Make Your Weekends Even Longer. Add an Extra Day With Easy and Affordable Ideas From AARP Travel. Let's Go

Conversationalist

Re: Has Anyone Dealt With Financial Infidelity?

Message 1 of 6

I just ended my 45 year marriage due in large part to financial infidelity. I am still finding out more things he lied about 2 months after the divorce was finalized. My marriage did not withstand the deception and lies and I find it cathartic to tell my story so if you want to interview me, I would be willing to answer your questions!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 6
Don't know if you are even working on this topic since it is now AJuly 2015. But I am a 67 divorcee who after 20 years of being togeter was subjected to fraud by not only my EX but my divorce attorney and now I am dealing with financial ruin since he was ordered by the court to run the business his mismanagement cost me thousands of Dollars in lost and my credit rating so that I will have to file bankructy.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 6

My dealings with financial infidelity has been going on since the 7th year of my 53 year marriage.  I have spent boo-coo $$$$ on family, marriage and individual counseling over many years.  Most of the time it feels like "playing house" for the last 46 years.  Before I retired, I paid off the mortgage, 2 cars and was completely out of debt - except that I found out my husband had 2 credit cards. A Sony credit card with a balance of $12,000 and a Capital One card with a balance of $20,000.  It has been 5 years since I retired.  He has signed promised budget plans and participated in some of the counseling but still is very deceitful about his spending, hides his monthly statements, acts pouty, acting like childish anger and when confronted goes on spending sprees.   I will no longer pay for his counseling.  He eats out an average of 8 times/month with his clubs.  His monthly SSI is only $1081 out of which I require him to pay his own cell phone charges, his credit card bill, and his eating out.  After my last counseling session I paid $5000 out of my retirement savings when his balance was $12000, bringing it down to $7000.  Last month he put over $900 on the Capital One card and this month $1183.  The balance is now over $8000 again.  My heart aches for this person who everyone sees as "Mr Nice Guy" but he is a very sick money/spending addict.  I'm tired and resentful of being "Mrs Chump", protecting his  reputaion, playing house and looking like the bad guy when I say no to expensive events with his friends.

Conversationalist

RE: Has Anyone Dealt With Financial Infidelity?

Message 4 of 6

In Response to Has Anyone Dealt With Financial Infidelity? by thewritestuff

Would you think that if your spouse inherited 1.2 million dollars in AFLAC Stocks, and never told you the total amounts of any portions of this inheritance, but continued to purchase items, from cars to orders out of magazines, on line, and TV Products, that were found still in boxes in the basement not opened from years back.  Then she files for divorce telling the court that I spent all her money!! (When I did Not have any accessiblity to her accounts of any type!!)?

Info Seeker

Has Anyone Dealt With Financial Infidelity?

Message 5 of 6

I am a 51-year-old freelance writer who is writing a story on financial infidelity among seniors. A recent study showed that 31 percent of couples who have combined financial resources have been deceptive about money with their partners. Seniors - those 55 and over - are less likely to have committed  financial infidelity, but their relationships often are more damaged when it does occur. What is your experience?

I would like to talk to seniors who have experienced financial infidelity, such as having a spouse who opened secret credit card accounts, hid cash, lied about debts or keep a separate bank account without their partner's knowledge. I would like to know whether your relationship was able to withstand the financial infidelity and what steps you took to repair the relationship. If your marriage did not survive the infidelity, how did the experience change your future personal relationships? Do you believe financial infidelity is more accepted by younger couples than seniors? Are some forms of financial infidelity - making minor purchases without a spouse's expressed OK or occasionally splurging on clothes or golf clubs - acceptable? If you were a victim of financial infidelity, how did it alter the way you handle your money? If you would like to be interviewed for this story, please send me a message through this site. I look forward to discussing this important topic with some of you. You do not need to be quoted by name in the article.

Info Seeker

Has Anyone Dealt With Financial Infidelity?

Message 5 of 6

I am a 51-year-old freelance writer who is writing a story on financial infidelity among seniors. A recent study showed that 31 percent of couples who have combined financial resources have been deceptive about money with their partners. Seniors - those 55 and over - are less likely to have committed  financial infidelity, but their relationships often are more damaged when it does occur. What is your experience?

I would like to talk to seniors who have experienced financial infidelity, such as having a spouse who opened secret credit card accounts, hid cash, lied about debts or keep a separate bank account without their partner's knowledge. I would like to know whether your relationship was able to withstand the financial infidelity and what steps you took to repair the relationship. If your marriage did not survive the infidelity, how did the experience change your future personal relationships? Do you believe financial infidelity is more accepted by younger couples than seniors? Are some forms of financial infidelity - making minor purchases without a spouse's expressed OK or occasionally splurging on clothes or golf clubs - acceptable? If you were a victim of financial infidelity, how did it alter the way you handle your money? If you would like to be interviewed for this story, please send me a message through this site. I look forward to discussing this important topic with some of you. You do not need to be quoted by name in the article.