AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: What Would You Have Done Differently?

Message 11 of 70

I would have paid my Credid Cards off before retiring!!!  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 70

Though I still do not see how I could have done this, I wish my mortgage was paid in full. I have about 10 years left and I will be 76.I did refinance a few times , mainly to help my 2 sons get into their own houses. Yes, I know there were other ways, but this is what my wife and I wanted to do. We are still glad we could get them into a house and they have kept up all ongoing , related expenses. Without this help, they would probably still be renting and getting nowhere with this.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 70

JEdmund wrote:
".... have called me cheap for as long as I can remember. I'm very conservative and always strived for stability. They mocked my husband and I for not "living it up" when we were younger........realize that they have no retirement so suddenly we're geniuses.....".
Yup!!!!

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 14 of 70
I tend to agree it's a bit over the top. I'm the oldest and my three sisters have called me cheap for as long as I can remember. I'm very conservative and always strived for stability. They mocked my husband and I for not "living it up" when we were younger. Now my sibs have each lost a home and are entering into 40s and 50s and suddenly realize that they have no retirement so suddenly we're geniuses. I would never laugh back at them but sometimes I feel like it!
Silver Conversationalist

Message 15 of 70

I would have followed the Permanent Portfolio (PP) Investment Strategy decades ago if I knew about it then instead of following the traditional advice offered by the financial services industry.

The PP:

1. Simpler, safer, less volatile and has ultra low fees.
  2. No need to time the market or guess which asset class will outperform.
  3. Controls fear and greed; the biggest obstacles to success.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 70

mb18085617 wrote:
I'm on social security disable ssa my income 1400 I like to start invest to age 65or69 what can I do my number XXX-YYY-1234
XXX

PLEASE GO BACK & EDIT YOUR POST, REMOVING YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER. IT'S NEVER SAFE TO DO THAT ON A PUBLIC MESSAGE BOARD!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 70
Good night I like to spake to invester thank you
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 70

I'm on social security disable ssa my income 1400 I like to start invest to age 65or69 what can I do my number [telephone number removed]

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 70
Although I still have a few years left before retirement I could be much further along if I would have had someone to teach me more about pouring more into my 401 k. and not touching it , having an IRA that was being built over the years and if I would have asked more questions about my first spouses financial goals, instead of just being in love :-) I am positive I would be way ahead of the game. Because I have been blessed to have always had great paying job. But the battle is not over yet, I am building the retirement back up after divorce and making smarter financial decisions. And asking questions from those that are where I want to be in retirement.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 70

Ouch goldye,

Happy to see family and friends suffer ? Be careful what you wish for !!!