Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Separated after 30 thanks to booze

Message 1 of 3

Alannam ((hugs)) I commend you for making a choice to get clean and stay clean 8 years. My heart breaks for your situation but it would be tough to stay where you have to face alcohol all the time. I've been married to two one using my last one was clean 60 days when met marriage lasted 19 years... so 30 years is awesome & its not over yet there's HOPE! Even when someone gets clean life is not easy Programs of recovery were my lifeline and knowing I wasn't going through it alone helped so much. Being a firm believer of its a disease and only the person using can make choice to change just as you did I hope you've found some good programs to become part of and allow them and working steps with a sponsor to help you through the journey you are on. I've lived and witnessed many miracles in the program and its quiet possible you'll be a guiding light for your husband and son Learned long ago can't save anyone by going into their darkness just by being a light and example you can make a difference. So hang on and keep taking care of yourself and know there's always hope... truly is as long as they are still breathing there is hope but it is a selfish program you need take care of you 1st then maybe the rest will come but no matter as long as your clean life will be definitely better for you and worth it. I strongly suggest that you do program works on you and also attend family group program to help you deal with way your life is also affected by addicts.

Serenity prayer of programs: 

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

the courage to change the things I can 

and the wisdom to know the difference. 

The 3 C's of family program: 

You didn't CAUSE it

You can't CONTROL it 

You can't CURE it 

These were my saving grace 

Please know your in my thoughts and prayers

Just keep on keeping on 

One day at time...its going to be ok and gets better in time. You've made really big steps:  realized you needed to stop using & reaching out for help May you be blessed each day along your journey 

Thanks for sharing,  Ginger Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Separated after 30 thanks to booze

Message 2 of 3

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  I've never made it to 30 years of marriage, but I've certainly had alcohol be an influence over my relationships.  Long story short, yes it gets better.  Or at least it can get better.  I got some therapy that helped me to understand my own addiction and co-dependency as well as to deal with the grief of the relationship and the fear of starting over.  Here's sending all positive energy in your direction.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Separated after 30 thanks to booze

Message 3 of 3

Hi all. So here’s my sad story. I’m hoping someone can relate. I’ve been married for 30 years. I got sober 8 years ago. Not so much for my son, now in jail and my husband, in major denial. He chose drinking over me. I’m crushed. I’m grieving. Does it ever get better??  I’m 60 and living with my sister and her husband. It’s a mess.  

Kudos
Views
Replies