Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Anyone listen to jazz and/or symphonic?

Message 1 of 18

@BallroomDancer926 wrote:
I love jazz---especially contemporary! Going to see Kenny G in December! Also love Big Band, since I'm a swing dancer!

Hi @BallroomDancer926 and welcome to the online community!

There are no restrictions: you are free and welcome to start a thread about the muscial style of your choosing over on the Rock N Roll forums. Smiley Happy

I started a swing thread (http://community.aarp.org/t5/Rock-N-Roll/Swing-Music-Anyone/m-p/1923589#M112761) and have been having fun listening to more swing (adored this music as a teenybopper). As it happens, yesterday I posted some electro swing, which I found very danceable.  Hope to see you posting up a storm!

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18
I love jazz---especially contemporary! Going to see Kenny G in December! Also love Big Band, since I'm a swing dancer!
Ballroom.Dancer926
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - You may mean well, but I've been on the AARP website for 10 years, so I know the obvious options. Regardless of how AARP has designed the website, I'm also respectful of the categories & people who post in them, and don't want to impose other topics where they don't belong. That doesn't seem as important to you; your choice. End of discussion.

Smiley Happy

Anything goes on the random topic forum. Anything. Post away!

crazy enough to change the world.jpgChange your world!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

@Epster - You may mean well, but I've been on the AARP website for 10 years, so I know the obvious options. Regardless of how AARP has designed the website, I'm also respectful of the categories & people who post in them, and don't want to impose other topics where they don't belong. That doesn't seem as important to you; your choice. End of discussion.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

An aside, and then really, folks, I'm outta here (sheesh, I've unsubbed this thread thrice now ... what's with the multple followup posts, anyway? Smiley Happy)

The powers that be created a Rewards for Good forum recently. To my knowledge nobody asked for one, however the need for a dedicated forum was apparent because there was a constant flow of posts dedicated to the Rewards for Good program. 

Constant. Flow. Of. Posts. Hint, hint. Smiley Happy Best wishes on your new music forum or sub-forum, @ASTRAEA and @retiredtraveler Smiley Happy Go get 'em!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - Opera & Classical music aren't "Rock n Roll", and it would be both disrespectful & confusing, to post discussions there on music genre that are totally unrelated to Rock.

@ASTRAEA Have it your way. You can complain that you have no place to discuss your style of music or you can take action to change that, that's all I'm saying.  Your choice. Smiley Happy

I'm back with another suggestion: start a thread about your style of music on the random topics forum, if you feel posting to the Rock N Roll forums would be disrespectful. 

I know I wouldn't have an issue, nor would I be confused about a classical thread over on the rnr forums, but of course that's me. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

@Epster - Opera & Classical music aren't "Rock n Roll", and it would be both disrespectful & confusing, to post discussions there on music genre that are totally unrelated to Rock.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

@ASTRAEA

I am still waiting for theater as opposed to movies : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@retiredtraveler - When AARP got away from the "managed group" format years back, they wouldn't consider creating a sub-category for General Music, in the "Entertainment" category!

I had a group for Opera at one point, but it didn't have enough activity to keep it going, unfortunately.

@ASTRAEA  Why not start a thread over there in the Rock N Roll forum with the types of music you prefer? Rebel, I'm saying. Smiley Happy People will find your post, especially if you use appropriate tags. If you post what others want to hear, they will come. Trust me. I get PMs from people thanking me for my posts over there (and elsewhere) all the time.  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

@nyadrn wrote:

Well just so you know people post about all kinds of music in Rock n Roll.  

Even OMG Country.   Music all has the same basis.

Right? We post all sorts of things over there. The more the merrier. Post what you like to listen to and people will respond.

Kudos
Views