ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: What Would You Have Done Differently?

Message 1 of 70

I should have followed my gut and put my 401K distribution in After taxes.  I was making big bucks and that was the time to pay taxes,

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 70

Hind site is always easy but there are good reasons for making changes that do not always work out.  But you will never improve yourself if you do not take some risks.  Sometimes it leads to better things down the road.  I always pray for direction when having to make big decisions and they has alwasy worked for me.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 70

Nothing!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 70
That is so true. Just like when I went to high school, a lot of us could not afford college. All I ever wanted to do, was be a wife and Mom, I did it, was great at it, but, those skills don't get you very far in life, not in the work place anyway, unfortunately. I guess it will be what it will be. I know the future is grim, since I do not have funds to start putting money away, so I just try to take one day at a time. Had one guy I dated, tell me I am the most frugal lady he had ever met. I need to be, plus, being 60, I don't see the point in over buying, not taking it with you when you die, plus, I have a motto, that less is better. It also helps to take care of the things you have, fix what you can, THANK YOU GOOGLE (lol) and just keep plugging away, hoping that something good will come along.
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 70

Forty years ago, we didn't get the prepare for retirement warnings like we do today. U.S. Savings bonds seemed to be the only thing marketed to help finance retirement beyond social security and pensions. IRA's were fairly new and 401K's unheard of. So I don't think we were educated enough about planning ahead; Social Security would be there.

I also got hooked onto the excuse of "I have to survive today before I can worry about the future. I think both my wife and I had unrealistic expectations. I had a decent responsible job, but I wasn't getting rich on it. It didn't take long before I realized that my wife and I were not on the same page when it came to finances; she once said if you never owe anything, you never have anything, essentially another live for today proposition.

Essentially, you have to get away from the live for today and leave the future to the future way of thinking. You and your mate have to get on the same page on money matters or reconsider the relationship; it would have been better knowing that going in.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 70

I was a long term wife and mother. I worked very hard all those years. With same man for 32 yrs., married 24.5 to him, two grown kids. After I divorced him, I have struggled from low pay, hard job after another, never knowing I would end up with cancer, lymphedema, back is bone to bone and now 3 hernias. I struggle yet daily with money, everything. Still trying to find that one decent job that I don't dread going to and make some money. Almost 14 yrs. now of this, sick of it. Hard to go on at times or want to. I wished I had put ME on the 'to do' list for all those years, but, instead put my husband (ex) and my kids first. I am glad I stayed home to raise my kids, but, now, I wonder why I didn't worry more about my future. I guess I never planned on being divorced, never wanted it!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 70

I would have had my 401 stronger. But I am very happy, I was able to retire with 30 yrs service at the age of 60. We travel, we do whatever we want to do.

Info Seeker

Re: Put away more in the 401(k) at work.

Message 8 of 70
Without it taking away from your payment.
I'm sorry for the auto-correct
Info Seeker

Re: Put away more in the 401(k) at work.

Message 9 of 70
Good for you and glad all looks good in your home. Just curious and yes I know this is none of my business but you did say we live on one social security payment....is spouse not old enough to draw? Or even if spouse didn't make much, he/she could draw on your social security without Tim taking away. From your payment if you've bee married at least ten years.
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 70

I would have bought a smaller hopuse 3 years before retirement.