Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you going to restaurants again?

Retired Community Manager

Are you going to restaurants again?

During the pandemic, many people have continued to support their local restaurants by utilizing delivery and take-out services. Have you eaten inside a restaurant, yet? What made you feel comfortable to do so?

Check out this video to hear from etiquette and health experts on how to navigate this "new normal."

Contributor

We have been enjoying  eating outside,it reminds us of dining al-fresco in Europe. Once the restaurants opened for indoor dining, we went once and even though all the safety protocols were being followed, I did not feel comfortable with how many people there were inside the area we sat. One table in between, but I just don't trust the air filtration system.  Would rather eat outside with a gas outdoor heating system.

I have worked with the public the entire time of co-vid, Wish I could eat indoors with a mask on if it would mwork, lol!

Really depends upon restaurant.  The chains  (Bob Eva s, Cracker Barrel, Applebee’s). Seem to do better at cleaning and spacing. Private owners do not seem as vigilant.  We experienced no condiments on the table at the chains and to request everything.  Smaller restaurants had their out. It also depends upon which state you live in or travel through. While out in Branson all bets were off for social distances as well as cleaning.

Contributor

We have eaten inside a restaurant 1x and I felt perfectly safe because the restaurant adhered to guidelines and we wore masks except when eating (obviously).  The server wore a mask the entire time.

Other times we have dined at restaurants, we sat outside.  Still adhered to guidelines, but I am not sure if we will be trying outside dining as the weather gets cooler!!

We order take-out and dine on outdoor patios (when they exist and weather is nice).  Have gone into our favorite breakfast place when we find only one or two other patrons there. 

We've done a lot of drive through and curbside pickup and had "car picnics" where we then parked and ate in our car.  Reminded me of when I was a kid and we had actual "drive-ins" like A&W where you ordered from your car and ate in your car.  My 29-year-old was rather appalled at first of the idea of a "car picnic" but actually has come to like it.  We've also eaten in restaurants quite a bit.  A few we won't go to again because they weren't practicing good social distancing or wearing masks properly, but we do continue to patronize the ones who have their tables well spaced out and follow other safety protocols.  We're not the kind to spend hours dining, so we pretty much eat and go in under an hour.  I feel comfortable with the places we go to.

Contributor

I won’t be eating inside a restaurant , until we get an scientific vaccine. I do order online and pickup only?

We go out to eat every few weeks. We go during the week when they are not so busy. The restaurants we go to have spaced seating. I had the virus in June and I was out of work for two and a half weeks, so we are careful and wear masks, but we still want some enjoyment out of life.

Periodic Contributor

I think it should be up to the person. My state is WAY too open and disregards the progress we made the past 6 months. If going to a restaurant is your enjoyment be my guest, but do not say that is the only way to get enjoyment out of life. I do not know where you live or what your state does. All I know is that I get glared at in the grocery store when I wear a mask. Why you picked me to reply to when a LOT of contributors also said they don't go to restaurants is beyond me. I did not appreciate being singled out for my opinion.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

My state is WAY too open and the twice a week restaurant cozy time is non-existent for me. You cannot wear a mask when eating (obviously) and I have no idea what is going on in the kitchen. I would not go to Disney Land/World either. The main thing is everyone's behavior is up to them, but I am waiting for a vaccine. Yes, I do miss my restaurants, just not worth it for me. 

Contributor

I am in California, and while people are fairly careful in my area, it only takes one lapse and one can be exposed to a very dangerous virus.  My husband has chronic leukemia, and there just is no reason to take chances.  We have take out now and then, but never eat in a restaurant or on their patio.  I do go to senior hours at Costco and Trader Joe’s once or twice a month.  I always wear a mask.

Contributor

No not eating in restaurants till covid is tamed.

Kudos
Views

Yes we go out at least twice a week.  We prefer eating out side when possible. If not able to we ensure that at the places we do eat at practice social distancing. That the servers wear masks 

and the patrons wear their masks until seated. When we leave we always use the hand sanitizer 

as well as washing our hands.

Contributor

We have eaten outside a few times.  I am still concerned about eating inside because most restaurants do not have HVAC system filters that are sufficient to filter out any small sized Covid virus particles (like dust) that are entrained in the air and eventually are sucked into the air return vents of the HVAC system.  Unless the filters are MERV 13 or higher, the small sized entrained Covid 19 particles will pass right through the filters and will be blown back with the conditioned air into the restaurant and possibly into the faces of the unmasked eating patrons.  For this very reason Gov. Cuomo of NY, in July, prohibited enclosed malls in NY from reopening unless and until they have MERV 13 filters.  It does not really matter how spaced apart the diners are if there are Covid 19 virus particles circulating within the air in the restaurant.  Some restaurants have installed MERV 13 filters and others have installed special placed UV lights that "kill" the Covid 19 particles entrained in the air.  Other restaurants do not circulate any of the inside air but open special dampers so that all conditioned air blown into the restaurant comes only from the outside---I would be comfortable eating in any of these indoor restaurants.

Periodic Contributor

Yes, we've eaten at several very nice restaurants lately.  Started with some at Disney World where there are strict protocols about even getting on the property.  Actually going out to a French restaurant in Orlando in a couple hours.  We feel pretty safe with all the guidelines in place.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

How was Disney? Safe? Long lines?

I haven't been but am an annual pass holder in Florida and so follow several FB groups. They are being very strict about mask wearing...cast members keep a close watch and are quick to ensure folks follow the rules. You must wear a mask at all times unless you are eating or drinking. And you can't walk and eat/drink, you must be stationery. They have rest areas in each park where you can remove your mask if you need a break. Social distancing is used there. Lines look long because they are using social distancing but the time in line is shorter than usual since they are limiting attendance. And they have hand washing and hand sanitizer stations everywhere. People who have been, said they felt well protected.

Contributor

I have done drive thru and curbside. I am not comfortable dining in, however. I live in Wisconsin, and I just do not think it is safe.

I did eat with a friend at Red Lobster about 3 months ago. We brought chairs and a TV tray, did curbside, and ate in their parking lot under several trees, in a nice grassy spot. We social distanced, and there was a nice breeze blowing away from us.

Trusted Contributor

Since inside dining opened up here even with rules and restrictions the number of  cases has skyrocketed and that appears to be the cause. I haven't gone,  I like to make my own food anyway. So the guidelines are even more strict  here now, even requiring a customer log for id and tracing.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Lynn, No Thank you no outside eating, traveling, large groups small gatherings, no no no , Thank you.  I wanted to travel the world Corvus changed that.    I’ll stay in and eat same thing same thing.🙃

Racquel Evans
Periodic Contributor

The servers are very friendly and are eager to serve. They want you to enjoy your food and time in the restaurant. If there is a sign on the door to wear a mask please do. The servers are wearing one for the same reason you are, to be safe.

Periodic Contributor

Yes I have. I have done drive thru and curbside many, many times. My kids took me out for Mother's Day. That was my 1st time for dining in. I have dined in many times since. I wear my mask and the people I'm with do also. There are always people who will wear a mask inside and then take it off. They never put it back on even after they have eaten and paid. I put mine back on after I have eaten. I think of it as being courteous to others and myself.

Honored Social Butterfly

It was just within the past forty-five days or so that I purchased lunch via the drive through at a fast food establishment.  Prior to that, I had been restricting myself to eating only food which I had prepared with my own hand--home cooking; that being since late February/early March.  No, I have not yet ventured into a restaurant to actually sit down and eat a meal either inside or outside on a patio.  And I do not feel compelled to do so.  I am just not convinced it is safe...for me.  So for the foreseeable future, I will continue to make home cooking my primary source of my daily meals.

Periodic Contributor

Me and my wife have eaten inside restaurants and found some to be safe and in compliance with CDC guidelines.

We make sure we have on masks, take our wipes in to clean table, and wear plastic gloves to avoid touching things directly. 

Some restaurants are up to par, and a few fall below standards. The Pandemic has forced society to pay attention to safety, sanitation and social distancing. These are all good things. 

Super Contributor

Lynn,   Yes, we have eaten at mostly those rests. with outdoor dining, and one or two inside. We ate at those because they thinned out their seating and have allowed plenty of space between tables & seats.  the wait staff all wore masks, (altho management should have reminded one or two that when your nose is sticking out, you may as well not be wearing anything at all.)  But I think we will continue to mostly order on-line & get carry-out after cold weather shuts us out of the outdoor dining, and until the vaccines become available-hopefully before the end of the year! Thx, IndyMo

We have supported our family run restaurants throughout the whole time. This is more political than virus. We do not live in fear. The restaurants are safe. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor

No one knows how this virus will affect them if they should get it, you cud survive it with no issues at all, you cud develop serious symptoms & be sick for a while or you cud die from it, it's better to be safe than sorry bcuz you don't know how it will affect you, the virus is real, good luck to you tho

Kudos
Views
Contributor

If I had a problem with going out to eat, that's simple I'd just stay home but for others to dictate to me not to, is wrong in a free country. Make your own choice and live with it. I have a real problem with others trying to tell me how I should live which seems like there's no shortage of.

Contributor

Yes live the way you feel comfortable, the virus is real and over 200K ppl know that, we don't know how it will affect us if we shd get it, it's a chance we're talking everyday now when we go out, I eat out, I choose to go when they first open and not as many ppl

Honored Social Butterfly

@jh44422427 wrote:

This is more political than virus. We do not live in fear. The restaurants are safe. 

You are so wrong in that analysis.

Dr. Fauci, when asked if he would eat IN a restaurant at this time, answered ABSOLUTELY NOT.

He is the scientist that knows best the danger of this virus.

Science, not politics, says don't gather in groups.

I support our family run restaurants by getting take out, leaving extra tip money, and encouraging others to do the same.

But you wouldn't catch me IN a restaurant.

TOO, TOO DANGEROUS!!!!

Regular Contributor

We only eat outside or take carry out.  Makes no sense to require a mask to enter a restaurant but take it off at the table.  (?)  The virus is airborne and moves like cigarette smoke in the air.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP