Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you going to restaurants again?

Retired Community Manager

Are you going to restaurants again?

During the pandemic, many people have continued to support their local restaurants by utilizing delivery and take-out services. Have you eaten inside a restaurant, yet? What made you feel comfortable to do so?

Check out this video to hear from etiquette and health experts on how to navigate this "new normal."

Silver Conversationalist

Nope and I really like doing it but nobody's food is worth getting sick over. I'm the only person I know around here who hasn't had covid at least once so I guess I'm doing something right.

Periodic Contributor

My husband and I have done take-out and continue to do so either with curbside pick-up or delivery. We have not eaten in a restaurant, even outside (currently all that is allowed where we live), as we feel there is still the chance of transfer since the wait staff are waiting on more than one table. And, at some point you do need to remove your mask to eat or drink. It is just not worth it to us.

Regular Contributor

My wife have ordered take-out seafood from a local business and eat it right there in the car. Its very cold this time of year (34 deg. F) so we have the heat on.  The business also has propane heaters outdoors.  The sea scallops and onion rings are darned good.  Sorta fun.  Trying to be careful of not making a mess in the car with the tartar sauce and ketchup.

Contributor

Certainly not! We've done a _very_ few carry-outs (five since the beginning of March), but otherwise cook our own food. Even though we live adjacent to a major metropolitan district, our own cooking is typically of better quality than what's available in restaurants. The contents of more than a million cookbooks are at our fintertips on the internet. Now's a great time to improve cooking skills and try new things -- a wonderful creative outlet. Need a night off? Cook larger quantities so you can freeze a few servings to reheat for those times you just don't feel like cooking.

Contributor

No, the only place we go to are grocery stores and Church. And we wear a mask and we keep our social distance. We don't even do take out at restaurants.

Periodic Contributor

We are trying to support our local merchants, including restaurants.  However, we limit our support of restaurants to curbside take out or outdoor dining.  We haven't eaten indoors at a restaurant since March and we won't until a safe and effective vaccine is available.  Eating indoors at a restaurant has been proven to be one of the highest ways to spread COVID.  Please work to stop the spread - don't ignore the experts like Dr. Fauci.  

Contributor

NO EATING IN RESTAURANTS YET!!!!!!!’nn

No I do not plan on dining in a restaurant for some time to come! SORRY!

Regular Contributor

I usually eat out with my siblings but we are not gathering or going out unnecessarily during the pandemic, so I have not eaten out at all.  I have ordered out only once, very recently, and will probably start doing that more often.  But it's become routine to make a dinner that I can freeze in individual portions and it's so easy to grab one and eat, rather than running to a restaurant to pick up food that I can make at home.

Kudos
Views

No indoor restaurant eating for my family since March... No Way. We do some drive thru and take home orders.. But, that is it!!!

Yes, I've gone to my daughter's and my favorite Italian restaurant. Prior to that I did curbside pickup and drive-through and touchless home delivery. The restaurant is locally owned and operated and they have been struggling. I'm by nature a worrywart and I wouldn't have gone inside if I thought for a moment that it was unsafe. They were operating inside dining at 50% capacity and the tables were marked accordingly. Everyone, staff and customers, wore masks when not eating or drinking. The first time I went in Mid-September, my daughter and I were the only customers.  

Katmeow5

Kudos
Views

Sitting inside any room with strangers not wearing masks for over 20 minutes is very dangerous.  One person , even non symptomatic, can spread the virus up to 16 feet and farther.  You don't know the air flow and could be in the path.  There was contact tracing of a large group of people who were positive for Covid and 75% said they had been to an indoor restaurant within the previous couple of weeks. 

I do eat on outside patios with a fan or breeze, but I live in Florida.

Contributor

No, I haven't even done drive through or picked up a pizza.

Contributor

Absolutely not eating in restaurants. Have done outside eating 3 times late Spring and early Summer. I do take-out about once a month.

Take-out only.

Periodic Contributor

We have eaten inside at restaurants about 5 times since March 7.  Our experiences have been good - serving staff have been extremely aware and careful as have we.   Other patrons are also being careful as well.   Its been enjoyable albeit not as upbeat as it was before the pandemic.  We’ve generally tried to tip extremely well because wait staff are putting themselves at risk for their jobs and we appreciate it.  So, its been fun to do.  I think we will only go out one more time though until next spring as case counts are suddenly skyrocketing.  Y’all be safe out there!

Contributor

Yes, but only outside. Once it is too cold or rainy we will go back to take out or curb side. 

Contributor

Yes we have been eating outside at restaurants and feel good about the safety guidelines in place.  Indoor Indoor dining has been expanded to 50% but we have continued to eat outside.  The restaurants we frequent have been following CDC safety procedures which is why we continue to go back to them.   

Contributor

We've eaten out plenty and have felt safe. When it was warmer we always sat outside if possible. I'd say about 90% of establishments have been compliant with our region's rules. I've always felt safe but paying close attention to surrounding diners/staff!

Periodic Contributor

We live in WA state, and have relied on take out, but did venture into one of the restaurants that had indoor seating (though at reduced capacity).  We felt no fear in doing so and hope that things can return to normal soon.  Throughout the pandemic, we tried a new way of "dating".  On weekends, we take a nice drive through the country, do a little sightseeing, and find a restaurant that is doing take out.  Order, pickup, then find a quiet spot to enjoy a picnic in the truck.  It's allowed us to help support local establishments and still get out.  I would go stir crazy if I couldn't enjoy my favorite Mexican or deli restaurants once in a while.  

Contributor

In addition to outdoor dining; I choose off hours.  We go when others are not going to be there and the restaurant is empty except for us.  I will no longer go or stay if the server does not wear a mask.  Had it happen once and it will not happen again.  We limit going out to no more than once a month and less most of the time.

William W Fernandez, Sr., J.D., Retired Attorney at Law; AARP Safe Driving Instructor/Trainer/Zone Coordinator/WNTT/CarFit Tech in Central Florida/ SDTEK Presenter & Virtual Producer.
Trusted Contributor

I do not typically go to restaurants anyway but I would not be going now even if I wanted to. The cases of the virus boomed again when restaurants opened back up even with precautions.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Dining out is off of our to do list. It's just to risky and the data shows the virus spreading out of control .

Periodic Contributor

I have eaten inside numerous times; however, as cases mount again in our state I admit to being increasingly concerned.  I probably will curtail or be more limiting on inside dining in the near future.  As others have noted, compliance with safety guidelines seems hit and miss, especially with independent and family-owned restaurants.  At a diner I have gone to several times I noticed the busboy wiping down the table with a wet rag, not disinfectant, etc.  I enjoy this place but am now more concerned about eating there.  It is a good idea to take your own wipe (if you have them).  All I can find is hand wipes, not surface wipes.  I do enjoy going out and meeting friends who are also willing.  Perhaps I’ve pushed the envelope too much. Time will tell.

Contributor

Yes, but only those with outdoor seating; no indoor eating. That means takeout or delivery as the weather turns colder. Some eateries have developed food trucks which provide a safe alternative.

Periodic Contributor

No.  I have utilized take out and curbside, but not dining at restaurants inside or outside.  I live alone.  That means if I were to dine with another person, that would be someone I do not share a household with, and we would be fewer than 6 feet apart and be maskless at least when we were eating.  Feels too risky to me.   

Honored Social Butterfly

No and don't see that changing any time soon.

I enjoy cooking, so no great loss.

Contributor

Have not gone for eating out yet. I am not encouraged by all the alerts of employees and guests that have been positive, and thus some people need to quarantine because of it.

Periodic Contributor

1. Yes but only to limited places will feel safe at. Wearing masks except when at table eating. No more than six people (family members live with) and no more people. Use credit/debit not cash
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP