Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Eating Right — the Mediterranean Diet

Community Concierge

Eating Right — the Mediterranean Diet

It’s actually more of an eating plan than a diet, and its popularity has grown since the 1950s, when research found that people living in the Mediterranean region of the world were healthier than the typical American. In particular, people of this region had lower rates of heart disease, thanks to their predominantly plant-based diet of foods high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients, plus regular physical activity. Salmon is one of the recommended foods in this eating plan, and in this Blackened Salmon With Vegetables recipe, a spice rub gives the omega-3-rich fish and accompanying veggies a nice kick. Find more health tips at AARP® Staying Sharp®, an AARP member benefit, today.

Periodic Contributor

Two good Mediterranean diet recipes that I eat occasionally
Greek Salad: Prepare some tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, kalamata olives, feta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano.
How to make it: Chop the vegetables and toss with the olives and feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, and sprinkle with oregano.

Greek Yogurt Parfait: Prepare Greek yogurt, honey, mixed berries, nuts (almonds, walnuts).
How to make it: Layer Greek yogurt, honey, berries, and nuts for a delicious and nutritious parfait.
In addition to the Mediterranean diet, there are two other diets that are also good for health, namely Dash and Flexitarian  diet.

Periodic Contributor

Those sound really good, but to be honest, right now it's so hot where I am, I just want to eat watermelon and jello -- breakfast, lunch, and dinner!  Not that I do because I'm a grownup, darn it!

Contributor

Afia is a frozen Mediterranean brand that makes authentic, heat-and-serve falafels with a super clean ingredient label.  They come in several flavors (Traditional, Garlic & Herb, Za'atar, etc.) in stores such as Whole Foods, Sprouts, Publix, HEB, and Raley's.  I love them as a traditional falafel wrap, but also topped in salads, quinoa bowls, and even for breakfast crumbled in my scrambled egg (a great protein boost!).  Each bag has 15 falafels, or 5-servings in a resealable zip bag.  Delicious!

Periodic Contributor

Babaganoush -- roasted eggplant dip -- is my favorite food.  You can eat it with pita, crackers, carrot sticks, or just spoon.  Since I developed diabetes, I've found bulgur doesn't raise my blood sugar like rice, and no cooking involved.  All you have to do is poor boiling water over it and let it sit 30 minutes, then eat or refrigerate.  If you don't have a halal store (similar to kosher, but Muslim) locally, there are a lot of online stores that sell prepared Mediterranean foods, like persianbasket.com

Trusted Contributor

Love the baba dip, not as common/available as hummus around here. Hmmm. Wonder if the nutritions are similar.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP