Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: What Would You Have Done Differently?

Message 1 of 58 (1,971 Views)

JEdmund wrote:
".... have called me cheap for as long as I can remember. I'm very conservative and always strived for stability. They mocked my husband and I for not "living it up" when we were younger........realize that they have no retirement so suddenly we're geniuses.....".
Yup!!!!

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 58 (1,988 Views)
I tend to agree it's a bit over the top. I'm the oldest and my three sisters have called me cheap for as long as I can remember. I'm very conservative and always strived for stability. They mocked my husband and I for not "living it up" when we were younger. Now my sibs have each lost a home and are entering into 40s and 50s and suddenly realize that they have no retirement so suddenly we're geniuses. I would never laugh back at them but sometimes I feel like it!
Silver Conversationalist

Message 3 of 58 (2,720 Views)

I would have followed the Permanent Portfolio (PP) Investment Strategy decades ago if I knew about it then instead of following the traditional advice offered by the financial services industry.

The PP:

1. Simpler, safer, less volatile and has ultra low fees.
  2. No need to time the market or guess which asset class will outperform.
  3. Controls fear and greed; the biggest obstacles to success.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 58 (2,736 Views)

mb18085617 wrote:
I'm on social security disable ssa my income 1400 I like to start invest to age 65or69 what can I do my number XXX-YYY-1234
XXX

PLEASE GO BACK & EDIT YOUR POST, REMOVING YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER. IT'S NEVER SAFE TO DO THAT ON A PUBLIC MESSAGE BOARD!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 58 (2,742 Views)
Good night I like to spake to invester thank you
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 58 (2,743 Views)

I'm on social security disable ssa my income 1400 I like to start invest to age 65or69 what can I do my number [telephone number removed]

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 58 (2,777 Views)
Although I still have a few years left before retirement I could be much further along if I would have had someone to teach me more about pouring more into my 401 k. and not touching it , having an IRA that was being built over the years and if I would have asked more questions about my first spouses financial goals, instead of just being in love :-) I am positive I would be way ahead of the game. Because I have been blessed to have always had great paying job. But the battle is not over yet, I am building the retirement back up after divorce and making smarter financial decisions. And asking questions from those that are where I want to be in retirement.
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 58 (2,841 Views)

Ouch goldye,

Happy to see family and friends suffer ? Be careful what you wish for !!!

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 58 (3,901 Views)

Dear Respected Social Butterfly,

This is our opinion only. Reg. what would we nave done differently

Me and my wife have been with xxx insurance co. Medicare recipient for quite a while and had no problems as long as we were living in Georgia, but recently we moved to Richmond, VA and we did everything that they advised us to do, including getting doctors they recommended us to register with. Then the problems with the Insurance company started. They generated all sorts of excuses regarding medical payments. This morning my wife spent about an hour to iron out the problems. , but no success.

If we had known that a VA insurance company could be this troublesome to Medicare senior citizens we would have done differently. We would have changed the Insurance Company as well. Now we are stuck with them for at least a year, and they know it too.

Medicare receipian

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 58 (3,910 Views)

ja9180759 wrote:

I should not have  listened to my co workers who told me to save before taxes.  I am now restricted because of the tax consequences of withdrawals. It would have been easier to pay taxes when I was working and could afford it.

When you pile up big IRAs, 401(k)s, those RMDs are a burden. Agreed. I am saving a pile in a taxable brokerage account now, as I no longer qualify for a Roth.

What I would have done differently - buy used cars, not new! I buy used now, though I treat my wife to a new one, but only about every decade, and a modest one.

Sincerely,
Peter