Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: why marriages fail after 25 years

Message 31 of 45

We married young and got busy with life and then raising our kids. I noticed the distance growing between us but I chalked it up to the crazy pace of watching your kids evolve from little league into teenagers and all that comes with it. I kep thinking we would reconnect when the kids left home and things slowed down. By then, it was too late, we were two completely different people and for me, I didn't like who he had become. Later, I found out it was because he was spending time with a young woman who worked for him whose lifestyle was built around clubs and affairs with married men. We tried counseling but quit when I realized he was not being honest with me or our counselor and that he had no real desire to fix our marriage. I will never forget him telling me "I don't want to be the bad guy. The only light at the end of the tunnel for me would be if you killed yourself". It broke my heart to file for divorce but by then, we had been seperated a year and he was openly dating this woman, making the humiliation even more difficult to bear.    

The woman he couldn't live without moved on to another man a year or so later and although he's still single, he is a shell of a man I hardly recognize. I'm told he spends most nights drinking and it shows.  

I married a wonderful man and we celebrate our 10th anniversary this year. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 45

Ours was doomed from the beginning. He came on strong and I was flattered. We got along, but he acted "hurt" if I didn't go along with his emotional suffocation of me. His stages were 1) "Oh you would never go out with me. You're so pretty and I'm nothing..." 2) "You'll go out with me? Let's get married in a few months. I bet people can tell right now that we're a couple."  3) Can WE get rid of your books? Come on, you're not a team player if you won't do it. 4) Okay, MAYBE... I'll call off the divorce if you'll clear out the basement. 5) I've filed for divorce. I never liked you anyway.

At the time, I was almost 30, wanted to be married, wanted to have kids, we agreed that I'd be the at-home parent, so I am behind on 20+ years of job skills.

Oh, and after he filed, he stayed in our house and our bed for an extra 18 months, using the divorce filing as emotional abuse. "Okay, maybe....I'll call off the divorce if you'll jump through this next hoop.  Do you really have to save your wedding dress???"

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Why men don't post on abuse

Message 33 of 45

I think men are less likely to admit to being "abused," since it has a connotation of being on the defense. They are more likely to say something such as "she was bitchy" or "she complained about everything." I have heard men describe events that I would call abusive without calling it that.

Incidentally, when I got divorced I participated in a support group for divorced spouses that included both men and women. I found it very helpful to hear the differing points of view. One time I commented that women were more likely to blame themselves the first time they were divorced, but men didn't blame themselves until they had been divorced multiple times. Several men in the group agreed with me.

It's my opinion that men in general are more competitive and have more of a need to be dominant and that it shapes the way they look at marriage.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 45

I can relate to these posts, after 31 years of marriage my wife had decided to hook up with an old boyfriend from high school. She lied to the whole family and flew to Colorado to be with him for a week, but she got caught.  Really had a great marriage, never saw this coming. Wonder sometimes what people are really looking for in life. I have been divorced for about a year and a half but the pain and heart break is still there and probably always will be.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 45

I divorced my husband after 25 years. The marriage was always difficult. He was a good husband and father in many ways, but he was emotionally abusive. He wouldn't go to counseling with me.

It became more difficult when he ran for public office and we were in the public eye a lot. People would tell me how wonderful he was and how lucky I was to be married to him!

It was the hardest thing I ever did and one of the best decisions I ever made. I still love my husband, but I think of him as an in-law, instead of romantically.

My life hasn't turned out the way I planned, but I have been happier since then. I enjoy my freedom.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 45

So sorry for all those unhappy years!  It always amazes me when people complain after a divorce, as your X has, instead of working on the problems while IN the marriage!  I am convinced that at least 1/2 of the divorces could have been avoided if BOTH spouses had been open-minded and willing to work on the relationship.

I can totally understand why you are leary of marriage.  You discovered that for some people, it is simply a piece of paper; not a comittment to the relationship.  And, you probably have been delighted to learn that you can live without a man in your life, too.

My X divorced me for another woman.  He refused counceling.  I was devasted.  But, I discovered my freedom and learned to love it.  I found a wonderful man on-line, too.  We live in the same condo building now.  We share most meals, go out, travel and in many ways carry on life as a married couple.  Yet, we still have our own individual homes.  So far, it is working out very well.

In Response to Re: why marriages fail after 25 years:

I was married for 25 years and not happily.  My ex husband is a nice guy but lousy husband material.

He never held a steady job, spent the little money we had, and constantly bought beyond his means.  The phone didn't stop ringing with his creditors.   He did work at various good paying jobs throughout the years.  However, he mortgaged our home three times, each time promising to limit his boundless spending:  tools, cars and who knows what else.

While I worked several jobs, entertained our family during holidays, was homemaker, cook, etc. he volunteered in community life as though he had all the time in the world. 

Moreover, our sex life was nil or close to it.  He swore up and down that he didn't have a girlfriend on the side.  I asked him about counseling, but he didn't believe in it as he had gone to counseling as a teenager and didn't feel it served any purpose.  As I responded we weren't teenagers any longer and our marriage was in trouble, he ignored my requests for counseling, promised to change, and continued with his lifestyle.

Calls from creditors continued...

Approaching our 25th year anniversary, I reflected and decided I am still attractive, although never a beauty, could not continue another 25 years (if I had it) and had had enough.

The children (2), now adults, were traumatized.  Surely, they must have seen it coming.  My oldest sided with her dad, and I am the guilty party.  My younger child, to her credit, took no side.

He cries on Facebook how I did him wrong.

Now, two years later, I'm sorry I didn't divorce him sooner.  I live a modest lifestyle, stay in contact with my children, and have a good man in my life (through a dating site--yes, the sites do work, and I've had some adventures).  He is retired, a wonderful lover, and wants to marry.

The trouble we have is that I do not want to marry...again.

Thank you for allowing me to share my small story to add to the mix.

Posted by pd1570

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 45

I was married for 25 years and not happily.  My ex husband is a nice guy but lousy husband material.

He never held a steady job, spent the little money we had, and constantly bought beyond his means.  The phone didn't stop ringing with his creditors.   He did work at various good paying jobs throughout the years.  However, he mortgaged our home three times, each time promising to limit his boundless spending:  tools, cars and who knows what else.

While I worked several jobs, entertained our family during holidays, was homemaker, cook, etc. he volunteered in community life as though he had all the time in the world. 

Moreover, our sex life was nil or close to it.  He swore up and down that he didn't have a girlfriend on the side.  I asked him about counseling, but he didn't believe in it as he had gone to counseling as a teenager and didn't feel it served any purpose.  As I responded we weren't teenagers any longer and our marriage was in trouble, he ignored my requests for counseling, promised to change, and continued with his lifestyle.

Calls from creditors continued...

Approaching our 25th year anniversary, I reflected and decided I am still attractive, although never a beauty, could not continue another 25 years (if I had it) and had had enough.

The children (2), now adults, were traumatized.  Surely, they must have seen it coming.  My oldest sided with her dad, and I am the guilty party.  My younger child, to her credit, took no side.

He cries on Facebook how I did him wrong.

Now, two years later, I'm sorry I didn't divorce him sooner.  I live a modest lifestyle, stay in contact with my children, and have a good man in my life (through a dating site--yes, the sites do work, and I've had some adventures).  He is retired, a wonderful lover, and wants to marry.

The trouble we have is that I do not want to marry...again.

Thank you for allowing me to share my small story to add to the mix.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 45

There are men who are abused both verbally and physically.   It certainly does happen.  And that's a shame.  While resources for victimized women are not thick on the ground, there are even fewer available to abused men.  That's a shame.  But, until a man who's been victimized posts, none of us can discuss it, since we have no experience with being a victimized man.  That's also a shame, since victims of domestic abuse need and deserve to be heard regardless of gender. 

Why is it always the men who victimizes the women. Is there ever a dissuasion where the man is is the victim?

Posted by handbiker321

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 45

Nobody has stopped any man from posting in this group.  So, if there are guys out there who want to tell their experiences about being victimized by their spouses, please do so!

SallyJo

Why is it always the men who victimizes the women. Is there ever a dissuasion where the man is is the victim?

Posted by handbiker321

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 45

Kudos
Views