Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anyone Else into Woo-Woo Stuff?

Bronze Conversationalist

Anyone Else into Woo-Woo Stuff?

Now don't laugh. In my career as a psychotherapist I discovered that astrology well and completely charted can provide amazing insights in the realm of personality strengths, challenges, and styles of approaching problem solving. The venerable father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, used it and thought any physician who didn't was short changing their patient and attempting treatment virtually blind to the fullness of their condition.

I was a skeptic too, until I learned that Sun signs alone tell us only a broken thumbnail's amount of useful information. Astrology -- NOT the newspaper horoscopes but real astrology -- is often more accurate as a tool in psychotherapy than other personality tests such as Meyers-Briggs or the MMPI. It's especially useful, I found, in couples counseling and parenting, and other relationship issues.

Curious? Want to know more?  Ask me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Trusted Social Butterfly

@DeahWA wrote:

Astrology ... is often more accurate as a tool in psychotherapy than other personality tests such as Meyers-Briggs or the MMPI.

Please, cite the scientific study.  Did the study exclude test subjects who believe in astrology and therefore would adjust their personalities to fit astrological predictions? Unless the test subjects are unfamiliar with astrology, the study is invalid.  Also, how often does a random horoscope selection (or whatever the astrological indicator was) beat the personality tests?

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Sorry, I should have said "in my experience using astrological charts with my clients".

I take it you're a skeptic. LOL

Psychological astrology does not engage in predictions. It's an analysis tool, not fortune telling. The tool works whether the client is familiar or unfamiliar with astrology. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@DeahWA wrote:

Sorry, I should have said "in my experience using astrological charts with my clients".

I take it you're a skeptic. LOL

Psychological astrology does not engage in predictions. It's an analysis tool, not fortune telling. The tool works whether the client is familiar or unfamiliar with astrology. 

So, you admit that psychological astrology isn't a science and involves poor epistemological standards.

Bronze Conversationalist

It's pointless to argue with skeptics. This topic isn't for you. Move on.

Trusted Social Butterfly

But, you, not I, said "woo woo" which is derogatory.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/woo_woo

Noun

woo woo (countable and uncountable, plural woo woos)

(slang, derogatory) A person readily accepting supernatural, paranormal, occult, or pseudoscientific phenomena, or emotion-based beliefs and explanations.

That reporter is a bit of a woo woo.

(slang, derogatory) Those beliefs.

He is really into all that woo woo.

Adjective

woo woo (comparative more woo woo, superlative most woo woo)

(slang, derogatory) Supernatural, pseudoscientific.

He made a living out of woo woo beliefs.

(slang, derogatory) Readily accepting supernatural, paranormal, occult, or pseudoscientific phenomena, or emotion-based beliefs and explanations.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP