Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Re: The Hartford does not want seniors or any real life issues that go along with them!!

Message 1 of 3 (1,303 Views)

just read your comment re. "the Hartford" insurance. We had used them in the past but when we had an accident our rates went from around $1100 for two cars to about $3000. We then switched to AAA and have been with them ever since (going on 7 years now).

Our policies are up for renewal and will look at Harford (and others) again. My point of all of this is that the Insurance Companies are not "our friends". They are in the business to make money and unfortunately are necessary. So, I take a look every year when my policies renew.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: The Hartford does not want seniors or any real life issues that go along with them!!

Message 2 of 3 (1,857 Views)

chuckycheezzz wrote:

We have had The Hartford for over 2 years paying by the year on time with no problems, no accidents and no issues.

We care for my husbands 98 yr old mothers who regularly gets the mail and lots of it disappears, we have made sure bills are paid on a regular basis even if we dont have the actual bill in hand.

We recently purchased a new car (in march)and were told there would be a small increase in the bill, which we waited and watched for, and never received, we went to pay the yearly bill of 1057.00 on June 18, 2016 and we were told we were not insured with them any longer and had been cancelled.

Found out there had been a $19.00 bill that was sent and somehow we missed it. I talked to and tried to explain the situation to the agent with no luck, then talked to a supervisor and again all she said was sorry we cant renew the policy. I have never been treated so unprofessionally over $19.00. When we have never had a previous issue or credit issue with them. Needless to say within 30 minutes we were fully insured through Progressive, easy and fast and affordable, only time will tell if they like seniors.

I must say if The Hartford is going to represent AARP on this site they need to not only take better care of seniors, but be a bit more understanding of real life, and living with a 97 year old that loves to hide the mail is NOT a one family issue. If we had previously had late payments or problems paying the bill i would certainly have understood. Please rethink your coverage if you have The Hartford!!..

Thanks for reading

Hartford told you the truth when you called them with the new car information, that there would be an increase in premiums.  You waited and watched but did you call them when it didn't show up and yu knew you had a problem with disappearing mail.

Did you even get the documentation from them that the new car was covered?

I doubt that the AARP has any influence with the day to day operations or collections of amounts owed with Hartford. 

If if the same occurs for some reason with Progressive, they will most likely cancel your policy too.  If you read your policy, one of the reasons for cancelling coverage is the non-payment of premiums after a grace period.  This is the same for just about all insurance, no matter the type.

Info Seeker

The Hartford does not want seniors or any real life issues that go along with them!!

Message 3 of 3 (1,867 Views)

We have had The Hartford for over 2 years paying by the year on time with no problems, no accidents and no issues.

We care for my husbands 98 yr old mothers who regularly gets the mail and lots of it disappears, we have made sure bills are paid on a regular basis even if we dont have the actual bill in hand.

We recently purchased a new car (in march)and were told there would be a small increase in the bill, which we waited and watched for, and never received, we went to pay the yearly bill of 1057.00 on June 18, 2016 and we were told we were not insured with them any longer and had been cancelled.

Found out there had been a $19.00 bill that was sent and somehow we missed it. I talked to and tried to explain the situation to the agent with no luck, then talked to a supervisor and again all she said was sorry we cant renew the policy. I have never been treated so unprofessionally over $19.00. When we have never had a previous issue or credit issue with them. Needless to say within 30 minutes we were fully insured through Progressive, easy and fast and affordable, only time will tell if they like seniors.

I must say if The Hartford is going to represent AARP on this site they need to not only take better care of seniors, but be a bit more understanding of real life, and living with a 97 year old that loves to hide the mail is NOT a one family issue. If we had previously had late payments or problems paying the bill i would certainly have understood. Please rethink your coverage if you have The Hartford!!..

Thanks for reading