Join the Turning Your Passion into Profit Town Hall on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

RE: Are you happy living alone?

Message 51 of 59

In Response to Are you happy living alone? by sallyjoq

When I first moved out, I couldn't afford a place of my own, so I stayed with a girlfriend I've known for 25 years.  Her daughter was away at college, and they had plenty of room, so it worked out fine.  When her daughter graduated, she needed her room again, as she would be going to grad school near here.  I looked on Craig's List for a roommate, or a room to rent, because I still didn't make enough money to afford my own place.  I rented the basement of a house, but got tired of my food disappearing, my room being gone into, etc.  I started looking around for a place to rent, and finally found a one bedroom apartment that I can barely afford.

I've been here for six months now, and there are things I like as well as things I don't like so much.  Both houses where I lived had multiple pets, one of which was always glad to keep me company.  I can't afford the $400 fee here, so I miss the companionship of a pet.  However, I like knowing my stuff will be where I put it, if I can only remember where that is!  I like not having to share a bathroom with anyone, especially since I was the only one who cleaned it.  I like being able to keep whatever hours suit me, and not worrying about waking others up.  And I like being able to have my friends over and not have someone else "just happen" to drop by for a while.  I like being able to listen to whatever I'm in the mood for, even if it's just the hum of the computer.

Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Message 52 of 59

I'm very happy now that the divorce is final.  I like coming home to a quiet home of my own (apartment because he got the house).  I'm not looking for a room mate.  I like to "window shop" in Match.com but in no way have the urge to connect.  I miss having a dog (he got those too) but am way to busy now and it wouldn't be fair to the dog.  

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 59

Fear of being alone kept me in an abusive marriage far too long. Though I don't necessarily like it, it is far less lonely than the marriage I was in. There is good and not good about it and I try to focus on the good.

Sanddollar27

Silver Conversationalist

Message 54 of 59

Yes, very happy alone.    Why be in a toxic relationship as my marriage was ?   Yes, admittedly it is lonely at times, but then again, I have my freedom, my peace and quiet and my own space.     My Ex husband is still making life miserable for me.   Divorced for over four years and we are going back to court.  He stopped paying my alimony and wants to modify the decree.    At this point in my life, why would i want to be involved with a man?    Can't trust the ones i've known as shown by my ex husbands antics.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 55 of 59

I spent so many years alone while I was married that it feels pretty normal to me. I can't  say that this is the best living arrangement for me, but I am used to it.  

Gold Conversationalist

Message 56 of 59

My 21 year old son lives with me but gone most of the time with his friends.  I am perfectly content with living alone.  I have a nice apartment, wonderful friends, a wonderful support group, and a great group of friends and family.   I come and go as i please and can hold myself accountable for everything.  

Silver Conversationalist

Message 57 of 59

Hi, Sally.  Yes, I am happy living alone.  I have freedom to live as I please, without having to worry about anyone else, which feels WONDERFUL!  I have pets, which helps, also.  

I was fortunate enough to get the little house at the time of the divorce.  I am still paying the mortgage, but I can handle the payment.  

When my ex divorced me, he didn't want the house, because he thought he was "in the money."  His young girlfriend had wealthy parents, so he thought he had it made, and even told me so. !!!!!!!  Unfortunately, for him, her parents did not like him, considered him way too old and poor for their daughter, and helped to break them up.  

I would never want to live with him again, because I have never figured out a way to stop him from emotionally abusing me.  If I lived with room mates, they would have to put up with my pets, and I would have to put up with whatever baggage they have.  I know, if I am lucky enough to live to a very old age, I will probably not be able to live alone, but that's okay.  

I am retired now, but have a lot of interests, and plan to increase my social activities.   

Gold Conversationalist

Are you happy living alone?

Message 58 of 59

Are you okay living alone as a divorced person.  Or, are you always "on the look-out" for some other kind of living arrangement?

Gold Conversationalist

Are you happy living alone?

Message 58 of 59

Are you okay living alone as a divorced person.  Or, are you always "on the look-out" for some other kind of living arrangement?