Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

What foods are in your cupboard?

While not a panacea for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, some research suggests that common pantry foods such as canned pumpkin, nuts and dark chocolate may help protect memory, boost energy and reduce anxiety. Learn about more healthy foods, and how to store them, in this article. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Periodic Contributor

I like Lindt dark chocolate and dates with cacao for sweets; gold fish cracker Pepperidge Farm for salty snacks.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Health foods I regularly consume:  brewer's yeast, lecithin granules, ground flaxseed, and wheat germ. Just to clarify, I also consume my fair share of goodies. Health foods balance the goodies for the best of life.. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When I had custody of 2 great grand children years ago , it changed the way I shopped and cooked. I retreated back to cooking from scratch. So I have lots of healthy foods in my pantry. Bean (dried0, peanut butter, granola, old fashion oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, cream of wheat, cream of rice, olive oil, herbal teas, raw cane sugar, honey, un sweeten applesauce, salmon, mackerel and tuna in water, green beans in water no salt, plain Cheerios and rice krispie, Gluten free products for a family member, dried split peas, walnuts, raisins.

Social Butterfly

I like to keep a lot of nuts around.  Yeah, the edible kind, not the people kind.

Conversationalist

I also keep a lot of edible nuts in my pantry, this is the year I am going to get a truly healthy diet. 

Shari
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

😂 thanks for always giving me a good laugh @2Papa!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

With my diverticulitis I'm supposed to avoid nuts but I love them & want the health benefits so my solution is to buy finely ground nuts or nut flour or butter.  Still hard to get Brazil nuts in, though.  Almond milk is mostly water, so I don't waste money on it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Thank you, it is reassuring to read an article that confirms I am, generally, on a the right track in a dietary sense.  I started replacing Butter with Extra Virgin Olive Oil when I was in my 40's and started noticing dairy products made me feel rundown.  I have always eaten a lot of nuts and beans.

The article also got me wondering a couple of things:

I am hyper sensitive to caffeine so if I eat chocolate it is Dark, at least 85% Cacao and it's in the morning, not the evening...I kinda wonder if the time of day matters.

And I'm not a big fan of Pumpkin, but I make a Sweet Potato/Peanut Butter Pie in a Graham Cracker Crust that I eat more as a healthy snack than dessert: It's just Sweet Potatoes, Dry Roasted, Unsalted Peanuts run through a food processor until they turn into peanut butter, a little Milk, Spices and, maybe, a teaspoon of honey if my sweet tooth is fired up.

I don't remember the article mentioning Sweet Potatoes, and was wondering where they might fit in. 

Contributor

I'm going to make your pie.  Thank you, Eric!

Community Concierge

I'm not a trained nutritionist, so I can't answer all of your questions, but I do know that sweet potatoes are listed in this article on foods that may help strengthen your immune system. Thanks for sharing your comments!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP