them.   

0 Kudos
Contributor

We've eaten out plenty and have felt safe. When it was warmer we always sat outside if possible. I'd say about 90% of establishments have been compliant with our region's rules. I've always felt safe but paying close attention to surrounding diners/staff!

0 Kudos

We live in WA state, and have relied on take out, but did venture into one of the restaurants that had indoor seating (though at reduced capacity).  We felt no fear in doing so and hope that things can return to normal soon.  Throughout the pandemic, we tried a new way of "dating".  On weekends, we take a nice drive through the country, do a little sightseeing, and find a restaurant that is doing take out.  Order, pickup, then find a quiet spot to enjoy a picnic in the truck.  It's allowed us to help support local establishments and still get out.  I would go stir crazy if I couldn't enjoy my favorite Mexican or deli restaurants once in a while.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

In addition to outdoor dining; I choose off hours.  We go when others are not going to be there and the restaurant is empty except for us.  I will no longer go or stay if the server does not wear a mask.  Had it happen once and it will not happen again.  We limit going out to no more than once a month and less most of the time.

William W Fernandez, Sr., J.D., Retired Attorney at Law; AARP Safe Driving Instructor/Trainer/Zone Coordinator in Central Florida
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do not typically go to restaurants anyway but I would not be going now even if I wanted to. The cases of the virus boomed again when restaurants opened back up even with precautions.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Dining out is off of our to do list. It's just to risky and the data shows the virus spreading out of control .

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have eaten inside numerous times; however, as cases mount again in our state I admit to being increasingly concerned.  I probably will curtail or be more limiting on inside dining in the near future.  As others have noted, compliance with safety guidelines seems hit and miss, especially with independent and family-owned restaurants.  At a diner I have gone to several times I noticed the busboy wiping down the table with a wet rag, not disinfectant, etc.  I enjoy this place but am now more concerned about eating there.  It is a good idea to take your own wipe (if you have them).  All I can find is hand wipes, not surface wipes.  I do enjoy going out and meeting friends who are also willing.  Perhaps I’ve pushed the envelope too much. Time will tell.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, but only those with outdoor seating; no indoor eating. That means takeout or delivery as the weather turns colder. Some eateries have developed food trucks which provide a safe alternative.

0 Kudos
Contributor

No.  I have utilized take out and curbside, but not dining at restaurants inside or outside.  I live alone.  That means if I were to dine with another person, that would be someone I do not share a household with, and we would be fewer than 6 feet apart and be maskless at least when we were eating.  Feels too risky to me.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

No and don't see that changing any time soon.

I enjoy cooking, so no great loss.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Have not gone for eating out yet. I am not encouraged by all the alerts of employees and guests that have been positive, and thus some people need to quarantine because of it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

1. Yes but only to limited places will feel safe at. Wearing masks except when at table eating. No more than six people (family members live with) and no more people. Use credit/debit not cash
0 Kudos
Contributor

We have been enjoying  eating outside,it reminds us of dining al-fresco in Europe. Once the restaurants opened for indoor dining, we went once and even though all the safety protocols were being followed, I did not feel comfortable with how many people there were inside the area we sat. One table in between, but I just don't trust the air filtration system.  Would rather eat outside with a gas outdoor heating system.

I have worked with the public the entire time of co-vid, Wish I could eat indoors with a mask on if it would mwork, lol!

0 Kudos

Really depends upon restaurant.  The chains  (Bob Eva s, Cracker Barrel, Applebee’s). Seem to do better at cleaning and spacing. Private owners do not seem as vigilant.  We experienced no condiments on the table at the chains and to request everything.  Smaller restaurants had their out. It also depends upon which state you live in or travel through. While out in Branson all bets were off for social distances as well as cleaning.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We have eaten inside a restaurant 1x and I felt perfectly safe because the restaurant adhered to guidelines and we wore masks except when eating (obviously).  The server wore a mask the entire time.

Other times we have dined at restaurants, we sat outside.  Still adhered to guidelines, but I am not sure if we will be trying outside dining as the weather gets cooler!!

0 Kudos

We order take-out and dine on outdoor patios (when they exist and weather is nice).  Have gone into our favorite breakfast place when we find only one or two other patrons there. 

0 Kudos

We've done a lot of drive through and curbside pickup and had "car picnics" where we then parked and ate in our car.  Reminded me of when I was a kid and we had actual "drive-ins" like A&W where you ordered from your car and ate in your car.  My 29-year-old was rather appalled at first of the idea of a "car picnic" but actually has come to like it.  We've also eaten in restaurants quite a bit.  A few we won't go to again because they weren't practicing good social distancing or wearing masks properly, but we do continue to patronize the ones who have their tables well spaced out and follow other safety protocols.  We're not the kind to spend hours dining, so we pretty much eat and go in under an hour.  I feel comfortable with the places we go to.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I won’t be eating inside a restaurant , until we get an scientific vaccine. I do order online and pickup only?

0 Kudos

My state is WAY too open and the twice a week restaurant cozy time is non-existent for me. You cannot wear a mask when eating (obviously) and I have no idea what is going on in the kitchen. I would not go to Disney Land/World either. The main thing is everyone's behavior is up to them, but I am waiting for a vaccine. Yes, I do miss my restaurants, just not worth it for me. 

I am in California, and while people are fairly careful in my area, it only takes one lapse and one can be exposed to a very dangerous virus.  My husband has chronic leukemia, and there just is no reason to take chances.  We have take out now and then, but never eat in a restaurant or on their patio.  I do go to senior hours at Costco and Trader Joe’s once or twice a month.  I always wear a mask.

0 Kudos
Contributor

No not eating in restaurants till covid is tamed.

Kudos
Views

Yes we go out at least twice a week.  We prefer eating out side when possible. If not able to we ensure that at the places we do eat at practice social distancing. That the servers wear masks 

and the patrons wear their masks until seated. When we leave we always use the hand sanitizer 

as well as washing our hands.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We have eaten outside a few times.  I am still concerned about eating inside because most restaurants do not have HVAC system filters that are sufficient to filter out any small sized Covid virus particles (like dust) that are entrained in the air and eventually are sucked into the air return vents of the HVAC system.  Unless the filters are MERV 13 or higher, the small sized entrained Covid 19 particles will pass right through the filters and will be blown back with the conditioned air into the restaurant and possibly into the faces of the unmasked eating patrons.  For this very reason Gov. Cuomo of NY, in July, prohibited enclosed malls in NY from reopening unless and until they have MERV 13 filters.  It does not really matter how spaced apart the diners are if there are Covid 19 virus particles circulating within the air in the restaurant.  Some restaurants have installed MERV 13 filters and others have installed special placed UV lights that "kill" the Covid 19 particles entrained in the air.  Other restaurants do not circulate any of the inside air but open special dampers so that all conditioned air blown into the restaurant comes only from the outside---I would be comfortable eating in any of these indoor restaurants.

Periodic Contributor

Yes, we've eaten at several very nice restaurants lately.  Started with some at Disney World where there are strict protocols about even getting on the property.  Actually going out to a French restaurant in Orlando in a couple hours.  We feel pretty safe with all the guidelines in place.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

How was Disney? Safe? Long lines?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have done drive thru and curbside. I am not comfortable dining in, however. I live in Wisconsin, and I just do not think it is safe.

I did eat with a friend at Red Lobster about 3 months ago. We brought chairs and a TV tray, did curbside, and ate in their parking lot under several trees, in a nice grassy spot. We social distanced, and there was a nice breeze blowing away from us.

Periodic Contributor

Since inside dining opened up here even with rules and restrictions the number of  cases has skyrocketed and that appears to be the cause. I haven't gone,  I like to make my own food anyway. So the guidelines are even more strict  here now, even requiring a customer log for id and tracing.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Lynn, No Thank you no outside eating, traveling, large groups small gatherings, no no no , Thank you.  I wanted to travel the world Corvus changed that.    I’ll stay in and eat same thing same thing.🙃

Racquel Evans
Periodic Contributor

The servers are very friendly and are eager to serve. They want you to enjoy your food and time in the restaurant. If there is a sign on the door to wear a mask please do. The servers are wearing one for the same reason you are, to be safe.

0 Kudos