Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led to Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: 60th birthday ideas?

Message 1 of 7

@Capricornian57  Congrats on your milestone birthday!

There are lots of great bus trips in your price range if you can deal with bus travel. My sister and I used to take these organized trips all over the place.  We also took the night greyhound to New York lots of times.  The price was right and it was convenient   

If if you are southeast what about the beautiful island resorts like Hilton Head. Off season prices apply now.   

Or or you can stay where you are and enjoy a night out at a nice restaurant for yourself.

Whatever you do enjoy!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 7

@Capricornian57  Is there a nearby observatory? Check to see if they have any star gazing programs going on.

Our parks and rec department does bird walks, astronomy nights, stuff like that. (They also offer trail building days and opportunities to help build playgrounds and such.)

Could you take a day and go to all the art or history museums in your area?

Could you travel to a big flea market and spend the day dickering?

Is there a scenic byway that you could drive? Pack up the music, a camera and a picnic and zooooom. Smiley Happy (Check the library to see if there's a book about that route, or maybe a specific location along the route: bonus fun!)

How about taking a self defense class?

Or a cooking class? (We once organized a bouillabaisse class on the beach ... what a blast (and a mess, but for the attendees it was pure blast Smiley Happy).

We have a 3-day ice sculpture event coming up: check with Chambers of Commerce or local business promotion group to see if there's an event happening nearby that would be fun to travel to.

What about going to a spa for the day? A hot springs?

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 7

That definitely got me thinking. Checked out senior activities, but unfortunately most  are booked up already. Hot air balloon trip is a brilliant suggestion. But still open to others! 

Message 4 of 7

@Capricornian57  Is there a national forest or state park within driving range? Maybe they have a guided tour of nature walk planned. Or perhaps a snowshoeing (or cross country skiing) class?

Oh! Hot air balloon! Maybe you could go up in one of those. (The opening graphics to an online class DH and I are taking shows a hot air balloon ascending over a mtn peak...wowzers!)

Since you are into exploring new things, maybe check with your local senior center: they might have an astronomy outing, or a class (pottery, cooking, weaving, beading, poker?) that would be just the way to celebrate your new decade.  hey may also have a themed group trip. Ours does bus trips to historic sites, museum events. Most the participants dress in period attire. They stop at a turn of the century tea house. I hear it's a complete blast. Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy

Let's keep brainstorming! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 7

@Epster, thanks for the ideas and questions. After looking at my finances today I realize I only have about $200 to spend, tops. So it's time to get really creative. 

Here are answers for you all:

Beachcomber: There are fine beaches nearby and I like to walk them, especially in the off season.

Cyclist: Nope.

Metro shopper: No, but I do like finding amazing things at thrift shops.

Epicure: Not really, though I do like a good bottle of wine.

Concerts: Meh.

Forest: Yeah! And mountains too. I wish I could combine a road trip with a photo walk, with someone who really knows what they're doing.

History buff: I did like your Gold Rush ghost town idea. Something with a theme would be good, especially if I could come away with pictures.

Flight/cruise: These are out because of my budget, but I do like riding trains.

I also like people-watching, making stuff, and learning new things.

Hope  this is enough to go on! I look forward to hearing all of your suggestions.

Message 6 of 7

Hi @Capricornian57  And welcome to the online community!  I bet we can offer all kinds of fun and interesting ideas for your 60th celebration! Smiley Happy

Let's start with some more deets:

What do you like to do? Are you a beachcomber, a cyclist, a metro shopper, an epicure? Do you like concerts, forest, road trips? Are you a history buff?  Do you prefer to fly, take a train trip or a cruise?

If it were me, celebrating my 60th, and planning a celebration for myself, I think I'd probably plan a group ride (DH and I are cyclists and have a good sized crew) to this one trail I keep hearing about but can never seem to get to. I don't know I'd tell them it was my birthday, however, because I'd not want a lot of fuss and I'd consider their participation to be the far better gift than anything else they could come up with. We'd have a trailside picnic (this bike trail is in the Rockies: the views are said to be legendary) and maybe after the ride stop for a brew or tea. 

I one time took a trip wth a circa 1930s book about Gold Rush era ghostowns. I searched for these fabled but often 'invisible' locations, read up on the characters and history of each town and camped as close to or within the 'town' as possible. This was a great trip, as I was then writing tourism brochures for a visitors bureau.

We climbed Mt Whitney to celebrate DH's milestone birthday one year. I climbed Mount Shasta to celebrate my high school graduation. We have a long standing habit, custom, whatever, of celebrating milestones with landmarks like that.

So those are trips for me. Tell us if they are the sort of thing you were thinking about. If they are way off base (a good possibility Smiley Happy) give us some pointers so we can make better suggestions. Smiley Happy

hello animated daisy.gif

Info Seeker

60th birthday ideas?

Message 7 of 7

Hello all,

I'm turning 60 on New Year's Eve. I'm (fairly) happy about it, but I don't want to let this milestone birthday slip by in the way it usually does. So I'm looking for ideas on how to make it truly memorable.

I would post this question on Facebook, but I don't want anyone to get the impression I'm begging for an invitation. I'm kinda tired of planning my own birthday celebrations, but that's where I am now, so I'd better make it fabulous for myself.

Here's a bit about me:

- I'm female and divorced.

- I live in the southeastern US and can travel up to 8 hours.

- I have plenty of time after Christmas through the New Year - but not a lot of funds.

- No one is planning a surprise (I don't think, anyway).

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!