Content starts here
AARP Expert

Change your loved one's address

Moving has so many tasks that must be seen to. Changing the address of your parent or other care-receiving person starts with deciding what address to use. Is the person moving into assisted living or a continuing care retirement community, or 'nursing home' and not just for a short stay for rehab? or into your home? Easy if its to your home. It might take a while to get through to Social Security but if you keep on hold, you can do it. You'll be on hold to SSA if he or she is going to a facility, too. 


Make a list of all the businesses and organizations that are important for her or him, and change the address as you go. If the bank needs a power of attorney form and your loved one is still able to make financial decisions, go with him or her to the bank, and fill out the form right there. The bank will have a notary, too. If there are many banks and funds, just keep going through them. If there are bank accounts that could be closed, it's time to simplify. If you need help with choices, a financial expert and/or elder law attorney is helpful, if there are enough assets to warrant the expense.


I wish it were simpler. 


Even if you change the 'official' address to your address as primary caregiver/ power of attorney, do send out a friendly notice to their friends and relatives so that personal mail will go to where they are. Nothing cheers a person like a piece of personal mail.

Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP